997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DCT (BMW) vs PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
DCT (BMW) vs PDK

I am sure many people here have drive (or owned) the M3. How equivalent, better or different is one from the other? Thanks.
Jim

Old 08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I had an E46 M3 and driven an E92 DCT M3 for a week as a demo. There was significant shift lag from the time I pulled the paddle to the actual shift of gear. I heard there has been a software update to remedy this. But it really ruined the overall experience for me.

No seat time in a PDK but I'm sure its got to be killer!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I have had my PDK P-car for 18months and drove an M3 with DCT at the 2 day Mschool in SC about 2 years ago. IMO they both shift slow and smooth when set that way and/or very fast and harsh when set in aggresive mode. In other threads people have said that PDK is much better, maybe it is...but nothing I noticed. Loved them both for what they are.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Gustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of light
Here it shift quite fast...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rCTiWftJEQ&amp;hl=sv_SE&amp;fs=1?hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rCTiWftJEQ&amp;hl=sv_SE&amp;fs=1?hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Old 08-06-2010, 05:38 PM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gustav
Especially when compared to the dreadful SMG.

Having driven both, the PDK is superior - so long as you go with paddles. It isn't so much the shift time but more the intuitiveness of the auto program and the simplicity compared to too many shift programs on the DCT. It doesn't help the DCT that it is attached to a BMW either.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
In my opinion (also having driven both), the PDK is far better than the DCT in the M3 (I think that the DSG in the VW is lightyears behind them).

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mhh
Especially when compared to the dreadful SMG.

Having driven both, the PDK is superior - so long as you go with paddles. It isn't so much the shift time but more the intuitiveness of the auto program and the simplicity compared to too many shift programs on the DCT. It doesn't help the DCT that it is attached to a BMW either.

Good point! I did not drive the M3 in drive mode so I dont know how intuitive the shifting is. We just used manual mode/paddles on the track.
Must say that the PDK is very intuitive with my driving mood.

The DCT was way better then the SMG from the M5 and M6 that we drove at the Mschool.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I've used the PDK in a 997.2 C2S....and let me tell you, it's amazing! It converted from me hating auto's. But I do have to admit, the shift buttons on the wheel are quite irritating....I like having paddles instead!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steve0827
I've used the PDK in a 997.2 C2S....and let me tell you, it's amazing! It converted from me hating auto's. But I do have to admit, the shift buttons on the wheel are quite irritating....I like having paddles instead!
I have Champion paddles in my 997S. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-paddles.html

I also have an M3 . Picked a manual .
DCT is NOT PDK. I've read mixed reviews from a buddy of mine who likes the DCT in his car with no issues at all -- to others who have posted things like ignored downshifts and various snags.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-06-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
I have both turbo PDK and e92 m3 DCT. I think DCT is pretty even with the pdk in terms of shift smoothness and quickness. I think DCT is a fine dual transmission. On par with pdk. It blips throttle during slowdown just like my turbo.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gustav

<object height="505" width="853">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rCTiWftJEQ&hl=sv_SE&fs=1?hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="505" width="853"></object>
PDK is still faster, when I test drove the Panamera 4 S, the numbers just change on the dial, the shift is really fast.

Here I found a video to give some comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4c06dqeMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgLzf...eature=related

However as we are talking about ms, I think we can say no one can really spot the difference...

Last edited by kip; 08-07-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I have owned both.

As an owner of PDK and DCT I can tell you this. Both are really fun, both are very good, Both rev match on downshifts but they do have their differences.

The DCT has 5 regular drive mode applications and 6 manual drive modes. It is very sporty in the sense that BMW wants you to feel like it is a manual. But SMG (which I also owned) was extremely bucky and you had to get used to it. DCT is much closer to an automatic in that sense in reglular drive mode.

PDK is very much an automatic in regular mode, BUT paddles are a must for manual shifting as is SPORT PLUS for a PDK car IMO. PDK has a few less modes than DCT but they are spectacular. With that said. THERE IS NO BETTER MODE FOR EXTREMELY SPORTY DRIVING or even track driving then SPORT PLUS on PDK. This is the biggest difference between PDK and DCT. In AUTO mode SPORT PLUS the PDK will engage the lowest possible gear at all times. Its almost too much for the street. AND...it will downshift under braking immediately in Sport Plus mode. That is the best piece of engineering in the car IMO. DCT does not do this as much or as aggressively. But in Manual mode it is a monster just like PDK.

PM me if you have any more questions as I have had major seat time behind both cars.

D

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche119
As an owner of PDK and DCT I can tell you this. Both are really fun, both are very good, Both rev match on downshifts but they do have their differences.

The DCT has 5 regular drive mode applications and 6 manual drive modes. It is very sporty in the sense that BMW wants you to feel like it is a manual. But SMG (which I also owned) was extremely bucky and you had to get used to it. DCT is much closer to an automatic in that sense in reglular drive mode.

PDK is very much an automatic in regular mode, BUT paddles are a must for manual shifting as is SPORT PLUS for a PDK car IMO. PDK has a few less modes than DCT but they are spectacular. With that said. THERE IS NO BETTER MODE FOR EXTREMELY SPORTY DRIVING or even track driving then SPORT PLUS on PDK. This is the biggest difference between PDK and DCT. In AUTO mode SPORT PLUS the PDK will engage the lowest possible gear at all times. Its almost too much for the street. AND...it will downshift under braking immediately in Sport Plus mode. That is the best piece of engineering in the car IMO. DCT does not do this as much or as aggressively. But in Manual mode it is a monster just like PDK.

PM me if you have any more questions as I have had major seat time behind both cars.

D
It sounds like the bottom line per all these posts is that they are both quite good. I like the P concept like in my C2S with the sport chrono of just to be able to push one button and go to the sport mode acceleration/suspension rather that have 5 or 10 combination settings as in the BMW that you have to figure out.
Jim

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Porsche119
In AUTO mode SPORT PLUS the PDK will engage the lowest possible gear at all times. Its almost too much for the street. AND...it will downshift under braking immediately in Sport Plus mode.
Very true....I was cruising along with sport plus and it wouldn't shift until right before the red line. Sport mode is a much better mode to keep it in if you want more sportiness while not on a track. Sport plus is pretty much a strictly track setting....If I remember correctly, in "Excellence" when they put the car in sport plus mode they cut almost 2 seconds off their lap time in that 997TT!