997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Valentine 1 concealed dimmer problem help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Sure, I'll throw some up.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AgentSteel
Dinorocz is absolutely correct, in order to get the display inside the stock mirrors, the dimmer had to be disabled or removed. I believe there are aftermarket mirrors that come with a concealed display (CheetahUSA comes to mind), with their Valentine One adapter, also has dimmer/GPS.

Depending on the extent of the install, the unit itself has to be mounted somewhere high with front and rear view access, basically headliner, headrests. If the previous owner was really into it, the unit could be placed anywhere (glove box, under seat), and the sensors incorporated into the front and rear bumpers for a 100% concealed appearance.
It depends on whether you are talking about the dimmer for the V1 concealed display or the auto-dimming capability of the mirror.

In the case of the V1 display that is incorrect, I have made dozens of these mirrors and it all depends how you do it. The etching in your mirror does not include the area where the light sensor is located, as such the display board will think it is dark all of the time and reduce the brightness. If this is not the case then the light sensor may have been removed and replaced with a resistor which would effectively set the brightness at a fixed level.

Now... if it's the auto dimming capability of the mirror we are taling about that is a different story. The current Porsche auto-dim mirrors cannot be etched, due to the way they are constructed the process will destroy the dimming gel. There are options, the manual dimming mirrors can be etched or either mirror can be rebuilt with two-way glass. If you really want auto-dimming and the embedded V1 display then there are options but mounting can be more invloved. If your Porsche mirror mounts on a "button" then it can be swapped for an Audi mirror with compass and embedded V1 display behind two-way glass.

There are lots of options, very mirror type is a little bit different and can require a different approach, believe me... I have cursed so many at times, I'd give my left nut if all manufacturers would use one type that was easy to modify!!