997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe or Tubi or valve system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I have to disagree on this subject of 'drone'.

First, the definition of drone is producing a monotonous, unchanging tone.

Second, I think some people who complain of drone are really complaining about the level of noise they hear inside the car particularly the lower frequencies. Otherwise they would be complaining about 'buzz'.

If you drive at the same constant rpm wouldn't you expect the same constant tone to be produced? Drone would be evident if your rpm weren't constant but the tonal resonance (frequency) remained the same. How many of us actually hear THAT?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Bet I know who chimes in next

Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I have to disagree on this subject of 'drone'.

First, the definition of drone is producing a monotonous, unchanging tone.

Second, I think some people who complain of drone are really complaining about the level of noise they hear inside the car particularly the lower frequencies. Otherwise they would be complaining about 'buzz'.

If you drive at the same constant rpm wouldn't you expect the same constant tone to be produced? Drone would be evident if your rpm weren't constant but the tonal resonance (frequency) remained the same. How many of us actually hear THAT?
When I was in medical school, one of the tests for localization of sound was to take a tuning fork and put it on the bony prominence on the skull...something like the mandible, or top of the skull. It gives a constant make your head pop sound that drives you crazy. I consider this to be the closest comparison to drone.

Every exhaust I have had...Fabspeed, Ruf, Tubi, and Markski's 2.75in crossflow, had drone...somewhere between 2000-3000 RPM. If you drive through the RPM band, I'm sure you will find it. If you zip through the RPM band quickly, you won't notice. But if you climb through the revs very slowly under load, I bet you'll find the "drone" spot.

- bob

Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for everybody's great input. I guess I will just get which ever exhaust that sounds/price okay with me! I'll upload clips once I get them.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
rapidtransit is infamous around these parts
exhaust drone

ruf has no drone

Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Just from the design of how a turbo works, you will never get the sound of a NA. I had the EP loud on my turbo and it sounded great, but nowhere near the sound of my GT3. IMHO, it's not only the loudness, but the quality of the sound that a NA engine puts out.

I never noticed a drone with the EP and it definitely had a nice burble to it after putting on a couple of thousand miles. I always loved to hear the turbo spinnings after I put on the EP!

On a side note, although my Aston Vantage is a slug compared to the turbo, it howls in the upper revs!

Last edited by seattle_sun; 08-22-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rapidtransit
ruf has no drone
Oh yes it does.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=seattle_sun;2952330]Just from the design of how a turbo works, you will never get the sound of a NA. I had the EP loud on my turbo and it sounded great, but nowhere near the sound of my GT3. IMHO, it's not only the loudness, quote]

+1. Never a truer word spoken seattle .
Hey, nice tracks on the avatar!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Oh yes it does.
I think rufs ears may be a little shot.....sorry rufy....there is such things as hearing aid now.

I recall Stef specifically quoting the EP2 system as having it....no question.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I don't remember my Ruf RTurbo as having a "drone", but then maybe I was driving too fast to notice. I agree with the general sentiment on this thread that all aftermarket exhausts exhibit drone. Rattle and hum would be worse.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
We can assure you that the Tubi Street system for the 997.1 Turbo does not have any apparent drone characteristics.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Clarkent is infamous around these parts
where can I order Europipe exhausts? my cousin would be going next month to San Diego Cal.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
I think rufs ears may be a little shot.....sorry rufy....there is such things as hearing aid now.

I recall Stef specifically quoting the EP2 system as having it....no question.

Eh, can you speak up a little...and stop yer mumbling.

I remember Stef stating that it wasn't for sensitive ears (which mine apparently aren't) but I don't recall him saying it had 'drone'. I think that was probably product liability speak anyway.

I still think the idea of 'drone' is very subjective. Some people may think they hear 'drone' while others with the same system don't.

And Bob's example of a tuning fork is 'drone' exemplified. A constant unwavering monotone. Heck, that's ALL a tuning fork does! Oh, and irritate medical school students.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Clarkent
where can I order Europipe exhausts? my cousin would be going next month to San Diego Cal.
Email Stef@Europipe.be or their website is http://www.europipe.be.

TPC http://www.tpcracing.com/products/99...opipe-Exhaust/ also sells it here in the States but in your case in might be cheaper to have Stef send it directly to you rather than have your cuz buy it here.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
For the most part, I can't detect an audible drone on my FVD street version and my hearing is OK (I think). Somewhere between 2000-3000 and going up my hill I do notice the exhaust ever so slightly on the verge of droning but I wouldn't classify it as drone like other exhausts that are clearly droning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe or Tubi or valve system?