997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe or Tubi or valve system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
Smile Europipe or Tubi or valve system?

First, I wanna thank you for all who helped me out on which exhaust system that I am going to buy. I also wanna apologize I asked too much questions lately.

EP1 vs Tubi street which is louder?
Which has less drone?
Which has the most gain hp/tq?

I have also consider the valve systems. Since I want to listen to music and be able to talk on the phone. I don't want to draw too much attention in some areas. Since my tt is a yellow speed and I am in Taiwan. I get way too much head turns.

Kreissieg, Capristo, FVD, TechArt, etc. I know these systems cost a lot more and are they worth it? I heard the valves breaks very easily.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by europeankar
First, I wanna thank you for all who helped me out on which exhaust system that I am going to buy. I also wanna apologize I asked too much questions lately.

EP1 vs Tubi street which is louder?
Which has less drone?
Which has the most gain hp/tq?

I have also consider the valve systems. Since I want to listen to music and be able to talk on the phone. I don't want to draw too much attention in some areas. Since my tt is a yellow speed and I am in Taiwan. I get way too much head turns.

Kreissieg, Capristo, FVD, TechArt, etc. I know these systems cost a lot more and are they worth it? I heard the valves breaks very easily.
Hey Europeankar, Just a reminder I have a real cheap near new tubi street boxed up and ready to rock and roll.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i took the advice of a majority of people here and went with tubi street...sounds like it should have from the factory, no drone, no cel's

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handdoc
i took the advice of a majority of people here and went with tubi street...sounds like it should have from the factory, no drone, no cel's
Tubi street is without doubt a very popular system and a lot of people love em!!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Tubi or EP, you can't go wrong.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Hey Europeankar, Just a reminder I have a real cheap near new tubi street boxed up and ready to rock and roll.

You forgot to mention that you switched to the EP.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Don't forget Fabspeed... The 997tt system sounds outstanding.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
I really don't know what's in my head now. I own the tt over 3 weeks now and I know I want more "sound". I listened to many tt exhausts on youtube and they all sound relevant to me. I guess I am spoiled by friends 430, M5, C63, etc. These n/a cars sounds very smoking hot. Even better with aftermarket exhaust. I don't know, I had a cayman s with AWE cat back and I loved the sound! 996 3.6 with agency power also sounded not bad too but both of them had some drone. I listened to Capristo for Cayman S on youtube many many times even now I find it amazing. I don't know! Is this how our tt sounds or its the computer speakers? I honest don't think they sound too much difference for each specific aftermarket exhaust for the tt.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
Tubi drones a little through 2K

Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I really don't know what's in my head now. I own the tt over 3 weeks now and I know I want more "sound". I listened to many tt exhausts on youtube and they all sound relevant to me. I guess I am spoiled by friends 430, M5, C63, etc. These n/a cars sounds very smoking hot. Even better with aftermarket exhaust. I don't know, I had a cayman s with AWE cat back and I loved the sound! 996 3.6 with agency power also sounded not bad too but both of them had some drone. I listened to Capristo for Cayman S on youtube many many times even now I find it amazing. I don't know! Is this how our tt sounds or its the computer speakers? I honest don't think they sound too much difference for each specific aftermarket exhaust for the tt.
IMHO, the first thing to do is *not* to compare sound by youtube. Internet clippings are notoriously unreliable as there is no standard for recording (mic, etc.) or playback at all. For example, the subwoofer of your computer system totally changes the sound, regardless of how it was recorded. The one and only way to know is try to listen to the exhaust in person (live audition). Short of this, you really are taking chances.

There are significant differences in the way each after-market exhaust system sounds: loudness, frequency, "character" (staccato vs. continuous), etc. Listen in person and you'll see what I mean.

Yes - with a good exhaust system you *can* make the Turbo sound as competitive as many NA cars out there. Not all, just many; nothing could reproduce the amazing Lambo howl. IMH (and amateurish ) opinion, the key to making a Turbo to sound similar to a NA car is the after-market exhaust system has to be reasonably loud, and it *has* to scream with high frequency at WOT.

Re. your reference to Cayman: I've attended a mini shoot-out for Cayman exhausts at the local Porsche club so I know its sound is excellent. That said, I also think that a number of after market exhaust systems for the Turbo yield very little to it - you just have to find the right one. For example, recently I switched back and forth between a 2010 GT3 and my Turbo during a 3 hours test drive in Los Angeles mountain roads and truly did not miss anything sound-wise when I am in my Turbo. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by cannga; 08-21-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I found that the crossflow exhaust design will give you the closest sound to GT3's scream, but will leave you with some drone (as all high flow aftermarket exhausts do...yes all ALL ALL ALL exhausts give some drone.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmbdz...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0w6s...layer_embedded

Last edited by bbywu; 08-21-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
I heard a EP the other day leaving the dealer and it was the best sounding pipe I have heard on the Turbos....

Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
The only way to change my Europipe stage 1 is to go with stage 2

Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
You forgot to mention that you switched to the EP.
Nah. I couldnt do that ruf Don't worry I pm'd him and gave him the full scoop. He's been fully informed why so its his call now to what he buys. I think if he wants a bargain he cant go past my tubi for value. If he wants the EP then he's gonna have to pay the price.

No sense twisting yourself up in knots day in day out hoping for a better or different answer. Best to get off the merry go round and bite that bullet .
Youtube clips are not the way forward and i see cannga has chimed in to offer his advice on that. Live auditions are the only way to go to make a "definitive sound" decision. And as bbywu says.....they ALL will drone to a degree. So best to go easy on yourself and take the advice given.

Originally Posted by bbywu
I found that the crossflow exhaust design will give you the closest sound to GT3's scream, but will leave you with some drone (as all high flow aftermarket exhausts do...yes all ALL ALL ALL exhausts give some drone.)
Bob, +1 on that....and particularly the honesty on the drone.

Originally Posted by caltex
I heard a EP the other day leaving the dealer and it was the best sounding pipe I have heard on the Turbos....
Thats what i also get told from time to time by folks who have heard me drive off. My P dealer also comments its the best they've heard so far by a long shot. I must get the time one day to stand on the sidewalk and let someone else drive off flat out in my car. Its just that i like being the one in the drivers seat too much

Originally Posted by milou
The only way to change my Europipe stage 1 is to go with stage 2
+1 Milou. But for me the only time i'll be taking mine off is when i sell my car come 991tt time.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Youtube clips are not the way forward and i see cannga has chimed in to offer his advice on that. Live auditions are the only way to go to make a "definitive sound" decision. And as bbywu says.....they ALL will drone to a degree. So best to go easy on yourself and take the advice given.

Bob, +1 on that....and particularly the honesty on the drone.
Bob and Speed21,

Very much agree and I am glad someone else besides me is pointing out the obvious.

For those new to exhaust and looking: If you search enough on Porsche forums, you will see that there is a complaint about drone for every single exhaust system on the market. NO EXCEPTION, none, nada, nunca!
(So why is it not a problem with the majority of owners of after-market exhausts? Click the exhaust link in my signature to see the explanation, but basically it usually resides outside of the range where we normally cruise, below 3000 rpm.)

In fact I even submit my theory that the exhaust that has the least drone is the one that has no low frequency punch at all and is too quiet -- this is not good.
So... I almost want to think :-) that drone (I prefer resonance) is part and parcel of any good sounding & free flowing exhaust; read my explanation and concentrate on the sound and quality, and reputation. Don't let the recent drone witch hunt scare you.

Last edited by cannga; 08-22-2010 at 09:17 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe or Tubi or valve system?