997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sell the M3, get 997tt and a DD, or...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Sell the M3, get 997tt and a DD, or...

I finally got a deal completed where I can afford to buy myself an 07/08 997tt. I've been looking into one for a while now, but without the income of this business I wouldnt have gotten involved with that sort of payment. Also, w/ this business I will be driving about 20k a year on the M3 (right now my only car). Right now I have an E46 M3, which I fell in love with 4 years ago, and absolutely adore. Its in great condition, I take excellent care of it, overall a great car. Its an 03.5 w/ 86k now (bought it with 45k in 6/06). Its worth about 22-23k at best if I go to sell. The car still has my heart, I look back when I park it, and still think its phenominal.

1. So I can either sell the M3, buy a 997tt and a cheap DD. In this scenerio I'd get a DD that was somewhat decent like an older BMW/Acura/Infiniti around 4-5k. And in about 2 years get back into an E46 M3 low miles in great condition again, as they are plentiful.

2. Or turn keep my M3 and turn it into a DD (winter wheels, cheaper tires, etc.) and wait to get the 997tt next spring (March/April).
Essentially I would keep the M3 forever, in this scenerio.

My reason for getting a 997tt, is similar to the rest of yours; looking for a great car, power, handling, a tad flashy but not pretenious as a Lamborghini G/Audi R8. Also, if I do get the 997tt either way I would probably keep it only for 3-4 years and look to get into the F-Cars (thats strictly if finances will allow). It would be a weekend/show/fun car only, and I would be putting maybe 6k on it tops a year.

Canon

Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 PM
HiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond repute
I say keep the E46 since you love it so much, who knows what the future holds, just wait it out & get the TT next spring!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
I would also keep the E46 and wait. There really isn't a rush on getting the 997, there will always be inventory.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I would keep the car and wait until next March/April...

If you choose this route you may want to stay off this site and never tempt yourself with a test drive...

Your comment about looking back at your car made me chuckle... If I could walk backwards into a store after parking my ride I would...

Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
If you are looking into a Ferrari, why not skip the 997, save up and buy a Ferrari even sooner? Just my $.02

Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steve0827
If you are looking into a Ferrari, why not skip the 997, save up and buy a Ferrari even sooner? Just my $.02
I think once you have a 997tt you'll forget about Ferrari. I have.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
sspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I think once you have a 997tt you'll forget about Ferrari. I have.
I hear natural evolution is to buy a TT then try a italian stalion only to miss the gobefuls of torque and reliability of a P car So why bother with the italian at all

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
You only live once GET the TURBO mod it and DD it. My 04 996tt cab has been daily driven threw all the blizzards and snowstorms we have had and it runs better then ever. We had a 06 M3 competition and all i can say is its an unbelievable car, but its no 997TT. Any decision you can make wont be a bad one, so look at it like that.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
Keep the E46 M3. and wait for a smoking deal on a 997TT.

I love the E46 M3, its such a classy generation of M3s. One of my dream cars back in the days. Don't sell it since you love it so much, cuz if you try to find a E46 later, I bet you will NEVER satisfy with the condition/mileage etc if you compare to yours that you have at the moment.

Good luck with the decision!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
I still have my M3 till I decide what to do with it.

The 997 TT was made to be a daily driver.

If you want to have a regular daily beater and something else to keep in the garage and take out on the weekends, get a Ferrari.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I have learned my lesson too many times over again.
NEVER get rid of a car that you love...unless you have to of course.
You can always get more, but if your already talking about getting back into an E46 M then dont lose it now. Especially if you know the history of yours.
Ive had them all and they are great!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The TT can easily be a DD, mine has 50+k miles so far!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
First, thanks so much for all the responses. I have been reading them as they come and sunday morning when I get my email on my phone about this thread. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Let me start off by saying I went ahead and finally got behind the wheel of the 997tt, it was an 09 black 6spd, wasnt in my price range but still drove it around. Man that thing is wicked fast. When I first jumped in and took it out it was obviously fast, but didnt scare me and justify the 107k sticker. Then I got a little more comfortable and I was blowing by people so fast, getting to speeds quicker then I ever imagined. Still the car was 80% of what I expected as far as blowing me away with speed.... UNTIL....... I jumped back into my M3 after the test drive and then I realzied what the car was all about. I couldn't believe the difference, it felt like driving a standard V6 Camry after getting out of a 997tt!!!! I love it, I will own one soon, as it is the best overall car for the money and has just the right amount of flash.

As far as when I will buy it; as of now all indications point to me keeping the M3, its been relatively problem free, a great looker and as someone told me last weekend its got a lot of "character." After 4 years of owning it and driving it daily it stills makes me happy to get behind the wheel. I would love to hold onto it keep it as my DD, with a snow wheel set and be done with it. The only major difference now is that I would be putting about 25k a year on it instead of 10k a year as the past 4 years.

That does leave a problem with buying the 997tt, I would definitely have to wait until later winter/early spring or unless I find a phenominal deal.

A little bit more to respond to the responses here, I don't think I am quite ready to get over the 100k mark yet, both financially and mentally. So the Ferrari will definitely have to wait, unless something drastic happens within the next 6 months. It is something I will be looking into in about 4 years, hoping all stays well.

And my M3 isnt in "perfect," condition by any means, its approaching 90k fast, and has its fair share of rock chips and a ding on the door. Its about 92.5% perfect as opposed to a new car. So what I was getting at perviously was; if I were to sell the M3 and get one in the future I would gladly pay a premium to get a low mile car in perfect condition, then wrap the front in a bra, and possibly another color choice would be nice as well.

All in all, if I wanted to sell the M3 get a beater, I would be ok to an 07 997TT, or maybe even an 08. It would absolutely satisify me beyond what I am expecting, but I know I would deeply miss the M.

Last edited by CJPatel; 08-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Keep your M3 as a DD. With those miles, its not "worth" selling it. A 997TT as a DD doing 25K miles a year will be an expensive proposition. Then when you are comfortable, get a 2007/2008/2009 TT. The E46 is a great car for not a lot of $. I had one for 4 years.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Why would you buy another car as a DD instead of keeping your m3 as a DD?

I tried this already.. I bought a camry hybrid as a daily driver for my 25k miles per year. Nice car, super reliable, roomy, safe..... It was miserable. I was kicking myself in the butt for not using my previous love of my life 996 as a DD and my turbo as a weekender. I haven't even sold the camry yet and just bought a clk500 as a replacement DD. It's so much nicer to drive to work in something you love.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sell the M3, get 997tt and a DD, or...