997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bigger Throttle Body or Upgraded VTG's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Actually, this is exactly what I did and precisely reason I why I ended up choosing the tuner that I did. So yes, I know where my turbos were upgraded. If I'm paying for something, I think I have a right to know some basic info. Does that mean I'm entitled to know specific designs or going to blab info that I get from my tuner around the world? No. PMs are a great way of communicating info if you don't want to disclose them publicly. It's a trust thing. I don't disclose publicly what my tuner tells me via PMs. I think this was just an isolated event so please don't take it personally. I've enjoyed reading your posts, especially on the 996 forum. You've obviously done a lot for others but PR is a tough thing to get right.
Yes its a trust thing... I actually disclose who does the upgrades.. and Im actually very proud of it... Make the call to the tuner, establish a relationship, then you probably will find out... but calling a tuner out because he will not disclose it publicly I think is too much to ask for...
For those who keep guessing... there is one more company that does a good job... actually probably the best job and ironically it was not mentioned... Btw, most tuners use them for the hybridization of VTGs...

Anyways... I hate to argue like this... lets talk about something else.. like making power while keeping your wallet happy...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Three years now Mark always helped me in any problem I had (regarding my 996TT)...I havent buy anything from him till now...But please Mark pm me details about GT2 upgraded turbos...If i can establish APRs flash for them...

Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Three years now Mark always helped me in any problem I had (regarding my 996TT)...I havent buy anything from him till now...But please Mark pm me details about GT2 upgraded turbos...If i can establish APRs flash for them...
Maybe this is the time to actually buy something from him...

Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Maybe this is the time to actually buy something from him...
We shall see...

Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
We shall see...
I think the upgraded turbos are going to slow you down

Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
But please Mark pm me details about GT2 upgraded turbos...If i can establish APRs flash for them...
Its all about the custom tuning... so be careful... look, we took a base 997tt file for stock turbos and after 8 datalogs with Todd we came up with our own version... how do like it revving out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzzcVsgGRYU

click to view

Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
i vote for VTG but keep in mine you still need to redo your ECU

Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
dg123 has a spectacular aura aboutdg123 has a spectacular aura about
i have the upgraded vtg's from champion and the giac tune to go with it..Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Good luck on your future upgrades. I mean it. If you do a search you will find out that I'm the Least selfish always there for members type of a guy. I even traveled 700 miles one way to help fix a car. For free. I've helped hundreds of members with many a problems- for free. Why don't you call all the top tuners- not going mention names - and see if they tell you the name of the company, Wheel size and type of compressor used- cost as well... I bet you will never do business with them either.
The turbo companies call us complaining that they get swamped with calls when it's proprietary info and should not be discussed publicly. Heck, one big turbo company( on 6speed) doesn't even have a published number just for that reason.... Heck do you know that some of the faster vtg cars are not on 997 turbos but rather on gt2 turbos? Yes you can make low 700s to the wheels on hybrid gt2 turbos. Just a hint incase your looking for big power direct replacement set up...
I think you got me wrong from the start because I've done nothing but helped the 6speed community for 7 years- for free as a member only.... and thats after $200K plus car that Ive put into of my own non expensed money. It cost me my marriage. What say you?
Good luck
Markski
I meant to reply to this a while ago - just got back from vacation. I've read many of your posts and have no doubt that you are a great guy. Perhaps you misunderstood the intention of my post, I'm not sure. The reason I'm asking questions well in advance of possibly upgrading my vtg turbos is that I had originally thought there was just 1 upgraded turbo - you plonk down your money and you get about 50 extra hp. I've since learned that there's WAY more to it than that. There are a handful of different upgraded vtg turbos including modded GT2 turbos. I'm not really sure what makes the stock GT2 turbos so expensive - I know they have a larger turbine and compressor than the 997tt turbo but nearly 10k a pair????

Anyway, I hope you'll post some details (including price) about the hybrid GT2 turbos you mentioned that are a direct plug-in replacement b/c that really sounds interesting.

In a nutshell, when I'm shopping for upgraded turbos I'll be looking for the max useable power with NO increase in lag compared to stock 997tt turbos and no loss of low-end torque. I realize that will limit how far I can go up the power chain but daily driveability is very important.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM
dg123 has a spectacular aura aboutdg123 has a spectacular aura about
trust me..Upgraded vtg's are the way to go...Great bang for ur buck..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I'm sure you're right. It's like a disease coming to this forum and reading about modded cars that do 60-130 in 5seconds or whatever and then thinking that 7-8seconds is slow. The reality is I drive under 80-90mph most of the time. But when I get that rare opportunity to stomp on it there's the desire to be pinned to the seat!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
There are a handful of different upgraded vtg turbos including modded GT2 turbos. I'm not really sure what makes the stock GT2 turbos so expensive - I know they have a larger turbine and compressor than the 997tt turbo but nearly 10k a pair????

Anyway, I hope you'll post some details (including price) about the hybrid GT2 turbos you mentioned that are a direct plug-in replacement b/c that really sounds interesting.
Sure, 9FF has a few custom wheels.... Im sure a few other tuners as well... lets put it this way...
gt2 hybrids... exhaust, good ICs, Y pipe, headers... 750hp crank on 104 octane and 700 on pump...
If you seen some fast 997s trapping mid 130s those are the cars on gt hybrids not on entry level 997tt hybrid turbos... you get what you pay for.... other option is to convert to Tial alpha gt30rs but then you need a bunch of liens and fittings, custom work, and in the end you will be at the same spot with $10k..

If yo get gt2 turbos it costs a few grand to do the complete overhaul.... its not cheap... but then I remember when I paid $5600 for a set of 996 gt2 stock k24s in 2002 for $5600 ... things that make you go hhhmmm.
best
markski

click to view

Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Markski. What does hybrid refer to with these upgraded turbos?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks Markski. What does hybrid refer to with these upgraded turbos?
Its a a full turbo rebuild vs. just a compressor change...

click to view

Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hey, I just asked for the brands out of curiosity. I had presumed that Champion might be the other brand. Like I said, just curiosity. I'm not in the biz or anything and not looking to steal anyone's specs or whatever. Just a guy who is considering getting upgraded vtgs at some point down the line. At least I know where I WON'T be buying them.
Hi guys, I thought I'd just jump in and give a few facts about our turbos to clear up any potential misunderstandings. Hopefully I can also share some knowledge that might also help those who are considering upgrades of any kind.

We essentially offer 4 upgrades:

1. Standard VTG Upgrade. This upgrade uses the standard compressor housing, but upgrades exducer wheel to a 63.5mm, 6 blade compressor wheel. This is typically what you will find in ours, and others', "700hp" kits.

2. 997.1 Turbo Billet VTG Upgrade. This upgrade uses our Champion Motorsport billet compressor housing, with upgraded exducer diameter of 65mm and 7 blade wheels. The 7 blade wheels increase the efficiency of the compressor. We also re-profile the turbine wheel to maximize the efficiency of the VTG, but unfortunately this is something that we spend countless hours and dollars designing, researching, and testing, so specifics are just not something we share.

3. 997.2 Turbo Billet VTG Upgrade. This is similar to #2, only it uses a 68mm exducer.

4. Our last upgrade is our 68mm billet upgrade for the 997.1. This would really be perfect for someone looking to do a pretty hardcore upgrade, north of 850hp, including internal engine work, on a 997.1 Turbo. We don't typically stock this option, but it is available.

Lastly, from our research, I can tell you that a standard 997 GT2 turbocharger is NOT an upgrade for the 997 turbo. Essentially, the turbos on a GT2 are identical to the 997 Turbo. The only differences are that the GT2's use a different material for the turbine housing, and that the exducer on the turbine wheel is re-profiled. This is done because the GT2 in stock form runs higher boost levels then a stock 997 Turbo. At those boost levels, the turbine wheel would over-work the compressor wheel without any modification, so it's done to keep the turbo working in it's peek efficiency.

I hope this clears up any confusion that may have existed about our offerings. If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM, email, or phone. I'd be happy to answer any technical questions that I can.

-Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bigger Throttle Body or Upgraded VTG's