997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Zr1 vs 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
Zr1 vs 997tt

Corvette ZR1 vs Porsche 997 Turbo

2 great cars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCw88BNJAPM

Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
That is one fast porsche to keep up with a Zr1 like that. Is it really stock? With a few bolt ons it would be game over...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
there is no way the P car is stock...the ZR1s are animals...looks like a whole lot of fun though...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM
1017 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by C4TT
With a few bolt ons it would be game over...
Same can be said for both cars..

Great race

Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
PDK is the great equalizer. DCT/PDK etc are the wave of the future. Just so efficient. No manual will be able to handle it. If these two cars had comparable power the PDK Porsche would have walked away nastily. The ZR1's power overcame the PDK's efficiency to a near tie. But the last race the ZR1 did pull up top with the slight jump that helped it overcome the PDK's wicked wicked shifts. Great driver in the ZR1 as he didnt lose alot of ground on his shifts.

An RS GT2 with a PDK [if one came that way] would be lights out for any car save the Veyron.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
you can see how much the zr1 is loosing between the shifts

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
beepbeep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by snakebitten
PDK is the great equalizer. DCT/PDK etc are the wave of the future. Just so efficient. No manual will be able to handle it. If these two cars had comparable power the PDK Porsche would have walked away nastily. The ZR1's power overcame the PDK's efficiency to a near tie. But the last race the ZR1 did pull up top with the slight jump that helped it overcome the PDK's wicked wicked shifts. Great driver in the ZR1 as he didnt lose alot of ground on his shifts.

An RS GT2 with a PDK [if one came that way] would be lights out for any car save the Veyron.
Maybe, maybe not. ZR1's low speed problem is two wheels trying to put 600+ to the ground. GT2 would have same problem. If you started a roll on at 80 MPH with either car, game over for the Turbo. Turbo has three things going for it that gives it the advantage at the start: broad power band (power under the curve), four wheel traction and PDK.
Cheers

Last edited by beepbeep; 08-23-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional explanation
Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
Nothing like not losing boost between shifts! My old Porsche would have like a 1 Mississippi between shifts! Without that, the car would have been absurd. Same goes for any of these other manual cars.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by beepbeep
Maybe, maybe not. ZR1's low speed problem is two wheels trying to put 600+ to the ground. GT2 would have same problem. If you started a roll on at 80 MPH with either car, game over for the Turbo. Turbo has three things going for it that gives it the advantage at the start: broad power band (power under the curve), four wheel traction and PDK.
Cheers
The GT2 puts down power in a way few RWD cars can, so no, the GT2 would not have the same problem as the ZR1. The GT2 with just a slight roll on puts down power almost like an AWD car. I cannot speak for the ZR1, but given it's similarity to the Z06 in terms of suspension setup, it is likely very similar if not a bit worse because of the extra power. Between my old Z06 and a 997 GT2 there is no comparison, GT2 all day long. To the comments about PDK being the future because of it's quick shifts, please don't open that can of worms... it's been widely discussed that not everyone is overtly concerned with which gearbox shifts the fastest - they actually put a lot of value in the physical driving experience as well (imagine that).

Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I cannot speak for the ZR1, but given it's similarity to the Z06 in terms of suspension setup, it is likely very similar if not a bit worse because of the extra power.
I've driven them both back to back and they are very different. They are both good at 8/10ths, but the ZO6 is a bit tricky and skitish at 10/10ths -- almost like an early Viper. I agree with C&D that GM clearly cured the problem with the ZR1 with whatever magic suspension tuning or something they did (and well they should with the extra power) --it feels about the same at 8/10ths cornering but stays much more planted and stable as you really push it.
Since GM did not really ever "fix" the issue with the ZO6, and clearly could if it were only suspension tuning, I assume it is because the ZR1 weighs more and that affects the suspension and handling somehow.
I actually don't like the handling of either of these cars that much -- they understeer more than I like and they communicate a feeling that you have to manhandle them to get them to go fast in the twisties.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
there is no way the P car is stock...the ZR1s are animals...looks like a whole lot of fun though...
Yes, it's a stock PDK 997TT.

From 0-300 km/h (0-186 mph), the ZR1 is indeed the faster car way up top (32.6, fastest time I can find). However, with just a flash and a drop-in filter, the 997TT PDK is just as fast as a ZR1 to 186 mph (31.2 vs 41.9 for a stock PDK TT).

A stock GT2 RS, however, is faster than both (28.6).

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-23-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
A fre-lash and a drop in filter is no longer stock.

Just about everyone I know with a ZR1 runs a "12% kit" they get somewhere with a smaller pulley a re-flash -- most also have dummy O2 sensors installed but then I know a lot of folks with only a reflash that that that precaution, the reflash erases the factory torque limitation which in itself unleashes a good deal of added omph.

I don't which would win but my point is that once you start the "with just" game there is no stopping and there is always a faster car.

Factory cars come with stuff we just ignore in the aftermarket -- mainly a tune that will tolerate 100,000 miles of abuse and "drift" from factory specs and still stay within emissions limits. I respec the manufacturers for abiding by the rules and the stock cars are their best attempts to do that, so I judge the relative merits of cars by how they do quite literally, "out of the box."
Currently the ZR1 is the big dog among stock cars (at least all those below the list price of a new 458 Italia), particularly in situations like this, where the "heat soak" that always gets to a high RPM turbo sooner and more than it hurts a lazy pushrod V8 just killed the Porsche in the second race: I am certain a cool and fresh 911 turbo would have killed the ZR1 again.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lee Willis
A fre-lash and a drop in filter is no longer stock.
You are correct. That's exactly why I caveated my statement with; "However, with just a flash and a drop-in filter". That would imply, not stock.

Stock (meaning without a flash and drop-in filter), with 138 less HP and 300 lbs more weight, a 997TT PDK is close enough in acceleration to a stock ZR1 that one mistake by the ZR1 owner and the P-car wins.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
V12BiTurboAMG is infamous around these parts
If you guys have to choose between a 997.1 turbo or a 2010 ZR1 which would you guys choose and why. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by V12BiTurboAMG
If you guys have to choose between a 997.1 turbo or a 2010 ZR1 which would you guys choose and why. Thanks.
I'd get the 997.1 again b/c of the overall driving and ownership experience but wonder how much power is needed to keep pace with one from 20mph up to about 150mph? i.e. tune plus exhaust or does it need upgraded vtgs too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zr1 vs 997tt