997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bad Daddy VW sharing between its auto brands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Bad Daddy VW sharing between its auto brands?

I've noticed that the Audi make is adopting Porsche technologies to which until now I believed exclusivity.

For examples the double clutch transmission (PDK) is the S-tronic Audi equivalent.

The Turbos installed in its diesel 3.0L engine are VTG. Yes I know it's a diesel engine but nonetheless..

Audi also offers the ESP...stability management program a la PSM technology.

And I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the AUDI brand as I have always been a fan in what it has to offer suiting luxury cruising style and gorgeous interior comfort preferable IMHO over the adversarial BMW.

Another example is the optional FSI 5.2 V10 offering for the R8.
Which is in fact a de-tuned Lamborghini Gallardo motor.

Just don't know if it's totally right to share all bretheren trade secrets.
It diminishes bragging rights lol.

Ofcourse the business side of me understands why. But still......

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
dareupgang is infamous around these parts
VW quite smart lol, Porsche didn't have to be a bastard child, but they got greedy. I respect what they are doing though

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
sharing is OK

Sharing is OK if they use high quality Porsche products in other brands. What I fear is Audi and VW parts in Porsche to increase profits.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
Sharing is OK if they use high quality Porsche products in other brands. What I fear is Audi and VW parts in Porsche to increase profits.
Touareg is Cayenne already... not sure who got more of whose parts there, but yeah, it would be lame to see my S4 shifter in my new 911 or something. I think they're smart enough to keep it separate. I mean, they managed to make an R8 and Gallardo and keep them pretty far apart as far as appeal goes. (but if you look at earlier Gallardo's you'll see Audi buttons/nav, etc staring you in the face.

That's not something I want to see if I'm a lambo owner (or is it??)

Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Coreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really nice
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Touareg is Cayenne already... not sure who got more of whose parts there, but yeah, it would be lame to see my S4 shifter in my new 911 or something. I think they're smart enough to keep it separate. I mean, they managed to make an R8 and Gallardo and keep them pretty far apart as far as appeal goes. (but if you look at earlier Gallardo's you'll see Audi buttons/nav, etc staring you in the face.

Audi electronics/accessories are better than the old crap Chrysler corp. used in the 80's-90's

Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
mustafaluigi is infamous around these parts
The PDk and S-Tronic aren't the same exactly. Its not like they took the PDK and slapped it in an Audi. They are similar but not the same. VW and Porsche were really the firsts in the 80's with the dual clutches, but once again were different. VW i believe was the first to offer a commercially available DSG transmission. Basically, same idea, designed by different people. Also the V10 from the Lamborghini was actually based off the Audi V10, which was then used in the R8. Its the same way the W16 in the Bugatti is developed from the W8 from the VW Passat.

Last edited by mustafaluigi; 08-05-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
(but if you look at earlier Gallardo's you'll see Audi buttons/nav, etc staring you in the face.

I might be happy seeing Audi's interior rather than looking at the Diablo and early Mucie interiors.