997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The much maligned 2010/11 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Anyways...

1) Trap Speed will tell you about your HP to weight
2) ET will tell you more about traction and your launch

A 10 second pass with a flash in a 997.2TT only happens with PDK. Try that on a manual.

If you want to compare engines...stick with engines. Show me a 10 second pass on a 6speed 997.2TT with a flash.

Last edited by bbywu; 09-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
Anyways...

1) Trap Speed will tell you about your HP to weight
2) ET will tell you more about traction and your launch

A 10 second 997.2TT with a tune doesn't tell me anything about the HP being produced by the car. If you want to compare engines and HP being produced, talk 60-130s or trap speeds.
Understood..

If you just want to talk about engines then why do you need to run them at all, just put them on the dyno..

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Understood..

If you just want to talk about engines then why do you need to run them at all, just put them on the dyno..
Because dynos are notoriously easy to manipulate - just look at what a "stock dyno" looks like for every vehicle on this forum. The runs all look different.

A dyno may help you determine how much additional power is being made as you take the same vehicle and add performance enhancements (percent gain over baseline)...but they serve as a terrible way to compare two vehicles. Different transmissions, different loads.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
Because dynos are notoriously easy to manipulate - just look at what a "stock dyno" looks like for every vehicle on this forum. The runs all look different.

A dyno may help you determine how much additional power is being made as you take the same vehicle and add performance enhancements (percent gain over baseline)...but they serve as a terrible way to compare two vehicles. Different transmissions, different loads.
Absolutely..

More to the point...

I have had the old and the new and I would never go back. My old car was a moded tip and while it was fast it just feels less responsive than the new one by a large margin. I think it is because of the DFI, larger displacement, higher compression and the PDK combined. The old car needed to spool a bit where the new one is ready all the time. From 0-100 it is in a different league. At high MPH # it's closer though and as you indicated a truer measure of power.

I drove the old one for 3 years and put 11K on it without a problem (except the battery ). It was the best new car I have ever had. I hope the new one is as good.

After the break in I'll give this one the mod treatment as well. I really don't think that I need to worry about the motor, it's not the weak link. The motor will be able to crank out more power than the PDK can deal with anyway.