997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What exactly makes a BRV ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
What exactly makes a BRV ?

trying to research answers to this question...where does a BRV fall under

Blow off/ atmospheric
Diverter/ recycled

What is a BRV?????...

the 2007/2008/2009 have VTG/BRV chargers?

This changed for the 997.2 TT?

What changed exactly and more importantly WHY?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
thats right its the blow off valve
its the same u can use the 07 BOVs on the 997.2
and it helps the air flow to stay in the turbos for longer and more !

as an example from my experience and what i sow
i have a manual 997tt when i shift from a gear to another my boost bar get to the zero but when i fixed the BOV's when i shift with the same speed of shifting it doesnt get empty to the zero there will still be air flow in the turbines ..
hope this will help

Last edited by yalmutawa; 04-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
ok so it's a blow off style meaning excess boost is released into the air not recycled into the airbox?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I really need to EYE BALL my motor damn it...LOl

Old 07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
BRV = Boost Recirculation Valve. The factory has a spring and rubber diaphram where aftermarket ones such as Forge, EVOMS, Agency Power use a CNC machined part with a piston and spring. This helps the boost come on faster and hold more consistant where the rubber diaphram part can bleed boost at the top RPM. These are mounted on your turbo. They do not vent to atmosphere like a Blow Off Valve. They are mounted to your turbo unlike the earlier 996TT.

Here is a picture of our Agency Power BRV's

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the response. Ok so a BRV is different solely because it is DIRECTLY ATTACHED to the Turbo unlike a diverter valve which has hose plumbing for the intake charge and the recycle return.

But the mechanics are same. Correct?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Basically yes they are the same. Relieving the pressure built up in the system.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I have a quick question for you BRV experts. My car is 100% stock manual car at the moment.

When I first got the car and during WOT shifts from 1st to 2nd, for example, I would hear swooshing/blow off valve noise which sounded pretty darn cool. Lately, I can't seem to hear any noises.

So first question is do you guys hear noises during WOT shifts? I wonder if there is something wrong with my BOV. There is no loose hose etc and I seem to be holding decent boost.

Thanks

Last edited by sbkim; 04-25-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sbkim
I have a quick question for you BRV experts. My car is 100% stock manual car at the moment.

When I first got the car and during WOT shifts from 1st to 2nd, for example, I would hear swooshing/blow off valve noise which sounded pretty darn cool. Lately, I can't seem to hear any noises.

So first question is do you guys hear noises during WOT shifts? I wonder if there is something wrong with my BOV. There is no loose hose etc and I seem to be holding decent boost.

Thanks
I don't think you should be hearing anything. Your recirc on the BOV might be loose. You'd be having warning lights if anything was wrong with your wastegate.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I don't think you should be hearing anything. Your recirc on the BOV might be loose. You'd be having warning lights if anything was wrong with your wastegate.
Thanks so much svt. I took it to dealer just to scan and there were no codes. It's just odd that I used to hear slight pfffft noise before and not any more.