997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protomotive E85 Tune on Stock Injectors with 5Bar FPR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
NIce data but I've gone cross-eyed trying to read it. It seems like TK fixed you up nicely. Too bad the number of e85 stations in CA is few and far between. Such a pity for a self-proclaimed green state.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
I was expecting to lose mpg, but I am seeing no lose in mpg.

The anecdotal evidence suggests no change in mpg , I was averaging 15 mpg on 93 Oct and 15 mpg on E85
derived this number from dividing miles driven by gallons added (120/8=15). My on board computer shows
15.2 mpg on E85 and showed 15.2 mpg on 93 Oct.

I have run this by a couple of people and they suggested a properly tuned forced induction should not loose mpg
compared to gasoline, different matter entirely on normally aspirated.

In my case went from $2.95 a gallon 93 to $2.21 a gallon E85 with no loss in mpg, more dollars in my pockets.
One more reason to consider switching to E85.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 08-15-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
NIce data but I've gone cross-eyed trying to read it. It seems like TK fixed you up nicely. Too bad the number of e85 stations in CA is few and far between. Such a pity for a self-proclaimed green state.
i hear ya , i have a gas station right down the street from me and has e85 but then theres no other gas station in town.....

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by unvmy996
i hear ya , i have a gas station right down the street from me and has e85 but then theres no other gas station in town.....
You should then switch to E85, see my earlier post on being able to run 93 gas on E85 tune. You can always flash to 93 tune from E85 Tune is minutes, if you need to.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
It's good to know that you can fill with pump gas in case of emergency but pushing the O2 sensors to 40% is really a stretch. The system will be constantly trying to compensate. At least you would error on the rich side. Just don't push it.
Hi Dave,

Could you please explain this? 80% of what? And what does the O2 sensor run normally? I am a noob so please be as detailed as possible.

Venk.,

Thanks for the very interesting thread (and Keith's too). Do I understand it correctly, that to use E85:
a. You must change to the 5 Bar FPR, and
b. This is the *only* hardware change that is necessary?

Last edited by cannga; 08-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Dave,

Could you please explain this? 80% of what? And what does the O2 sensor run normally? I am a noob so please be as detailed as possible.

Venk.,

Thanks for the very interesting thread (and Keith's too). Do I understand it correctly, that to use E85:
a. You must change to the 5 Bar FPR, and
Can

a. You must change to the 5 Bar FPR

Not a must, this I was willing to do as it was easy enough.
Gives more head room on fueling.

I only changed the FPR, nothing else to run E85
You should try it, I know gas sucks in cal.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 is infamous around these parts
Very nice to see such great results. I was alittle disappointed when I read about another posters minimal gains with meth injection. From what i have seen most of the country only has e85 3 months of the year. So My question is... How will the can react to e70? Is e70 still better than let's say 100 octane?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:30 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Hi Dave,
Hi Can, Wideband O2 sensors can measure ~7-20:1 afr fairly accurately. If you're on e85, you're tuned for ~9.8 afr (CA pump gas ~14.0) which simply means more fuel is required for the same amount of air for a complete combustion. Now you dump pump gas into your tank. The e85 tune will attemt to deliver the same amount of (e85) fuel as it normally does but now there is pump gas in your tank. As a result you will be running very rich. If you go beyond the sensors working range or the hardware limitations on the vehicle you will run into problems. This explanation is less than technically detailed (I know) but I'll look forward to reading your monograph on the subject matter when you have it ready. Dave

Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by SpoolnV8
Very nice to see such great results. I was alittle disappointed when I read about another posters minimal gains with meth injection. From what i have seen most of the country only has e85 3 months of the year. So My question is... How will the can react to e70? Is e70 still better than let's say 100 octane?
Yep, you'd still be better off running e70, cheaper and higher octane. 0.7x113+0.3x87=105 for e70. This assumes worse case scenario where ethanol was blended with 87 pump.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor
Yep, you'd still be better off running e70, cheaper and higher octane. 0.7x113+0.3x87=105 for e70. This assumes worse case scenario where ethanol was blended with 87 pump.
Nice!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Can

a. You must change to the 5 Bar FPR

Not a must, this I was willing to do as it was easy enough.
Gives more head room on fueling.

I only changed the FPR, nothing else to run E85
You should try it, I know gas sucks in cal.
Venk.,

Thanks. As best I could read (I have no experience), the 5Bar FPR is needed in some high power 997 TT's, otherwise timing would be pulled and boost reduced as AFR becomes too lean?
So am I correct in assuming that an E85 tune inherently demands more fuel because its ideal AFR is lower, 10 versus 12 for gas? And maybe this is why the 5bar FPR is actually necessary for *any* E85 tune?
If and when you use 93 gas, will the 5bar FPR behave just like the stock FPR?

Thanks again for sharing the information. Very interesting indeed.

Last edited by cannga; 08-16-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Can, Wideband O2 sensors can measure ~7-20:1 afr fairly accurately. If you're on e85, you're tuned for ~9.8 afr (CA pump gas ~14.0) which simply means more fuel is required for the same amount of air for a complete combustion. Now you dump pump gas into your tank. The e85 tune will attemt to deliver the same amount of (e85) fuel as it normally does but now there is pump gas in your tank. As a result you will be running very rich. If you go beyond the sensors working range or the hardware limitations on the vehicle you will run into problems. This explanation is less than technically detailed (I know) but I'll look forward to reading your monograph on the subject matter when you have it ready. Dave
Got it. Thanks Dave. I've been lurking and learning from your posts.

BTW and OT: Am I understanding it right that it seems all Protomtive customers get more a less a custom tune based on data logging? I mean the process seems to be that Todd would send a basic tune, customer data logs, sends back data, then Todd would revise the tune and sends it back for trial, and so on? If so, it's really fantastic, and quite amazing.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Got it. Thanks Dave. I've been lurking and learning from your posts.

BTW and OT: Am I understanding it right that it seems all Protomtive customers get more a less a custom tune based on data logging? I mean the process seems to be that Todd would send a basic tune, customer data logs, sends back data, then Todd would revise the tune and sends it back for trial, and so on? If so, it's really fantastic, and quite amazing.

My protomotive tune is spot on, didn't need any adjustments at all (I did send my logs to him) . You have to let Todd know what you are looking for in the tune, and he will build them in for ya. Then he will send you a few files to play with first, and see which file your car likes the best. (My car loves the ms109 normal boost file btw, still got the high boost one to try out). Some file has lower boost, some higher, some has break boost ect....

Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Venk.,

Thanks. As best I could read (I have no experience), the 5Bar FPR is needed in some high power 997 TT's, otherwise timing would be pulled and boost reduced as AFR becomes too lean?
So am I correct in assuming that an E85 tune inherently demands more fuel because its ideal AFR is lower, 10 versus 12 for gas? And maybe this is why the 5bar FPR is actually necessary for *any* E85 tune?
If and when you use 93 gas, will the 5bar FPR behave just like the stock FPR?

Thanks again for sharing the information. Very interesting indeed.
Can

You are correct a few tuners do require a 5 Bar FPR for their higher HP tunes, E85 does require more fuel and certainly a 5 Bar FPR helps.

Todd provides a 93 Oct tune with 5 Bar FPR (although I am told the ECU will adapt) as part of the package to take into account for the higher fuel pressure.

Todd is only a phone call away very helpful/knowledgeable, call him.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
One thing I like about Todd... He doesnt have to lurk the forums and prey on everyone who makes a thread about a flash. He for sure isnt pulling customers in from his website. Word of mouth... All his Customers speak very highly of him!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive E85 Tune on Stock Injectors with 5Bar FPR