997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Top Speed Runs with PBox Data: 997.2 TT with Softronic + BMC Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 02:53 AM
|
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
New Top Speed Runs with PBox Data: 997.2 TT with Softronic + BMC Filter

Hello from Kuwait,

Well, as those of you who have followed my previous thread regarding Softronic are aware, I have installed their tune and was not 100% satisfied with the results.

To be sure, the car is quicker. I felt however that the improvement should have been greater.

Now, I am not so certain any more that i should expect more.

It took a while for the temperatures to drop from this:

To a somewhat more reasonable 35*C (95*F).
Weather was dry.

I went out yesterday and did 2 runs as follows:

Run 1 in miles and feet:

Top speed achieved during that run was 189 MPH.

The car trapped a quarter mile of 128.84 MPH in 11.16 seconds.

Here's the metric data of Run 1:

Top speed achieved during that run in metric was 304 KPH.

Run 2 in miles and feet:

Top speed achieved during that run was 196 MPH.

The car trapped a quarter mile of 127.80 MPH in 11.32 seconds.

Here's the metric data of Run 2:

Top speed achieved during that run in metric was 316 KPH.

The car probably had more top speed in it, but I was in Sport + mode and that mode cancels out 7th Gear. I will attempt a couple of more runs in Sport mode and Normal mode to see how far 7th Gear will stretch the top speed and report back.

The difference in performance between the two runs is down to increased IAT and the ECU pulling back the timing as I could not let the car stand between the runs.

Now, to my question for all of you with far more experience than me in tuning:

Are these results considered good results for a stock 997.2 TT with a tune and BMC filter as the only mods and thus I am being unreasonable in expecting more from the tune?

I know that compared to the 997.1 with similar mods, these results are good, but are they good for the .2?

For your reference, I baselined the car in stock here, but ambients were greater:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=proof+pudding

and some comparos betweem stock and tune here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...un-6speed.html

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The latest PBox DBN files are sent to Scott (Divexxtreme) for verification.
Scott, please confirm on this thread if it's not too much of a bother

Last edited by k_ddsl; 07-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 02:56 AM
|
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I forgot to mention:

I changed the fuel I was using from what was supposed to be high quality 95 Octane fuel to actual high quality 93 Octane fuel.

It turned out that the former was heavily polluted and was actually damaging engines.

Old 07-27-2010 | 05:57 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Great data!!

Thanks for posting!!

Did you take any video during the runs?

Old 07-27-2010 | 06:15 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
A 0-300 km/h run in 31.53 seconds, in 95F heat is very quick.

For comparison, Todd Z's 997.2TT ran 183.3 mph at the Texas Mile. Their 0-300 km/h time was 29.90 seconds.

For comparisons sake, their setup included upgraded turbos, I believe. While their run was done during development (hence, the car is probably faster now after additional tuning) you should be very pleased what a simple flash did for your car.

Old 07-27-2010 | 06:16 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Was it fully maxed out at 316kph? Did you forget to take your foot off the accelerator or something. Jees Karim.. talk about being a lead foot. You Kuwaiti boys really dont mess about do you.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:25 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Cripes, I would say those times are VERY good for just a tune and filter, especially at those high ambient temps. 3 second 0-60 is flying!

Put an exhaust (Europipe) on it and let the engine exhale better and you'll have a REAL rocket ship.

Old 07-27-2010 | 08:51 AM
|
Originally Posted by MBailey
Great data!!

Thanks for posting!!

Did you take any video during the runs?
I was not racing against anyone. Just out alone getting the PBox runs.

I didn't think to take video.

On my next outing, I'll make sure to grab video showing the instrument cluster and part of the road.

Sorry!

Last edited by k_ddsl; 07-27-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 08:59 AM
|
Originally Posted by bbywu
A 0-300 km/h run in 31.53 seconds, in 95F heat is very quick.

For comparison, Todd Z's 997.2TT ran 183.3 mph at the Texas Mile. Their 0-300 km/h time was 29.90 seconds.

For comparisons sake, their setup included upgraded turbos, I believe. While their run was done during development (hence, the car is probably faster now after additional tuning) you should be very pleased what a simple flash did for your car.
Thanks for the comparo bob.

In addition to what you mentioned, I bet Todd Z was running in cooler weather.

The only thing that is puzzling me is that Softronic's tune seems to pouring in all the power at the top end with minimum improvement to the 0-60 times and marginal improvement 100-200. Let's see if Scott Slauson can manage to tweak that a bit. This is important because this midrange of performance is the one you'll be tapping into the most.

On the other hand, the improvement in 200-300 time is staggering and breathtaking! A whopping 10.4 seconds quicker over stock! It wasn't until I got the chance to run it up to 300 that the real difference from the tune showed up. I'm glad I did.

Also, I have just placed my order for Todd K's intercoolers with all new ducting pre-modified at Protomotive prior to shipment.

I am eager to see how much more we can squeeze out of her in terms of performance.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 07-27-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 09:15 AM
|
Originally Posted by speed21
Was it fully maxed out at 316kph? Did you forget to take your foot off the accelerator or something. Jees Karim.. talk about being a lead foot. You Kuwaiti boys really dont mess about do you.
Paulie, rather than saying lead foot, I think it would be more relevant to say unlead(ed) foot.

As to it being maxed out at 316, I think not. Sixth gear was maxed out at 316 and I was in Sport + mode, which cancels out seventh gear. The car won't shift into it in Sport + mode.
In my next outing, I will do a run in Sport mode which will allow 7th gear.
The car felt like it can go slightly over 200 MPH so I think it has another few clicks in it.
I will report back with PBox data.

Oh and Paul, I only live in Kuwait, I'm not Kuwaiti though.

Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Cripes, I would say those times are VERY good for just a tune and filter, especially at those high ambient temps. 3 second 0-60 is flying!

Put an exhaust (Europipe) on it and let the engine exhale better and you'll have a REAL rocket ship.
Thanks Barry!

Stef and I have just communicated recently.
His exhaust is nearing completion so I'm still waiting.

On the other hand, I have promised myself I will not install another performance part except under the advice of Todd K. at Protomotive and with his green light. That man is a genius and is superbly supportive and communicative.

As I mentioned in my reply to Bob, Todd advised that the most immediate and urgent upgrade given our ambient temperatures here are the intercoolers. I just placed my order today.

The way the exhaust upgrade is gonna go is this:
Once Stef releases his new exhaust, Todd will test it (with/at TPC probably.)
If he gives me the go ahead, I'll install it, otherwise, I will install whatever exhaust he tells me to, provided it meets the following criteria:

1- No Drone - No unreasonably loud noises inside the car
2- More power throughout the range
3- Deep nicely tuned growling type sound outside, but not too loud so as to cheapen the car

I am truly hoping Stef's exhaust will be Ok'ed by Todd K.

After the exhaust, I will let the upgrades rest for a while until a proven solution for the PDK is released. Then, everything's fair game again...

Modded 2011 GT2RS VTGs anyone?

Last edited by k_ddsl; 07-27-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 10:06 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Paulie, rather than saying lead foot, I think it would more relevant to say unlead(ed) foot.

As to it being maxed out at 316, I think not. Sixth gear was maxed out at 316 and I was in Sport + mode, which cancels out seventh gear. The car won't shift into it in Sport + mode.
In my next outing, I will do a run in Sport mode which will allow 7th gear.
The car felt like it can go slightly over 200 MPH so I think it has another few clicks in it.
I will report back with PBox data.

Thanks Barry!

Stef and I have just communicated recently.
His exhaust is nearing completion so I'm still waiting.

On the other hand, I have promised myself I will not install another performance part except under the advice of Todd K. at Protomotive and with his green light. That man is a genius and is superbly supportive and communicative.

As I mentioned in my reply to Bob, Todd advised that the most immediate and urgent upgrade given our ambient temperatures here are the intercoolers. I just placed my order today.

The way the exhaust upgrade is gonna go is this:
Once Stef releases his new exhaust, Todd will test it (with/at TPC probably.)
If he gives me the go ahead, I'll install it, otherwise, I will install whatever exhaust he tells me to, provided it meets the following criteria:

1- No Drone - No unreasonably loud noises inside the car
2- More power throughout the range
3- Deep nicely tuned growling type sound outside, but not too loud so as to cheapen the car

I am truly hoping Stef's exhaust will be Ok'ed by Todd K.

After the exhaust, I will let the upgrades rest for a while until a proven solution for the PDK is released. Then, everything's fair game again...

Modded 2011 GT2RS VTGs anyone?
Nice post. Those numbers are indeed impressive for just a tune. You should be quite happy. Smart plan moving forward too. Modded GT2RS vtgs would be very interesting! I really like your criteria for the exhaust. It describes no less than the perfect system...

Old 07-27-2010 | 10:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by TTdude
Nice post. Those numbers are indeed impressive for just a tune. You should be quite happy. Smart plan moving forward too. Modded GT2RS vtgs would be very interesting! I really like your criteria for the exhaust. It describes no less than the perfect system...
Thanks bro.

I am happy with the results now.

I'd be happier still, no, ecstatic actually, if Scott Slauson tweaks the 0-62 and 62-124 mph bands a little bit more to make more of an impact over stock.

He promised to revisit the tune once Durametric resolve the data logging issue they are having with the new DFI turbo and turbo S cars.

Honestly, Scott is and has been truly elite so far in his support of his product.
He truly is a knowledgeable man.

About the GT2RS VTGs, yup, very interesting what the tuners Stateside can make of them.

And lastly, about the exhaust, yeah, yeah, I know, but I can dream can't I !

Old 07-27-2010 | 11:30 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Glad Softronic worked out and you are happy. That is our priority and goal with all customers. 3.08 0-60 is quick is as hell being most everything is stock!

Old 07-27-2010 | 11:49 AM
|
Thanks Dan.
You folks at Vivid as well as Scott have been great.

I am indeed very happy with the tune now that I ran it up to 196mph and felt and logged the real difference it brought to the table in the 120 to 200 mph range. A real eye opener!

I am also 100% satisfied with the improvement, yes, I said it, improvement in the day-to-day drivability of the car. Livelier, perkier, and more to my liking.

My only quibble now, and at this stage, it has become just that, a quibble, is in the improvement in performance in the 0-60 and 60-120 mph ranges.

Yes, 3 sec is fast, but it was doing just about 3 sec before the tune 0-60. So no difference there.
60 to 120 is improved, but only just.
Please bear in mind that the 0 to 120 mph range is where we will be spending 95% of our time!

120 to 200 is just devastating for only a tune!

Having said that, Scott is indeed working with me on addressing this. I am now 100% convinced he will work everything out and I would like to believe that this exercise we are doing together is benefitting everyone, Softronic and Vivid included, as I am guinea pigging my car to get PBox and Dura logs to help in tweaking the tune.
(And please don't ask if I am having fun in the process , I AM)

Can the tune be just a little bit improved over what it is now: YES
Do I think the tune has any issues that can be termed as flaws: NO
Am I satisfied with the tune as is, with no further tweaking: YES, but...

Am I happy with Vivid's and Softronic's position and support: Absolutely

Last edited by k_ddsl; 07-27-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have a 997.2TT here right now. We are finishing our Valvetronic Exhaust and new YPipe for it. If you have not bought the Europipe, I would like to work with you on this. That car with a couple other mods should be BRUTAL!

0-60 is still fast regardless LOL. Best we could do with our 6speed and all that power at Texas Mile was 3.4sec. PDK probably helps a ton. How long did it take you to get to 196mph? Just over a mile?

Old 07-27-2010 | 12:14 PM
|
It took 1.3 miles to hit 190.
I will have to reboot my Mac in Windows to get you the exact figure for 196.

But rather than doing that, I am going to attempt 200+ mph in a few days and will post all the details.

You're right about the PDK. That and Launch Control is brutal from a standing start.

I should also mention that all the results I am posting here with the PBox are without the 1-foot rollout, i.e. the 1-foot rollout is switched off. Same as when I logged my stock figures.

On the exhaust issue: I will need to think about and I will need to have your final data on the valvetronic you are developing. My mind is pretty much made up on the Europipe if Todd K. gives it the thumbs up.
If you are asking me if I am willing to help you in the development process, my answer is yes. But I don't see how we can do it economically seeing as I am so far away from you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Top Speed Runs with PBox Data: 997.2 TT with Softronic + BMC Filter