997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Zr1 vs 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by V12BiTurboAMG
If you guys have to choose between a 997.1 turbo or a 2010 ZR1 which would you guys choose and why. Thanks.
Both are wonderful cars, but IMO, the Porsche is a much better-built car overall. The ZR1, however, is an absolute beast with a warranty. Stock to stock, the ZR1 is also much quicker in a straight-line and around a roadcourse than a 997TT.1.

If I planned to keep both cars stock, I'd definitely consider the ZR1. But if the choice were between a used 997 GT2 and a ZR1 (with the intention of keeping both stock), I'd choose the GT2.

However; if I had the intention of modifying them (997.1 vs ZR1), I'd choose the Porsche every time.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-23-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
I am willing to bet that a PROPERLY driven ZR1 would be a good 3-4 car lengths ahead of a PDK from a 50-150 with an even start. <O</O
<O</O

Notice I said PROPERLY driven. I am very well aware that most of these cars are driven by people that will not shift in .2 secs, nor are they driven perfectly when shifting at redline, BUT, in the event that a PDK does run across a PROPERLY driven ZR1, it is game over for the PDK.

Yes, I would take a PDK over the ZR1 any day, but car biased and reality are two different entities. I tend to stick with the ladder.<O</O

Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Oh, and talking about mods, a ZR1 with bolt ons, pullies, and a tune is good for 140 mph traps. Ask me how I know.....my buddy has one and ran mid 10's at 140 mph HOT LAPPING the car.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
That vette is going to be a DUDE magnet. The Porsche should be more under the radar.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by V12BiTurboAMG
If you guys have to choose between a 997.1 turbo or a 2010 ZR1 which would you guys choose and why. Thanks.
Ah, Geez, no contest. I've owned both brands. As I said in another post, always go for QUALITY over absolute speed. The Porsche's build and materials quality is in another world compared to the 'vette. My 'vette was worn and torn and trashed at 35K miles.
Even if it is incrementally slower by some standard, you drive at 35 to 45 most days -- do you REALLY want to be driving ALLthe time in something that isn't good quality, just so that for a few seconds every month you MIGHT be a few car lengths faster than the other guy?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lee Willis
Ah, Geez, no contest. I've owned both brands. As I said in another post, always go for QUALITY over absolute speed. The Porsche's build and materials quality is in another world compared to the 'vette. My 'vette was worn and torn and trashed at 35K miles.
Even if it is incrementally slower by some standard, you drive at 35 to 45 most days -- do you REALLY want to be driving ALLthe time in something that isn't good quality, just so that for a few seconds every month you MIGHT be a few car lengths faster than the other guy?

Very well said! A vette is very cheap in terms of interior quality! I know a vette is very fast and has a great power train but the rest of the car is just mediocre at best...This is the sad thing about most american cars! They lack the quality of a german or italian car....I was also considering a zr1 before my purchase of a 997.1...I chose the 997 just on terms of quality...When it's all said and done, it's a very well put together car!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 AM
ryanl33x1511 is infamous around these parts
zr1 stand no chance

Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
I have actually fantasized about an F430 with an LS9 (the ZR1 engine) in it. I realize that is sacrilege to some, but what works, works. 720 with just a smaller puelly and a re-flash, would just sort of be fantastic.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
That vette is going to be a DUDE magnet. The Porsche should be more under the radar.

I've had my '07 Turbo for five days so far. Every GUY I pass watches me go by. Haven't noticed any ladies (definitely no HOT ladies) check it out yet.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
rscholl is infamous around these parts
I can confirm the ZR1 is a monster. My buddy just got a 2010. I rode with him while he burnished the brakes. 50 0-60-0 runs. It was fun, if not a little nauseating at times. He was accelerating a 3/4 throttle and it felt like it pulled harder than mine in any gear at full throttle. We did a single 0-70ish run side by side for fun, but we didn't get a perfectly even start as he was engaging launch control, so I got a jump in first gear. Once he hooked up though I could see him pull pretty hard on me and came right up on me by the end. If we would have kept going he would have passed me pretty handily. Plus he can hit 65 in first gear and I had to shift, but still, it's damn fast. My 997.1 TT has AWE ECU tune and exhaust, so I should be just over 600 hp. Looks like it's time for the 650 package!

ZR-1's are getting sick power with minimal mods. Another one I know of did just LT headers and tune and put down 600 rwhp. 650 at the wheels if you add a pulley.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Wheel'$ForLe$$ is infamous around these parts
ZR1 without questions

Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Tides is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up ZR1 nil - 997.1tt tip one

Originally Posted by SCvet00
I am willing to bet that a PROPERLY driven ZR1 would be a good 3-4 car lengths ahead of a PDK from a 50-150 with an even start. <O</O
<O</O

Notice I said PROPERLY driven. I am very well aware that most of these cars are driven by people that will not shift in .2 secs, nor are they driven perfectly when shifting at redline, BUT, in the event that a PDK does run across a PROPERLY driven ZR1, it is game over for the PDK.

Yes, I would take a PDK over the ZR1 any day, but car biased and reality are two different entities. I tend to stick with the ladder.<O</O

Came up to lights and a ZR1 in front of me pulled over to next lane. He was ichin for a race. Lights turned green and he just leisurely edged in front of me for about 25 yards then floored it. I instinctively floored the 997.1tt TIP. Both cars were evenly matched but I gained slightly at his first gear change. Both cars still even at about the 100mph when the ZR1 missed his gear, and I could hear the mis mesh. TT overtook and won the day. The adrenalin was shooting up me back for minutes afterwards. I presume he was stock, and mine is too, even forgot to do sport mode. Made my day though !

Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Good,cause I am more into babes...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Chewy is infamous around these parts
Sweet video. Always entertaining to see to awsome cars battle like that.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tides
Came up to lights and a ZR1 in front of me pulled over to next lane. He was ichin for a race. Lights turned green and he just leisurely edged in front of me for about 25 yards then floored it. I instinctively floored the 997.1tt TIP. Both cars were evenly matched but I gained slightly at his first gear change. Both cars still even at about the 100mph when the ZR1 missed his gear, and I could hear the mis mesh. TT overtook and won the day. The adrenalin was shooting up me back for minutes afterwards. I presume he was stock, and mine is too, even forgot to do sport mode. Made my day though !
well done!

Based on specs the 0-100mph should be reasonably close b/w a 997.1tt and ZR1 (Car and Driver did 7.8 on a 6speed, but I've seen numbers as high as mid 8s). But that doesn't really tell the whole story especially going from a roll. I would've thought he'd spank you even with a tiptronic but it sounds like it was at least competitive, well done again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zr1 vs 997tt