997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does this warning apply to Porsches ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Does this warning apply to Porsches ??

I saw a warning on the suction cups of a radar detector that said some cars have a coating on the interior glass that can be ruined if suction cups are applied to it.

I am not referring to it not working well but referring to the fact that something intrinsic to the interior of the windshiled glass would be ruined.

Does anyone know if Porsche has this "coating" or has anyone had a problem by using suction cups on their front windshield ?

Last edited by bosco42; 07-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Who posted this warning..............the cops??

Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wallmon
Who posted this warning..............the cops??

Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I am mounting my PBox on the interior windshield using the suction cups. No problem at all.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
MKC
MKC is infamous around these parts
I used a radar detector held in place on the interior windshield with suction cups on my 2008 TT - for a couple of years and never had any issues...

Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
I am pretty sure there were some older P-Cars that had an anti-lacerative coating on the inside of the windshield and it probably refers to those cars.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Kind of off topic, but the manual does state that there is a "hydrophobic" coating on the door windows which prevents soiling. "This coating is subject to natural wear and can be renewed."
Any idea what the heck they're talking about?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Does not apply to Porsche windshields.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Does not apply to Porsche windshields.
Understood. That wasn't my question though. Anyone know what this 'layer' is that is applied to the door windows?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Kind of off topic, but the manual does state that there is a "hydrophobic" coating on the door windows which prevents soiling. "This coating is subject to natural wear and can be renewed."
Any idea what the heck they're talking about?
Hydrophobic essentially means it repels moisture.
It's like the stuff they apply to the glass on the iPhone. It keeps moist soil (like body oil) from embedding or sticking to the glass so easily.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Hydrophobic essentially means it repels moisture.
It's like the stuff they apply to the glass on the iPhone. It keeps moist soil (like body oil) from embedding or sticking to the glass so easily.
Thanks ruf t. I'm just wondering what material they use for this layer. I had to reach far back, but I remember the definition of 'hydrophobic' from high school chemistry

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
madru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant future
good look

Old 07-17-2010, 09:07 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Thanks ruf t. I'm just wondering what material they use for this layer. I had to reach far back, but I remember the definition of 'hydrophobic' from high school chemistry
For that, you will have to ask Porsche as there are many hydrophobic compounds.

Oh, and as I was thinking about this I realized I was wrong to use the iPhone as an example as it uses an oleophobic (oil repellent) screen, not a hydrophobic screen.