997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Never thought I would get bored of my 997 TURBO.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Subbie is infamous around these parts
Earlier this year I was getting bored of my 07 997TT and was thinking about a new car. At that time I had the first generation parts for the EVT700 kit. What I did was first, change the wheels from 3 piece HRE's to 1 piece Champions in Satin Black, this alone changed the crispness and handling. Then I got all the new parts for the EVT775 and a new exhaust, as well as the chip switching for a higher octane file, the car was dyno'ed at 636 to the wheels. Lastly, Sharkwerx put in a new suspension that dropped the car and tightened up the feel while still being a DD.

The car is no longer boring and is still comfortable as a DD.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mini George
I think he's done the standard Fabspeed setup: Exhaust, intake, and headers.
exactly

The Bogg oh, if you're bored with the car just spend some more time with the other beauty in your avatar pic.
already did....lol

The problem is that you have too much money. Send a large cheque to me and we'll fix that.

But seriously, what is it you're bored with? the acceleration, the drive, the look? For reasonable money you can significantly change the acceleration and the handling. For a bit more money you can change the look with Techart or other bits. I think the 997tt is at the upper limit of a nice car that draws a reasonable amount of attention without getting annoying. Some ladies pulled up to me yesterday and exclaimed that they loved my car. If it were a lambo I'm sure I'd get far more attention but that's not what I want, and it doesn't sound like it's what you want either. Good luck with your "predicament".
Lol, I stiil get crazy looks, and people admiring the car, its my 3rd Porsche I think Im ready to move on...I thought I would never say this....458 is a little pricey for me....lol 230k Im more of a 130k guy.....lol

Audi R8 sounds nice, idk know its a little too small for me though....

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
I have a F430 now and really enjoy it. Mostly I like cars for the balance and response, not the image, sound, or speed. The Ferrari is a very good car in this respect with more balance and linear response than even a Cayman, and I enjoy it much more than a recent high-end Carrera I had. I am convinced that, at least for me, extreme speed and power are not that important, but quality, comfort, and driving balance. I also like the Ferrari because it IS a Ferrari - have respected that company for its commitment to racing for nearly 50 years now.

The Ferrari aside, the best experience I had may have been an Aston Martin. They do not set speed records and if speed or glamorous test results in magazines are important to you they will disappoint, but I can attest that they are lovely cars, fast enough, classier and better built than anything else I have seen, period, and just a very good ownership experience. I would suggest looking at them. I miss mine so much I plan to get a good used Vantage or DB9 sometime soon (but keep the Ferrari).

By contrast the worst experince I had was a 'vette. I bought it new and had fun hotting rodding it until it was seriously fast (10.0 quarter on street tires and very daily driveable), but it was poorly built with only so-so material quality: it felt cheap, sort of the opposite of the Aston. My point is that no matter how much power, its the qulaity the ultimately makes the ownership experience satsifying - that may not be enough, but without it there is nothing.
Anyway, with the Aston and the Ferrari, gawkers and people taking pictures, etc., are just par for the course and sometimes annoying, but not that bad. Similar annoyance doesn't happen with high end Porsches because a GT2 RS for example, looks pretty much like a standard Carrera to the average person -- but everyone, even our receptionist at work, knows the Ferrari emblem -- and the Aston 007 connection.
I have a friend that has the ultimate "exotic" no-one pays attention car: Panoz Experanto - no one notices it and the few questions he gets are all basically "Is that a new type of Miata?" By they way, they are really slow if that matters, but nicely turned out.
I have had no problems with the police, even in a red F430. The Ferrari (stock exhaust) is actually quite quiet, and I drive fairly sanely, so . . . I do have problems with some drivers who are clearly jeallous - guy in a Toyota van tailgating me on the interstate last weekend (I just slowed down gradually until he flipped me off zipped around me, cursing) and for some reason, a lot of guys in AMG Mercedeses get really agressive and have to show me how much rubber they can burn -- they seem offended that there is a more expensive car out on the street.
Anyway, my two cents . . .
I want to thank you personally for that great input.....wow, you really helped me out, Vette never, I heard about that car, it has the same radio set up in all their cars.....and the cheapy feel, definitely not the route i am going.....thanks again...

Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
torch frc is infamous around these parts
My point is that no matter how much power, its the qulaity the ultimately makes the ownership experience satsifying - that may not be enough, but without it there is nothing.

Well said.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Also a good friend of mine owned one and he would go in starbucks and when he came out, people would be sitting on his car, just for photo ops.
I find this funny coming from someone who has avatar with a girl siting on your car for a photo... Now mind I would mind it either being if they looks like that..lol

Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM
rosenbergendo is infamous around these parts
Gt3 and you'll never be bored!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I think you need to keep the tt as a DD and find a cool vintage car. Nothing beats the purity of a 356, xk120, or old Ferrari for beating boredom. Not practical, but not boring.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
boredom

No matter what car you eventually end up with over the years, you will most probably get bored with it.

The goal is to spend as little money as possible in order to obtain the longest period of time before you hit that boredom point.

Factors to consider:
1. Quality: OP states in nicely with the Austin Martin. Good, solid car with a great pedigree

2. Feel: Not necessarily the fastest or most powerful car (ie. vette) but one that just feels good when you are in the driver's seat. ie F 430.

3. Image: nothing too strange and out there that there is no real recognition.

Even after all of this, you will get bored, or die before you get bored.

Just enjoy every day with whatever car you are driving.

I have a 997 and occasionally feel the urge to sell it. But then I feel, "what would life be without a 911?"

Conclusion: Life is always better with a 911.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Liquidemotions is infamous around these partsLiquidemotions is infamous around these parts
Yeah get some upgrades and youll be a changed man =)

Old 08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
keep it and add to the stable?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute

wow, see here is a perfect example of another man trash is someone else's treasure.......lol
not saying a 430 is trash.... just saying as a analogy.....

ferrari red for you..... why are you bored of it? thanks in advance.....
Bored because my E85 tuned/modded 997TT is more fun to drive

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Keep it and get a 512bbi

Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I have a 997.1 turbo & I did a couple of upgrades, nothing to crazy & I feel like I need something more like a Ferrari 430 or Gallardo, but I ask myself all the time, am I willing to take the risk of getting pulled over by cops ever minute either to see who is driving, or to give me a summons for loud exhaust. Also a good friend of mine owned one and he would go in starbucks and when he came out, people would be sitting on his car, just for photo ops. I enjoy vehicles period, but I dont want pdk, or another 997. Maybe I will just wait for the 998's to come out.

P.S What do you guys think, I always get great advice from 6speeders.....Also not my everyday car, just for the weekends, and of course it would be 6 speed....

And thanks for all your great input in advance.....
I've re-read this a few times...you didn't say why you are bored of your 997TT.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Is it just me or have others noticed that Ferrari drivers tend to just cruise at the speed limit in the right lane all the time. Vette drivers too. I love to DRIVE, not cruise and sightsee, so the more inconspicuous my car is the better

Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turbonator
Is it just me or have others noticed that Ferrari drivers tend to just cruise at the speed limit in the right lane all the time. Vette drivers too. I love to DRIVE, not cruise and sightsee, so the more inconspicuous my car is the better
+1 Bro
Could not have said it better myself!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Never thought I would get bored of my 997 TURBO.....