997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Proper way to launch a 997TT TIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned
08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of
Proper way to launch a 997TT TIP

Im getting all sorts of stories as to the best way to launch the car, that their is an undiscussed launch control, reving to 4K rpm etc etc... What is the real deal?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Tippies do not have a launch control function. Really only one way to do it on the autobox: turn off PSM, put in drive, stomp go-fast pedal, watch landscape blur in peripheral vision. Rinse and repeat

Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
You can brake launch but it can cause them to go bad premature!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned
08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skeeter
You can brake launch but it can cause them to go bad premature!
Cause what to go bad?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 08Turbotip
Cause what to go bad?
Your brakes...Basically your holding the brake while building the revs on the car and then releasing them...I've read where a few have ruined there brakes by doing this...

Old 08-07-2010, 01:11 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Try brake launch and you will be amazed...psm off,sport on,hold brake full with left foot and full throttle with right one...After 2-3 seconds boost display will show 0,8bar and then just leave the brakes...and enjoy the flight...

Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 08Turbotip
Im getting all sorts of stories as to the best way to launch the car, that their is an undiscussed launch control, reving to 4K rpm etc etc... What is the real deal?
Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427nehGwlR8

Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Your brakes...Basically your holding the brake while building the revs on the car and then releasing them...I've read where a few have ruined there brakes by doing this...

^^^ What did he say?????

Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Try brake launch and you will be amazed...psm off,sport on,hold brake full with left foot and full throttle with right one...After 2-3 seconds boost display will show 0,8bar and then just leave the brakes...and enjoy the flight...
This is the best way to launch your tiptronic but don't do it repeatedly, the transmition oil heats up and it can burn, then you'll have to rebuild the trany 5000euro

I use brake/launch only when i have a GTR next to me on the traffic lights and i usually surprise them

Old 08-07-2010, 07:10 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by milou
This is the best way to launch your tiptronic but don't do it repeatedly, the transmition oil heats up and it can burn, then you'll have to rebuild the trany 5000euro

I use brake/launch only when i have a GTR next to me on the traffic lights and i usually surprise them
what about little bit of brake and gas pedal half way and let it go really quick? I know it's not as fast as full brake full throttle but still faster than nothing. would that hurt the trani ?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
I doubt you can damage your brakes if you holding the brakes from a standstill, there's no movement on the brake system. It's like using a linelock system on a RWD, that doesn't damage the front brakes. You sure you're not thinking about brake boosting from a roll race, where they hold the brakes while the car is rolling?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
what about little bit of brake and gas pedal half way and let it go really quick? I know it's not as fast as full brake full throttle but still faster than nothing. would that hurt the trani ?
This is what i usually do, but again its not a good idea to do it repeatedly. Even if you do normal full throttle accelerations from a standstill without using the brake, one after the other is not a good idea. Always talking about modded cars producing around 600WHP