997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bigger Throttle Body or Upgraded VTG's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
as mentioned ad naseum: VTG's

The larger TB will not yield remotely close the gains as the VTG's. The larger TB is a good add on for small incremental HP.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
On other brands of vtg upgrades one side stays the same (the compressor side I think) and this means no increase in lag as it is one side (again the compressor I think) that changes the lag based on size change, is that right?

I think in a different thread you indicated that there were 2 manufacturers of upgraded vtgs. I assume Borg-Warner is one of them, who is the other?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
From a potential resale point of view, you have a Ruf conversion which has some inherent value (zero are being made right now in the US), the farther you get away from the 'as delivered Ruf car', the less value the car will hold. Whether you like Ruf or not, a Ruf conversion will always hold it's value better than a standard tuner car. Granted all of these tweaks may yield more HP, but just be careful. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just another point of view.GL

Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
On other brands of vtg upgrades one side stays the same (the compressor side I think) and this means no increase in lag as it is one side (again the compressor I think) that changes the lag based on size change, is that right?

I think in a different thread you indicated that there were 2 manufacturers of upgraded vtgs. I assume Borg-Warner is one of them, who is the other?
Blouch is frequently used for turbo upgrades. For a good read on turbos see Garrett. Basically, it is the A/R ratio that determines lag and compressor side has little to do with it.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !

Sorry but wrong on both accounts...

One company upgrades the compressor wheel the other actually rebuilds the turbos...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Sorry but wrong on both accounts...

One company upgrades the compressor wheel the other actually rebuilds the turbos...
Actually, both companies do more than just upgrade compressor wheels and rebuild turbos so not sure what you're trying to say here.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Actually, both companies do more than just upgrade compressor wheels and rebuild turbos so not sure what you're trying to say here.
Not trying to say anything more then what I said. I deal with Them as we have been for a long time. I personally have such turbos on our car. I know the specifics. What goes into each one. We even have our own custom wheels for them. That's all. Nothing more nothing less

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 07-24-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
That's informative.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTdude
That's informative.
my thoughts

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Not trying to say anything more then what I said. I deal with Them as we have been for a long time. I personally have such turbos on our car. I know the specifics. What goes into each one. We even have our own custom wheels for them. That's all. Nothing more nothing less
That's rather cryptic. Not sure what's up with the tone of your message but I'm not trying to pry any info that's top secret, just genuinely interested in learning.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
That's rather cryptic. Not sure what's up with the tone of your message but I'm not trying to pry any info that's top secret, just genuinely interested in learning.
That's the nature of the cost development. Ask any vendor and I bet they will not tell you the specs of any turbo they developed.
We have exclusive rights as well. Just like other tuners. That's just the way business is. Nothing more nothing less

click to view

Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Bogg, It's no secret. Borg Warner is upgrading vtg's. FVD is now advertising it and selling them. Blouch is the other place that people use and I'm sure there are others as well. The specific wheel/trim design is proprietary and even getting a hold of a compressor map for vgt is virtually impossible.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey, I just asked for the brands out of curiosity. I had presumed that Champion might be the other brand. Like I said, just curiosity. I'm not in the biz or anything and not looking to steal anyone's specs or whatever. Just a guy who is considering getting upgraded vtgs at some point down the line. At least I know where I WON'T be buying them.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Hey, I just asked for the brands out of curiosity. I had presumed that Champion might be the other brand. Like I said, just curiosity. I'm not in the biz or anything and not looking to steal anyone's specs or whatever. Just a guy who is considering getting upgraded vtgs at some point down the line. At least I know where I WON'T be buying them.
Good luck on your future upgrades. I mean it. If you do a search you will find out that I'm the Least selfish always there for members type of a guy. I even traveled 700 miles one way to help fix a car. For free. I've helped hundreds of members with many a problems- for free. Why don't you call all the top tuners- not going mention names - and see if they tell you the name of the company, Wheel size and type of compressor used- cost as well... I bet you will never do business with them either.
The turbo companies call us complaining that they get swamped with calls when it's proprietary info and should not be discussed publicly. Heck, one big turbo company( on 6speed) doesn't even have a published number just for that reason.... Heck do you know that some of the faster vtg cars are not on 997 turbos but rather on gt2 turbos? Yes you can make low 700s to the wheels on hybrid gt2 turbos. Just a hint incase your looking for big power direct replacement set up...
I think you got me wrong from the start because I've done nothing but helped the 6speed community for 7 years- for free as a member only.... and thats after $200K plus car that Ive put into of my own non expensed money. It cost me my marriage. What say you?
Good luck
Markski

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 07-25-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Why don't you call all the top tuners- not going mention names - and see if they tell you the name of the company, Wheel size and type of compressor used- cost as well... I bet you will never do business with them either.
Actually, this is exactly what I did and precisely reason I why I ended up choosing the tuner that I did. So yes, I know where my turbos were upgraded. If I'm paying for something, I think I have a right to know some basic info. Does that mean I'm entitled to know specific designs or going to blab info that I get from my tuner around the world? No. PMs are a great way of communicating info if you don't want to disclose them publicly. It's a trust thing. I don't disclose publicly what my tuner tells me via PMs. I think this was just an isolated event so please don't take it personally. I've enjoyed reading your posts, especially on the 996 forum. You've obviously done a lot for others but PR is a tough thing to get right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bigger Throttle Body or Upgraded VTG's