997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The much maligned 2010/11 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
The much maligned 2010/11 tt

Jeez, to read some of the threads about the inadequate new turbo you’d think it was on a par with a Yugo.
<O</O
I have owned one for almost 5 months and have driven 5000 miles so I think that I have a good basis for what I say.
<O</O
This is absolutely the finest car that Porsche or any sports car manuf has ever made. It so precisely balanced in every regard that it may not be possible to improve, but Porsche probably at some point in the future will.
<O</O
The criticisms are:
<O</O
Not enough power – Come on, 40-60 mph in second gear 1 sec. Who needs more than that!
<O</O
PDK can only handle 580 hp – Why is this a problem? The engine and trans are perfectly balanced, to say nothing about the suspension and rest of systems.
<O</O
Poor sound – It’s really not bad. From what I can tell due to it being a TURBO the after market systems can only make it louder, so why bother?
<O</O
There I’ve said it. If you want to spend more money or brain cells maybe you have other problems. Tear me apart if you want to but if you want a more exotic car or sound buy a Lambo or Ferrari. At least the Porsche Cab roof doesn’t leak, like the 500K Lambo that was covered in duct tape last week in the Hamptons.<ST1</ST1

Last edited by number 3; 08-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
What he said !

Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM
xyzzy is infamous around these parts
+1

!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
I think the loud turbo whoosh sound makes up for the low engine/exhaust note. I really enjoy the turbo sound.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, pleasantly loud, indeed, not to mention the whistles and pops!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I don't know what you have been reading.

Nearly everyone I know has praised this car for being incredibly fast out of the box. We are unanimous in our agreement that the PDK is an amazingly shifting device.

However, the .2 is less engaging....although that is not my criticism, I would love to have one.

The big problem is that there seems to be emerging a contingent of nuthuggers who have deluded themselves into thinking that the .2 is on par w/ the Mezger based cars in terms of modability and ultimate horsepower.

It is not.

If we appreciate the .2 for what it is, its a great car if you want an effortless DD that is a turnkey 10.9 second car.

It will never be the weekend warrior/highway roll on/beatdown car that the mezgers are/were.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Dr Mezger,

We're talking mods on the .2 so I think that you're a little off topic but whatever floats your boat.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by number 3
Dr Mezger,

We're talking mods on the .2 so I think that you're a little off topic but whatever floats your boat.

????Modability (or lack therof) is exactly my point.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Dear Dr J. Mezger or whatever,

I’m sure that you have a perfectly adequate car but the discussion here is not to compare a .2 to a .1 but whether to mod or not mod a .2.

So if you can contribute that that discussion fine otherwise bug off.<O</O

Last edited by number 3; 09-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Try and grasp the technical discussion here. Mezger vs Newer

Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I

The big problem is that there seems to be emerging a contingent of nuthuggers who have deluded themselves into thinking that the .2 is on par w/ the Mezger based cars in terms of modability and ultimate horsepower.

It is not.
The REAL problem is a emerging contingent of nuhuggers who have deluded themselves into thinking that a brand new motor (.2 turbo) has been anywhere close the amount of trial and error that went on with the mezger engine. THEN, assume it doesn't have smilar potential if not more.

They ASSUME that there won't be advances in the PDK to handle more load.
They ASSUME that people won't figure out how to get huge amounts of power from the motor.
They ASSUME that tuners that have years of tuning a mezger engine must be able to get the same output from a turbo DFI motor within less than a year.

I haven't even seen a tuner take apart the new DFI motor and give results back ... not to mention it would be the first one. I wouldn't want to go back to "years ago" to see how well tuners did on the mezger engines initially.

Now with all that said ... who knows ... but I"m not going to ASSUME anything.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
What assumptions? The advantage of the mezger is clearly in materials and racing based components (Nikasil vs Lokasil, better/more forged parts etc, wet sump vs dry sump and the list goes on and on)

No one is assuming anything, they are simply making an empirical comparison.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
this is an interesting post. The title implies that a discussion regarding the 997.2 is relevant. Dr. J makes some points and instead of his points being discussed or critisized, he critisized. That is just an ad hominem attack on a guy that is honestly trying to provide input.
on another note, Champion's War Admiral is a 997.2 with all sorts of mods and data. we should watch projects like that one to see how all of this shakes out.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Sorry to offend.

I think that a more interesting discussion is that the total number of 10/11 turbos in the<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region>U.S. market will be no more than 1000. The next turbo around 2013 or 14 will be based on the next engine. So with such a small pool of cars and the number of owners looking to mod their cars much smaller than that will there be tuners willing to design and build a lot of stuff for such a small market. Probably not.
<O</O
So is this a bad thing? I don’t think so.
<O</O
As far as future value, these cars may turn out to be the most desirable Porsche. For instance when the 997 first came out with many upgrades and new features, nobody wanted a 996 with its unusual headlights etc. Now a few years later the 996 is doing quite well and the 997.1 is taking a hit over the major upgrades found in the 997.2.
<O</O
Maybe a similar pattern will emerge when the next model comes out?

Last edited by number 3; 09-01-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
well

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
What assumptions? The advantage of the mezger is clearly in materials and racing based components (Nikasil vs Lokasil, better/more forged parts etc, wet sump vs dry sump and the list goes on and on)

No one is assuming anything, they are simply making an empirical comparison.
While there MIGHT be advantages of some of those things ... I think people keep comparing old tech vs new tech. Are you sure that the lokasil method is exactly the same as the years gone by way? Are you sure that the new wet sump is really that much inferior?
If I took the 3.8DFI motor and used all old tech methods (which you are using) then yes most likely it would be inferior. My point is that all the negatives you pointed out are assuming that they really are still just as bad as before. I mean seriously do you think that no advances occurred in the last couple decades for these methods?
Where does DFI play in all this? There are massive benefits of DFI which aren't mentioned at all. Could the use of DFI mean that different parts can be used? Different methods?

Your empirical comprison only takes the negatives and doesn't apply any of the positives. Which to me ... means its useless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The much maligned 2010/11 tt