997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Valentine 1 concealed dimmer problem help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 AM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Valentine 1 concealed dimmer problem help!

Hey folks,

I bought the car used and I figured out I have V1 concealed installed on my tt. I am getting really fed up at night time since I have no dimmer. I have played with the switch underneath the handbrake. I have pressed, rotated, turn it on and off. I still don't have the dimmer. My sides are fine. I have no clue where the radar is hidden. I have an extra cord that goes to the roof liner. Perhaps it was originally without dimmer or it is broken?

This is the e-mail that V1 replies me:

Thanks for your email.

This appears to be that someone has taken apart the Concealed Display and installed the V1
somewhere in the car. It’s strictly aftermarket, so we can’t give you much information on how this
was installed or how it works.

We can take a look at the V1, but you will have to find it. You may be able to do this by
tracing the wires.

Cordially,

Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
when you have the v1 etched in the mirror, which by the way is a great install, they disable the dimmer. There is no way for you to get the dimmer back unless you get a new mirror.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
My bet is that the actual V1 unit is long gone.

You have 2 choices:

1. Get another V1 and connect it up, living with the non dimable mirror. I think the modification process to conceal the display damages the dimming function making it useless. I am sure if you follow the cables you can see where the unit was hidden.

2. Order a replacement mirror and console trim piece and put the car back to stock. You would have ZERO trouble selling the V1 mirror.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
TXTurbo,

It's strange that when I turn on the V1. It still detects the bands and stuff. When I press the ****. It shows R, L, etc. I still beeps. It's just I have no clue where they hidden the V1 unit. ummm

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I think that tracing the wires is the only way to find the unit. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
why do you need the dimmer? if the mirror lights up too bright, maybe you just get some tint film over that area as an easy solution?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Radcliff is infamous around these parts
I think he is referring to the dimming function of the mirror when being followed by a truck at night, or any thing else with lights that shine right through the rear window.

Does that mirror even have the dimming function in it? Becasue it should be automatic.

Take a look and see if there is a light sensor at the front of the mirror.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM

This last pic, do you guys have the small light like I do?? I looked again I don't see any sign of radar in the car or hidden on the roof.

Last edited by europeankar; 09-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
They usually install the unit in the rear just under the rear window behind that vertical panel.
I have a similar setup, but my dimming works fine.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
They usually install the unit in the rear just under the rear window behind that vertical panel.
Umm, I will check again tomorrow in day time to see where they mount it. Do you have V1 as well?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Fastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to beholdFastforwardwheels is a splendid one to behold
there are many places to place a V1 especially if it custom fitted... best thing to do is trace the wiring to find it...

Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
AgentSteel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dinorocz
when you have the v1 etched in the mirror, which by the way is a great install, they disable the dimmer. There is no way for you to get the dimmer back unless you get a new mirror.
Dinorocz is absolutely correct, in order to get the display inside the stock mirrors, the dimmer had to be disabled or removed. I believe there are aftermarket mirrors that come with a concealed display (CheetahUSA comes to mind), with their Valentine One adapter, also has dimmer/GPS.

Depending on the extent of the install, the unit itself has to be mounted somewhere high with front and rear view access, basically headliner, headrests. If the previous owner was really into it, the unit could be placed anywhere (glove box, under seat), and the sensors incorporated into the front and rear bumpers for a 100% concealed appearance.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
DLB1964 is infamous around these parts
From what I've seen on the Valentine One installs for Porsches, the preferred areas are the headliner or the rear shelf.

Thats the 2 places with the most sensitivity for the V-1.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by europeankar
Umm, I will check again tomorrow in day time to see where they mount it. Do you have V1 as well?
yes, similar setup.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
ttsurgeon, do you have any pics of how the v1 is mounted in the rear ? and where did you get your mirror from .

thanks ronnie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 concealed dimmer problem help!