997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My 2011 911 Turbo S tracked, first time with dual camera video and 3-chl data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM
wyo997 is infamous around these partswyo997 is infamous around these parts
My 2011 911 Turbo S tracked, first time with dual camera video and 3-chl data

Let's just say it was a powerfully fun birthday, tracking a two week old car- just 300 miles beyond its 2000 mile break in- at High Plains Raceway in Byers, CO.

I put 2000 miles on my car in the two weeks since July 1 delivery,
(my break in story)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ed-driven.html

I drove 200 miles a day, just so I'd be ready to change the oil... then, two days later, be at the track, pushing the car as hard as it could go (at 2300 miles total). On track, I hit the rev-limiter three times- which in my opinion is sloppy driving and I shouldn't be there again, since the torque plateau is well below 6000 and the limiter is at 7000. On track, I found 2-3 gear shifts as low as 3000 rpm were effective and in the higher gears, 5000 -range shifts were the sweetest. On the straights, I'd pull 6th all the way into the just-below 6000 range (which is where hp plateaus anyway). In my opinion, there is hardly any reason to run these engines- ever- above 5000 rpm, since there's hardly any gain in torque and hp.

I lapped most of the novice field (I'm honest) twice in the morning and once in the afternoon and think that by September, I'll be ready to nail 2,3,4,5,10 and 11 at Laguna Seca.

Up against a beautiful 2011 911 Turbo, the Turbo S showed what a difference the full-time boost and extra hp is. Despite being VERY careful, the limiter bit about three times. The revs, coming out of tight hairpins, build so fast, they're amazing. But with concentration, the Sport Plus response is controlled and predictable. I did morning runs in Sport and afternoon in Sport Plus (raising straight speed from 132 to 145, entry into corners 15 and exits above that). I'm still reviewing the captured 3channel camera data.

The best track tire inflation seemed to be one pound below the 37F/44R recommended (with mid day heating during runs of 4psi observed)

The Youtube video has HD and I recommend it be viewed that way, to see the two camera output and data channel information more clearly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefrwB7B1L8

I'm curious who of you reading this has ever had a "conversation" with Porsche about (your) hitting the rev-limits. I understand that the car's data logs (understandably from the Porsche company's POV in regards to warranty on a car that's been abused) are reviewed at service intervals and when making warranty claims. Can anyone confirm my anticipation that just a few rev-limiter events- not dozens or hundreds- is "ok" with these cars and not grounds for voiding warranty?

What a wonderful car, on track- compared to the 997 I was lucky enough to own last year. And the PCM is amazingly easy and logical to use, for that drive home. Mileage on track 9mpg. Drive to/from event 22-23mpg on interstate.

Attached Images    

Last edited by wyo997; 07-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting! What's with the smoke out thing? Rednecks with attitude? It'll give WY a bad name.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
RizOne is infamous around these parts
You did leave out what you had for breakfast that day. Just kidding but the car looks amazing. When my turbo S comes in I won't read any of the users manuals, it feels like I know everything now.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Thanks for the write up...the S is an amazing overall pkg. I bet PDK helped make the braking zones alot less busy.

Now go get some vinyl numbers for her!

Ken

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
For all that amazing camera technology I couldn't actually see the video because of all the printing you did over it.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Good video.

Those numbers are atrocious. Is it really that hard to pick some numbers at any motorcycle store or something? Don't take it wrong but your car is beautiful and deserves better numbers.

The smoke thing, well that is nothing compared to what we have to put up down here in Mexico, you have it good but... its good you are doing something about it.

Good driving, excellete car, enjoy

Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
For all that amazing camera technology I couldn't actually see the video because of all the printing you did over it.
Sorry about that. But I figured that what I thought (as a driver) about the camera data was more interesting to people in the long run- than watching some obscure track (speed data) and cars go by. Hopefully, you can see the information in the few "open" seconds of screen data that I left (like the high speed run to 132).

I plan to do a title-free video for the HPR track's web page soon, so you'll be able to see that (presumably on the tracks "photo" pages, where some stills I took last year are posted)

Old 07-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Frissen
Good video.

Those numbers are atrocious. Is it really that hard to pick some numbers at any motorcycle store or something? Don't take it wrong but your car is beautiful and deserves better numbers.

The smoke thing, well that is nothing compared to what we have to put up down here in Mexico, you have it good but... its good you are doing something about it.

Good driving, excellete car, enjoy
Thank you on video
The day's track numbers were assigned and I had to make due with blue painters tape and tried to make them look like "6"s instead of straight-edged farming plows /_'s

The smoke thing is just crude BS, pretending to be getting "more power" from filling a diesel cylinder with so much fuel...that there's not enough volume of air left to completely burn the fuel. It's just malice on wheels and a real problem. I'm hoping letters to California government can stop the sale of these (obviously polluting) exhaust modifications in that state- virtually ending their sale in the US.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
That was very nice of you to post the video and write up .

I'll separate the topic replies -

1) I have the normally aspirated Pdk and the 997.1tt (manual).
My PDK car will not exceed a rev limiter . In automatic mode it will shift and in manual mode there is a fuel cutoff . This makes an over rev an impossibility. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/20/f...ra-s-with-pdk/

Snippet quote from article --

"While the PDK selector can be moved to "manual" mode, we found ourselves bouncing off redline/fuel cutoff coming out of the corners (PDK will not select the next gear in manual mode). We instead chose to leave PDK in Drive, the "Sport Plus" button activated, and the PASM in sport mode. In that configuration, you get brake-induced downshifts (or the driver can override them with the steering wheel controls) while the computer controls instantaneous upshifts coming out of the corners."

2) I am appauled at the behaviors displayed by some of those other drivers in your video.

It sounds like you had a great day . The car looks fantastic . Thanks again for sharing ,

Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Interesting video. Wow there sure are some real weirdos over Wyoming way!! That crazy smoke thing and then that bag of cans thrown at the front of your lovely new P car surely can't have been too memorable. That would've taken the shine off things. Are these nutbags protesting over nice cars or are they just all brain damaged over that way?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
excellent write up !

Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
are the diesel guys doing that to discourage you from tailgating? Is it something they are engaging, or are they just running big injectors?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
The Rednecks in the diesels doing the smoke thing is common here in NC but I have not seen them try to do it with someone right behind them.. They think it's cool..

Great video with the software and cameras...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by dma550
are the diesel guys doing that to discourage you from tailgating? Is it something they are engaging, or are they just running big injectors?
Don't even TRY to rationalize for them. It's called a f___ smokeshow. Watch the video. See the red truck's smoke start the exact MOMENT I have turned onto the ramp- with no prior interaction, documented by me coming down the street. The timing is no accident. He saw me coming when he turned onto the ramp ahead of me. All he had to do was rotate a switch in the cab that controls a $500-1,000 modification to the engine (which over-rides the normal diesel fuel/air mixtures) he's selected his choice of overboost: 1.2.3.4.5___ em

When one of these bastards is ready: He simply presses a button and his buddies turn in the cab to watch the..."Eat my sh__".

In case you still don't believe it, here's one that went on for 12 blocks on a nice summer evening while people were watering their yards.
http://www.laserradio.com/colorado889OYV.wmv

It happens to me twice a month- at least.

Look at all the Youtube videos of "diesel smoke shows". The point of these bastards is to be the center of attention (which is what they've become- even on this chat thread).

Last edited by wyo997; 07-22-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, no offense meant, I was just trying to figure out what would be gained by something like that. Maybe it's their own version of the "whistle tips" craze.

I'm an ex road cyclist, and I had my share of garbage, dirty underwear, etc. dumped on me just for being there, so I feel ya.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2011 911 Turbo S tracked, first time with dual camera video and 3-chl data