997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

APR reloaded...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
APR reloaded...

Hello again,
Well after selling my black/black manual 2008 997tt a couple of months ago and after looking around to see where I would go next, I ended up again with a 2009 grey/grey manual 2009 997tt with only 8000miles on the clock, which was in a brand new condition. The car was bought new last year from a friend of mine as a present to his wife and was completely stock and unmolested as you can expect...

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase, but I could not stand being stock for very long so I thought this time around to try a small different approach... Instead of having in the back of my head upgraded turbos etc I decided to simply flash the car with the APR flash (which I had also demoed in my last car and was stunned with the results last year) and later slap on a better exhaust and be done with it... I love the convenience the switching on the fly the cruise control offers and the added resale value apart fom the exceptional performance!
In my experience in buying/selling Porsches the crowd that is interested (at least here) does not want a heavily tuned car and even a flash possibly sets them off... From this point of view the APR convenience will make them think twice before turning down the car (vtg's etc are simply not for the market here)... Another issue is the warranty ofcourse which I do not want to lose (and I don't with a flash/exhaust combo)!

So after carefully considering all of this I ended up with this flash... (pls do not forget that in my last car I tried many many different tunes)

In my first test on an otherwise completely stock car using always and only premium pump gas on the "race setting" (the good one) I can see constantly 6.2-6.4secs 100-200km/h with ambient temps of about 27C.

That is pretty ok considering I did not have much adaptation milage (not more than 10 miles) and i expect to get faster when I throw on the exhaust!

On the technical side I could not resist ofcourse hooking up the durametric and finally putting to rest the much debated issue of boost. So to cut a long story short car in the pump setting (your 95 oct) has a boost of 1.3 bar which slowly falls to 1.15-1.1 after 5000 rpm and holds it to the stock redline and a boost of 1.4 bar falling to 1.25-1.2 after 5000 and holding it to redline in the "race setting" (your 100oct)!

That is completely ok in my book and on par with my past experience/feeling (I had not logged it then) with this flash and on par with other tunes around... ofcourse the dash never shows more than 1 bar neither in normal nor sport mode, but this is again normal since all flashes that boosted more than 1.2 bar in let's say normal mode actually showed 1 bar as well in tha dash of my previous car as well. This means that APR has simply turned off perhaps the 1.2 bar reading from sport mode and reads the max normal mode reading of 1 bar no matter what.

Before you go on and bash Skandalis who has rumbled on for what seemed to be forever and defended his 1 bar claims I called him up (since we are good friends) and told him about my findings... He was stunned and could not believe it... He took me for a ride and indeed his durametric software in his computer verified his claims... I smelled a rat and I hooked up my laptop with the new durametric software (at least newest version that the one Dimitris used) and boom!!! That was it...

Something was/is wrong with the older version and 997tt as it appears as apart from wrong figures sampling froze and even on logging 2 values sometimes it crashed...

Hope my small analysis burries the hatchet and sheds a bit of light in some APR questions...

I will perform more tests as the wheather cools down a bit and report back here for sure in the future.

One thing I will not be able to do as it appears is to compete one more time in the 60-130mph list however, as I have kept the stock rev limiter of 6750rpm and in a manual car that translates to max 204 km/h (126mph) in 4th as I have seen and would have to change into 5th thus killing my time
But I will do my best to break into mid 5's 100-200km/h!

Sorry for the long post - I would be happy to answer any question (if I can ofcourse) and I would also like to thank Matt for all his help.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Costas, let me know when your ready for that exhaust. Most of the 11.2-11.3 quarter mile times I've done with our 911 were done when the track was well over 100 degrees so feel free to drive the hell out of the car year round

Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by madsex343
. He took me for a ride and indeed his durametric software in his computer verified his claims... I smelled a rat and I hooked up my laptop with the new durametric software (at least newest version that the one Dimitris used) and boom!!! That was it...

Something was/is wrong with the older version and 997tt as it appears as apart from wrong figures sampling froze and even on logging 2 values sometimes it crashed...

Hope my small analysis burries the hatchet and sheds a bit of light in some APR questions...
Thanks for posting and confirming what most of us had figured out - there's just no way to have a huge increase in torque without an increase in boost.

Great performance numbers, looking forward to more of your results whenever you get around to it.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
We all knew the boost numbers didn't jive but didn't know why. Now we do and the mystery is solved. Thank you! Your 100-200 times are still very very fast for just a flash. Very impressive. Congrats on your new purchase. You're gonna need an upgraded clutch eventually don't you think?

The car was bought new last year from a friend of mine as a present to his wife and was completely stock and unmolested as you can expect...
Man, if I gave my wife a 997t as a present, first she would start crying, then become enraged with anger, run me over, and then sell it.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Did they get a divorse in order to sell the car? Kostas forgot to mention that his car is wrapped in gray...And the result is awesome...some pics will enlight us...

Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Thanks for posting and confirming what most of us had figured out - there's just no way to have a huge increase in torque without an increase in boost.

Great performance numbers, looking forward to more of your results whenever you get around to it.

Will keep them coming my friend.. no worries...

Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
We all knew the boost numbers didn't jive but didn't know why. Now we do and the mystery is solved. Thank you! Your 100-200 times are still very very fast for just a flash. Very impressive. Congrats on your new purchase. You're gonna need an upgraded clutch eventually don't you think?

Man, if I gave my wife a 997t as a present, first she would start crying, then become enraged with anger, run me over, and then sell it.

Thanks man... it was my obligation to assist in a every possible way once I purchased the flash and do for you guys what no-one else did (who knows why??) for us the past 2 years that this software is around... Answer all our questions..
Well you know what they say... if you want something done right do it yourself....

So far partly due to the car low milage and perfect situation and pampered previous ownership (maybe even due the heat) the clutch seems to hold just fine... But I have in the back of my mind that this will not last for long so I am saving for a stage 2 Sachs already, yes..

P.S. He bought her a Panamera turbo....

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Did they get a divorse in order to sell the car? Kostas forgot to mention that his car is wrapped in gray...And the result is awesome...some pics will enlight us...

I have attached a pic in my first post...

Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Kostas, did you by any chance do a 100-200 in the stock car before upgrading to APR? Just curious what the stock car would do roughly. I've heard it's around 8.5sec

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
If he hasn't I'm sure he could just flip it back into stock real quick and do a run.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Hello again,
Well after selling my black/black manual 2008 997tt a couple of months ago and after looking around to see where I would go next, I ended up again with a 2009 grey/grey manual 2009 997tt with only 8000miles on the clock, which was in a brand new condition. The car was bought new last year from a friend of mine as a present to his wife and was completely stock and unmolested as you can expect...

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase, but I could not stand being stock for very long so I thought this time around to try a small different approach... Instead of having in the back of my head upgraded turbos etc I decided to simply flash the car with the APR flash (which I had also demoed in my last car and was stunned with the results last year) and later slap on a better exhaust and be done with it... I love the convenience the switching on the fly the cruise control offers and the added resale value apart fom the exceptional performance!
In my experience in buying/selling Porsches the crowd that is interested (at least here) does not want a heavily tuned car and even a flash possibly sets them off... From this point of view the APR convenience will make them think twice before turning down the car (vtg's etc are simply not for the market here)... Another issue is the warranty ofcourse which I do not want to lose (and I don't with a flash/exhaust combo)!

So after carefully considering all of this I ended up with this flash... (pls do not forget that in my last car I tried many many different tunes)

In my first test on an otherwise completely stock car using always and only premium pump gas on the "race setting" (the good one) I can see constantly 6.2-6.4secs 100-200km/h with ambient temps of about 27C.

That is pretty ok considering I did not have much adaptation milage (not more than 10 miles) and i expect to get faster when I throw on the exhaust!

On the technical side I could not resist ofcourse hooking up the durametric and finally putting to rest the much debated issue of boost. So to cut a long story short car in the pump setting (your 95 oct) has a boost of 1.3 bar which slowly falls to 1.15-1.1 after 5000 rpm and holds it to the stock redline and a boost of 1.4 bar falling to 1.25-1.2 after 5000 and holding it to redline in the "race setting" (your 100oct)!

That is completely ok in my book and on par with my past experience/feeling (I had not logged it then) with this flash and on par with other tunes around... ofcourse the dash never shows more than 1 bar neither in normal nor sport mode, but this is again normal since all flashes that boosted more than 1.2 bar in let's say normal mode actually showed 1 bar as well in tha dash of my previous car as well. This means that APR has simply turned off perhaps the 1.2 bar reading from sport mode and reads the max normal mode reading of 1 bar no matter what.

Before you go on and bash Skandalis who has rumbled on for what seemed to be forever and defended his 1 bar claims I called him up (since we are good friends) and told him about my findings... He was stunned and could not believe it... He took me for a ride and indeed his durametric software in his computer verified his claims... I smelled a rat and I hooked up my laptop with the new durametric software (at least newest version that the one Dimitris used) and boom!!! That was it...

I will perform more tests as the wheather cools down a bit and report back here for sure in the future.

One thing I will not be able to do as it appears is to compete one more time in the 60-130mph list however, as I have kept the stock rev limiter of 6750rpm and in a manual car that translates to max 204 km/h (126mph) in 4th as I have seen and would have to change into 5th thus killing my time
But I will do my best to break into mid 5's 100-200km/h!

Sorry for the long post - I would be happy to answer any question (if I can ofcourse) and I would also like to thank Matt for all his help.
Are u using same Skandalis pumpgas??

Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
tclayj is infamous around these parts
Help me out here.

always and only premium pump gas on the "race setting" (the good one)

Is this 100 octane or 93 ? You spoke of runs in the " pump " setting and " race " mode. Did you use the same fuel grade for both runs ?

It is my understanding that in " race " mode only 100 or higher octane is to be used.

ps- in time you will need a SACHS 2.5

Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
I think it doesn't matter if both Skandalis and maxsex343 use same flash and pumpgas!!

3 years ago 2 turkish members ( whitenight and salih i guess ) has stage2 from FVD and it ran 100-200kmh on 6.55sec which ran as fast as modded vtg's cars on that time...The main reason thet they ran FAST coz thier tune is damn good for thier pumpgas.

Whitenight thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-results.html

I remember many members dont believe them on that time ( im one of them lol )

In same time The funny thing is that other members with FVD didn't get same results and recently we got K24F from France got a bad results with stage3 kit (modded vtg's ) from FVD also..He ran 100-200kmh in 6.7sec

It is all depends on flash and pumpgas!!!!!!!

lets stop that drama

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Kostas, did you by any chance do a 100-200 in the stock car before upgrading to APR? Just curious what the stock car would do roughly. I've heard it's around 8.5sec
That is correct it was around 8.3 to 8.5sec... so you are right on the money there...

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by tclayj
Help me out here.

always and only premium pump gas on the "race setting" (the good one)

Is this 100 octane or 93 ? You spoke of runs in the " pump " setting and " race " mode. Did you use the same fuel grade for both runs ?

It is my understanding that in " race " mode only 100 or higher octane is to be used.

ps- in time you will need a SACHS 2.5
As has been explained before we have here premium unleaded gas labeled as 100RON (equivalent to let's say 95 usa rating, although I really believe that it is closer to 93) and that is all I ever put in the tank. I have the car running in "race" setting with these great results using ONLY this gas so far... In time I might try to test it with some MS109 and see the difference just for sake of argument...

On the clutch issue believe me I know and am pretty aware of the situation from my last 2 99.tt's... When the time comes i wil be ready...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.