997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Zr1 vs 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Both are wonderful cars, but IMO, the Porsche is a much better-built car overall. The ZR1, however, is an absolute beast with a warranty. Stock to stock, the ZR1 is also much quicker in a straight-line and around a roadcourse than a 997TT.1.

If I planned to keep both cars stock, I'd definitely consider the ZR1. But if the choice were between a used 997 GT2 and a ZR1 (with the intention of keeping both stock), I'd choose the GT2.

However; if I had the intention of modifying them (997.1 vs ZR1), I'd choose the Porsche every time.
+1, I think you are spot on. I've also owned a C6 Z06 which is a fantastic car for the price. The truth is, the Z06 as compared to the 911TT or the ZR1 compared to the GT2 are roughly half the price - and this is not by mistake. In order to achieve that, some things from the Corvette cannot be at the level of the 911 and it's really a question of whether the owner or prospective owner values those things highly or not.

I am considering a GT2 at the moment and again, while I appreciate the ZR1 and it's potential, I simply value the fit and finish of the 997 more than an outright high power/performance ratio.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Gustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of light
I am the driver of the 911 Turbo 997 PDK in this video and the car was stock. Tha twas the first time ever I drove a 911 Turbo PDK.

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Corvette ZR1 vs Porsche 997 Turbo

2 great cars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCw88BNJAPM

Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gustav
I am the driver of the 911 Turbo 997 PDK in this video and the car was stock. Tha twas the first time ever I drove a 911 Turbo PDK.
gustav,
what did you think of the pdk turbo? how does its performance compare to other cars you have driven?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Gustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of lightGustav is a glorious beacon of light
It was surprisngly fast, the kick in the back you get from the new turbo is really surprising and doubleclutch shifts as well

One thing surprised me and that was the nervousness at sat between 150-170 mph on somewhat bumpoeir roads. I beleive all 911s are nervous in the front at very high speeds?

Originally Posted by OCTurbo
gustav,
what did you think of the pdk turbo? how does its performance compare to other cars you have driven?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I beleive all 911s are nervous in the front at very high speeds?
Yes, with stock suspensions they are a bit bouncy on the front...

Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Yes, with stock suspensions they are a bit bouncy on the front...
Sooooo true,that front end is a handfull at high speeds
Too bad its not as firmly planted as the rear

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 AM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
A word about quality: I replaced a leased STS-V with a 2003 996 cab 6-spd (CPO). I had the STS-V for 3 years and the 996 for 2. Both served as daily drivers. I put 18K per year on my cars.

The new Caddy had several major warranty repairs, each of which required long waits for parts. The failures that created the longest waits were a failed rear axle bearing and a failed electric component in the transmission which kept the car at the dealership for six weeks (three weeks each incident) - waiting for parts! Both times I got a base model Pontiac ****box as a loaner. The Caddy was a fun car to drive, but dealing with GM dealerships was a NIGHTMARE.

The 2003 996 was already 5 years old when I bought it. It's had no major issues - although I've had two AC compressors fail (both replaced within one day). My local dealer is outstanding. I've only needed a loaner once and got a Boxter. It was fun for a day.

Bottom line - I'm shopping for an 08 CPO turbo cab right now. I wouldn't consider a ZR1.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
My buddy/coworker has a C6 Z06. His roof flew off at speed TWICE! (once after being "fixed"). Each time he was given the privilege of driving a piece-o-crap base GM car with manual windows!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I'd take either cars.