997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Misting in paddle shift steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 AM
C2SNerves is infamous around these partsC2SNerves is infamous around these parts
Misting in paddle shift steering?

Does anyone have mist (and stains from dried up mist) inside the little black transparent windows of the paddleshift stering. These are the windows that illuminate with "sport, sport plus, launch control signs"

No, there was no water spill or any abnormal use in anyway. Probably there is high humidity like in any garage during summer time, but still this should not happen.

Can this be cleaned up? Car is 6 months old.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I'd demand warranty for sure.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C2SNerves
Does anyone have mist (and stains from dried up mist) inside the little black transparent windows of the paddleshift stering. These are the windows that illuminate with "sport, sport plus, launch control signs"

No, there was no water spill or any abnormal use in anyway. Probably there is high humidity like in any garage during summer time, but still this should not happen.

Can this be cleaned up? Car is 6 months old.
I have the exact same issue. Little mist stain on the left LCD in the steering.
I will claim it tomorrow and revert back to you.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
yes, have the same. didn't think too much about it but now I'll report it. seems odd that something like that got into production.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
C2SNerves is infamous around these partsC2SNerves is infamous around these parts
Question is would you want your factory fitted steering to be changed? I don't see how this can be repaired without recurrence. It seems to me we either have to live with it or go through an exchange!? That's if the replacement has been modified.

Obviously the design did not cater for mist control. Considering the small cabin of the carrera, humidity is an issue that porsche usually considers...I am surprised.

Please let me know what you decide K_ddsl and number3....tnx

Last edited by C2SNerves; 08-15-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Just spoke to a friend at the dealership.

I'm taking the car to him in the morning.

They will take pictures of the problem and claim a replacement under warranty.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
On one hand it’s an extremely minor issue. On the other hand if there are three reported here out of the maybe couple of hundred out there that means that probably all have the problem. I first saw it on delivery and then forgot about it and didn’t think about it until I saw this thread. It’s certainly a manufacturing issue.
My inclination is to do nothing at this time. I was just in for an oil change and won’t be going back until the spring. I live an hour away from the nearest dealer and so it take the car in for this and have go through the whole process iis not worth it. I guess I’ll wait to see if there is a service bulletin issued that will make it easier.
I’m as fanatic as the next guy, I clean the carbon deposits off the exhaust tips every day with grill cleaner but this is really insignificant.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Just took my car in to the dealership.

Despite the fact that it is a minor issue, it is an annoyance.

The guys at the dealership took pictures and have agreed to present a warranty claim.

We'll see how porsche respond and I'll report back on this thread.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 08-16-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:45 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Make 'em pay, I say. (I'm still annoyed about the Ice Blue Metallic)

Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
airmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to all
I have the problem in my new Turbo S as well. Fogged up since delivery, looks like cr@p. Sounds like a common problem. anyone know if the factory has found a fix yet?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
me too

I have that same issue and got it at delivery.

I thought it was a poorly stuck on clear sticker at first.

I'll mention it to the dealer next time.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Just saw this thread.....unfortunately I have the same problem on the left side LCD.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Same here

Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
SchH III is infamous around these parts
Same problem with my Turbo S since delivery...

Old 09-17-2010, 05:11 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
Hopefully everybody calls it in at their dealer. If many people complain, there will be a better chance of a service bulletin issue...
No matter how small the problem is, on a car of this value everything should be taken seriously.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misting in paddle shift steering?