997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brief Comparison: 2010 911 Turbo S and GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Brief Comparison: 2010 911 Turbo S and GT3 RS

I drove both at a local dealer (friend) - the 911 Turbo S (white - my least favorite color) had 7500 miles on it and the GT3RS (blue) was new. Both were for sale at a similar price point.

<O
My brief impressions, at a local track:
<O</O
<O
-Obvously they are very different cars. The GT3RS had dynamic engine mounts and torque vectoring.
<O
<O
-Both had the "motorsports" engine (old GT1, Mezger).<O
<O
-The paddleshifts on the 911 Turbo S were not as impressive as I thought they be. This is obviously a luxury car, seemed very heavy. My modified 07 997 Turbo was much faster, but that was to be expected. With this car, it as if Porsche took everyone’s aftermarket upgrades to the 997.1 turbo, and slapped them onto the car. Obviously, the faux centerlock wheels and paddle shifters were Porsche factory improvements. Slow lap times (to be expected), and I would not buy this car, although it was very beautiful.
<O
<O
-The new GT3RS was a revelation, although it was not as challenging to drive as older GT3s, because they have taken the "tail-happiness" out of the car. Very fast, and even usable as a daily driver.

Just my first impressions, it would take longer for me to really evaluate these cars. They are both still for sale.

Thanks - Gerry

Last edited by 911TurboS2; 07-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
I drove both at a local dealer (friend) - the 911 Turbo S (white - my least favorite color) had 7500 miles on it and the GT3RS (blue) was new. Both were for sale at a similar price point.

<O
<O</O
<O
-Obvously they are very different cars. The GT3RS had dynamic engine mounts and torque vectoring.
<O
<O
-Both had the "motorsports" engine (old GT1, Mezger).<O
<O
-The paddleshifts on the 911 Turbo S were not as impressive as I thought they be. This is obviously a luxury car, seemed very heavy. My modified 07 997 Turbo was much faster, but that was to be expected. With this car, it as if Porsche took everyone’s aftermarket upgrades to the 997.1 turbo, and slapped them onto the car. Obviously, the faux centerlock wheels and paddle shifters were Porsche factory improvements. Slow lap times (to be expected), and I would not buy this car, although it was very beautiful.
<O
<O
-The new GT3RS was a revelation, although it was not as challenging to drive as older GT3s, because they have taken the "tail-happiness" out of the car. Very fast, and even usable as a daily driver.

Just my first impressions, it would take longer for me to really evaluate these cars. They are both still for sale.

Thanks - Gerry
You must be comparing the new GT3RS with the old 996 Turbo S.

The New Turbo S has a direct injected engine
It's a 2011 Model
It has dynamic engine mounts
It has torque vectoring
It has PCCB
It has PDK
The center lock wheels are not FAUX
It is much faster than the older 997.1 turbo even in decently modified form.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
How does a car that has been out for 1 month end up with 7500 miles on the odometer?
<o></o>
<o></o><o></o>-Obvously they are very different cars. The GT3RS had dynamic engine mounts and torque vectoring.
Ummm. Turbo S has dynamic engine and torque vectoring standard.
-Both had the "motorsports" engine (old GT1, Mezger).<o></o>

Turbo S has the DFI A91 engine.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Both had the "motorsports" engine (old GT1, Mezger). What? 997.2 TT has a DFI A91 engine

Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like it is a .2 turbo, just not a S. As someone else posted the Ss are all 2011s. The OP is mistaken about the engine roots; not a Mezger.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
A dealer let you take a new car to the track?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned
petey01 is infamous around these parts
It must indeed have been the 997.2,if it had paddle shifts.And I would say it is likely to be the S too,with those centre lock wheels.And who could mistake the S anyway?I am puzzled why it was reported to be "slow",though.That doesn't make a lot of sense....

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
A dealer let you take a new car to the track?
The same question came to mind .

Regardless --

I had considered the Gt3Rs extensively. In my opinion it will be an Icon of the 997 line.
The writings of the original poster tend to fall in line with the normally aspirated afficianados . Most of them have no interest in the Turbo and instead prefer the balance, nimbleness , seamless throttle, and edgy appeal of the Gt3Rs above all other current Porsches .

I happen to sit on the fence with both camps . I love BOTH!!!!!
That's why I have two Porsches .

In order to fully experience a 997 i think both cars are needed. The problem I face is that if I had an RS I would not want to drive it daily and i feel the same about my turbo (I will never sell my Turbo).

It want to chersish and savor every mile so having two cars like this would have me driving neither as much as i wish .

That's why my 997.2S PDK car , along with the huge discounts in 09 , made more sense . It was a great move to experience PDK, still keep my Turbo , have a daily 997S rather than place those miles on the 997tt .. and it was financially --more logical (if logic applies to any of thse cars).

The favorable GT3RS sentiment doesn't go away easily .... I did almost buy one but after a lot of thought decided not to at this time.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oing-away.html

Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I'm just wondering how there is 7500 miles on a car that just came out.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I drove both at a local dealer (friend) - the 911 Turbo S (white - my least favorite color) had 7500 miles on it and the GT3RS (blue) was new.
That must be one hell of a friend to let you take a *NEW* GT3RS out to the track. It might be a little harder to sell as new after it's been trashed around the track a bit.

As good as a GT3RS is I can't see a Turbo S giving up so much on the track. There's 80hp and almost 200lbft more torque in the Turbo S and that's not easy to overcome...even in the GT3RS.

Also, I didn't think they put torque vectoring in the GT3RS.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
That must be one hell of a friend to let you take a *NEW* GT3RS out to the track. It might be a little harder to sell as new after it's been trashed around the track a bit.

As good as a GT3RS is I can't see a Turbo S giving up so much on the track. There's 80hp and almost 200lbft more torque in the Turbo S and that's not easy to overcome...even in the GT3RS.

Also, I didn't think they put torque vectoring in the GT3RS.
You are correct the RS does not have torque vectoring.

As to the above post (few above) about the CLs, any non S turbo could have CL wheels optioned.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Well, Gerry logged in and out today, and had nothing more to comment about this.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
Wait..what...

Beering myself now.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I smell bull chit with the op's post!

Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Very odd post with little, if any useable information.....Do some more homework and report back. In addition, I am sure that all in that area would like to know which dealer allows folks to "track" their lot cars, (friend or not) it smells fishy. The insurance just would not allow for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brief Comparison: 2010 911 Turbo S and GT3 RS