997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How long does PDK last before need service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
raidentech is infamous around these parts
How long does PDK last before need service?

How long does PDK last before need service? Assume normal driving conditions.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I heard it last about 200k?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
no wrong, it last a week, if you baby it two weeks max... dump it and get a manual...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
wyo997 is infamous around these partswyo997 is infamous around these parts
I'd expect PDK longevity to be factored by the torque and horsepower of the car it's installed in (and how much track use the car in question has had). I'd think with proper maintenance, no-problem driving with PDK should go well into the 150,000-plus range before overhaul maintenance is needed of any kind- even on a track car.

My Turbo S PDK now in the third week (through break in and a day at the track) and it's already making noises. The sound is sort of a hum, kind of like a purring. I'm really worried. Coming out of a tight hairpin last weekend in 2nd gear and Sport Plus and hammering 3rd at full throttle, the PDK made a clunking sound (like the gears were meshing) but it all happened so fast I can't really describe the sound.

You can hear the PDK shift speed on the Turbo S yourself, early on in this video:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-chl-data.html

Boy, was I dumb! I thought one paddle was "go" and the other was to "stop".
That was embarrassing at the dealer when I picked it up! Now, I know you squeeze both PDK handles to stop. They're ceramic you know, standard on the Turbo S (just joking :-)

Last edited by wyo997; 07-23-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Do you really think pressing both handles stops the car? To my knowledge, pressing both handles puts the car into neutral.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
I do not think anyone here can answer that question with a factual basis.

How many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie pop?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 PM
wyo997 is infamous around these partswyo997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nberry
Do you really think pressing both handles stops the car? To my knowledge, pressing both handles puts the car into neutral.
I don't know what happens when you press both paddles- I don't think anything and the only way to go into N is with the center console shifter. The manual shift response with the center console control handle is definitely faster than with the wheel-mounted paddles. But taking one hand off the wheel and holding it on the center shifter is asking for trouble.

I think all Ferrari paddles default to N when both are pulled. But the PDK requires manual placement of the center gear shift handle to P,N,R and D/M.

I was surprised how much I liked the wheel- not column- mounted paddle placement. Compared to Ferrari's system, my initial concern with the Turbo was the proximity of the four signal stalks (turn, data, wipers, cruise control) to the paddles. But in operation there was no problem.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Guess we won't know until more people start driving with PDKs. Is PDK mechanically similiar to Ferrari F1?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
A lot of people are already driving them.
It will, however, take a long long time for these cars to start putting on the mileage (100k-200k) necessary to explore the reliability of the PDK under normal driving conditions.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
bkelly is infamous around these parts
Just recieved my Turbo S. Which brake pads do you recommend for track days with the ceramic discs?