997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT SPI750 Tip vs Bike race in Mexico

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
997TT SPI750 Tip vs Bike race in Mexico

The air was nice and cool on this Mexican summer eve
<O</O

We lined up a tiptronic Porsche 997 911 Turbo with the Switzer 750 package against a 750cc bike with motor work and a good rider. Both vehicles on pump 93 octane. Traffic was very heavy last night and helicopters were out so we were limited in what we could do.<O></O>
<O</O

1st race the Porsche started about 1/2 length ahead and he got the jump. The Porsche didn't do the 3 honk so the Bike wasn't ready but he hit the throttle right after the Porsche left the line. Within seconds, the Bike was able to catch up to the Porsche and eventually overtook him while going around a tractor trailer.<O</O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKvpVmbqp8o<O</O
<O</O

Then they did a roll which the Bike instantly pulled and kept walking.<O</O
<O</O

Last run was another race from the dig. This time the Bike was ready and nailed a perfect launch. The Porsche wasn't so lucky and he didn't get an optimal launch. The Porsche eventually let off once the Bike gained a football field on him.<O</O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XI6VxEfh0s<O</O
<O</O

Sorry for the crappy blackberry videos. The Porsche driver has some good camera footage so hopefully he can come on here and post it if he wants.<O</O
<O</O

I always hear these stories of Vettes, Vipers, GT-R's, M6's, Porsches etc that pull 1000cc bikes on the highway. I'll be the first to say that if the rider is an amateur then sure it is totally possible, but keep in mind you didn't beat the bike, just the rider. This time, the rider knew what he was doing and the results are obvious. But you can also see how nasty this Porsche gets out of the hole! It sounded great and on the highway roll I saw flames spewing from the exhaust tips on shifts.

Edit: sorry for the double videos. I only post 1 link but it shows back to back videos for some reason.<O</O

Last edited by ItalianStallion; 07-30-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 AM
oldgixxer is infamous around these parts
hey,that bike looks familiar.....

Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
but keep in mind you didn't beat the bike, just the rider.<O</O
clearly the bike beat the driver, not the car.

(see how annoying that is?)

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by earl3

Not if the car is a AWD Tiptronic that got a perfect launch (see the first video). Definitely true though on a stick shift.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM
oldgixxer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by earl3

Ahhh,and that is exactly why we did 5-6 roll-ons as well: as you know that eliminates all driver skill from the equation....

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Stallion: who has the Switzer tippy?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Stallion: who has the Switzer tippy?
PM sent

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
<O</O
<O</O

I always hear these stories of Vettes, Vipers, GT-R's, M6's, Porsches etc that pull 1000cc bikes on the highway. I'll be the first to say that if the rider is an amateur then sure it is totally possible, but keep in mind you didn't beat the bike, just the rider.
Totally disagree, at least when talking from a roll.

I've beaten at least 4 liter bikes (that I know of) in my cars from a roll, with multiple races against each one. One was a 'busa that was ridden by an amateur racer. His bike made 186 rwhp and I was at about 750rwhp. That video has been posted on this forum before. I also beat 2 GSXR 1000s and a Busa a month or so ago in my GT2 at a little over 700rwhp on 93 octane with my wife in the car.

As a matter of fact, I've never lost to a bike. The 600cc and 750cc bikes I've raced have all gone down easy

I believe SPI 750 TIPs like this one make 580 on pump in RWD, so using AWD, you are probably looking at around 550'ish AWHP (perhaps Neil could clarify). As fast of a car as that is, it's a bit underpowered to expect it to beat bikes. Bring SPI's Sledgehammer out there and re-do the runs. It would absolutely leave that bike standing still.

A car running in the 5's or better 60-130 will beat many liter bikes up to 130-140 or so, even with outstanding riders. From a dig it's a different story. Very few cars will beat a fast bike from a dig on the street. That's where their HP to weight advantage shines.

Anyway, great vids and great runs!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-30-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Glad you guys had fun out there and that everyone made it home safely.

The SPI750 Tiptronic package makes about 600rwhp on pump. Runs mid to high 10's depending on weather and tires.

Recent news from the Russians is that the dark green SPI750 Tiptronic (which now has built trans and is turned up for C16 race fuel) ran a 10.17 and the P800 Tiptronic is knocking on the 9's, if they get a cooler night it should run a 9.9x.

Truth is that the tiptronic is not a very efficient transmission, and getting a dyno to load the converter correctly for good numbers is very hard to do, hence the low dyno #'s.

P800 tiptronic pulls over 1.25 g's on a good launch, and that is on the street!

Keep the videos coming!

IS - PM me with the name of the owner, I think I know who that is I just would like to clarify...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Totally disagree, at least when talking from a roll.

I've beaten at least 4 liter bikes (that I know of) in my cars from a roll, with multiple races against each one. One was a 'busa that was ridden by an amateur racer. His bike made 186 rwhp and I was at about 750rwhp. That video has been posted on this forum before. I also beat 2 GSXR 1000s and a Busa a month or so ago in my GT2 at a little over 700rwhp on 93 octane with my wife in the car.

As a matter of fact, I've never lost to a bike. The 600cc and 750cc bikes I've raced have all gone down easy

I believe SPI 750 TIPs like this one make 580 on pump in RWD, so using AWD, you are probably looking at around 550'ish AWHP (perhaps Neil could clarify). As fast of a car as that is, it's a bit underpowered to expect it to beat bikes. Bring SPI's Sledgehammer out there and re-do the runs. It would absolutely leave that bike standing still.

A car running in the 5's or better 60-130 will beat many liter bikes up to 130-140 or so, even with outstanding riders. From a dig it's a different story. Very few cars will beat a fast bike from a dig on the street. That's where their HP to weight advantage shines.

Anyway, great vids and great runs!

Thanks!

Scott, I raced a very good rider in a stock ZX10 when I had my 650rwhp (dyno'd in 100 degrees weather) 680rwtq C6 Z06. We did multiple runs from different speeds. Best chance I had was from 90mph+. Even then, he would just walk away from me with no problem. A few times he would pop a wheelie and pull me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2NECH-JOwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULqUIptptc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDk4hERnpw

The 3rd vid is the only time I could "beat him" because he topped out due to stock gearing and that's when I passed him. I know you're a stand up guy and I have no reason to doubt you. Also, your car is an animal and is probably faster than my old Z06 was (you owned a modded Z06 also so you would know). But I still find it hard to believe that anything short of maybe 850rwhp can take a properly driven liter bike. Also, these were 90 rolls. At lower speeds the beating would be much more severe. He'd pull on me instantly and it was stupid. Higher speeds were my only chance of winning and even then, the bike rider was playing with me.

Keep in mind a week before this I also "beat" a liter bike and so did my friend with a modded M6.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Glad you guys had fun out there and that everyone made it home safely.

The SPI750 Tiptronic package makes about 600rwhp on pump.
But he's running the car in AWD, correct? So probably 570awhp on pump?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
But he's running the car in AWD, correct? So probably 570awhp on pump?
I think Neil meant AWHP instead of RWHP?

And this 997TT is still AWD and will remain that way.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
But I still find it hard to believe that anything short of maybe 850rwhp can take a properly driven liter bike. Also, these were 90 rolls. At lower speeds the beating would be much more severe. He'd pull on me instantly and it was stupid. Higher speeds were my only chance of winning and even then, the bike rider was playing with me.

Keep in mind a week before this I also "beat" a liter bike and so did my friend with a modded M6.
Well, my GT2 at 700 rwhp is faster than my Z06 was at 722rwhp, if that tells you anything.

At only 750ish rwhp the first run, and then maybe 730 the second run (I had turn the boost down due to octane), this 186rwhp 'busa couldn't beat me from a roll. We were starting at around 40 or so, and I had a passenger. At that HP level, my car was probably a mid to high 5-second 60-130 car. The bike had previously ran a 9.1 @ 155.

My car that time (with GT30's) maxed out 830 rwhp on C16 at full boost (1.4 BAR), but this was only on mid-boost settings. Had I been at 830 rwhp, I would have pulled him very hard. 850 is overkill.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/prot...ull_128781.htm

As far as a modded M6 beating a liter bike, of course that's pure BS. I agree with you on that. That's a car trapping 'maybe' high 120's at best. No chance.

From my personal experience, in a RWD Porsche, 700rwhp will run with or beat most stock liter bikes from a roll.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-30-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I think Neil meant AWHP instead of RWHP?

And this 997TT is still AWD and will remain that way.
I was under the impression that they dyno their cars in RWD mode, than convert them back prior to delivery.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-30-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I was under the impression that they dyno their cars in RWD mode, than convert them back prior to delivery.
You might be right. The dyno vids I've seen from SPI are in rwd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT SPI750 Tip vs Bike race in Mexico