997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fried my DME today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Did you try disconnecting the battery and let it sit for 10 min or so and then reconnect?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TTdude
Did you try disconnecting the battery and let it sit for 10 min or so and then reconnect?
I did. Still no response from DME. It just goes crazy all by itself.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
OBD flashing has this disadvantage...If power fails during programming (at the laptop or at the car) fans stay on,can bus between ECUs is lost and the car of course does not start...Some OBD devices have a reliable recovery function,some dont...Try to do the whole process again,AFTER YOU LET THE CAR AT IGNITION ON FOR ABOUT 15MINUTES...Let it there for some time and try to program it again...If it fails,it is very easy for Todd (since he has your original file) to desolder your memory chip and write the whole OEM file via a chip programmer...Then you will start again your car and retune it...Just have in mind tha DME does not fry that easy...Its just an uncomplete file written into your memory that prevents you from starting the car...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Thanks ! I am going to try the recovery thing tomorrow as well as reflash it and see if it works. Otherwise I will over night it to Todd in the afternoon.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Just remember to plug external power to the car and to your laptop...And let the car stay with ignition on for 15minutes before you do anything...Try to reprogram it,not to recover it...

Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Got it! Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Abby997TT
Got it! Thanks
Pull the battery for one hour, then connect the durametric cable and run the durametric software for a couple of minutes! Then shut down the durametric software and open the flash client and try to upload the STOCK file (stock as in OEM stock) that you had originally pulled from the ECU and that you must have kept in there somewehere...

99% chance is that this will work and then once you start the car you can proceeed and upload whatever file you wish with the flash client...

Been there done that...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Believe it or not... this is one of the last things you want to do when you loose connection while flashing.

When you start a flash, you put the ecu in a development state. Often times when a flash fails the ecu remains in this state and can be reconnected to with a little work. Removing battery power will "reboot" for lack of a better term and can cause problems with recovery/reconnection.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Ah yes...but at least the fridge will still serve you

albeit warm...
lol, you have the best pics!

Abby sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll be up and running asap

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Believe it or not... this is one of the last things you want to do when you loose connection while flashing.

When you start a flash, you put the ecu in a development state. Often times when a flash fails the ecu remains in this state and can be reconnected to with a little work. Removing battery power will "reboot" for lack of a better term and can cause problems with recovery/reconnection.
A last resort (possibly) but that's where he was. By rebooting, it suggests his EPROM chip is corrupted vs CPU freeze.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
Just an update: I tried every single option today in the afternoon and still couldn't get my DME to flash. Since it's a little late for me to ship it to Todd today and for him to have it tomorrow morning. I am going to give it a few more tries tonight and pull the DME tonight and send it out first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had the same thing, exactly, I pm'd you how to fix it, none of the tricks others suggested worked for me. The farnbacherloles guys (aka manhattan motorsports) figured it out for me after a lot of tedious work, refllashing won't work either. the ecu has to essentially be rewritten to all the factory maps and parameters, only available from porsche and only with special equipment. BTW, a new ecu runs about 1400 USD here, not sure about canada.
Feel free to pm me.
c

Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I had the same thing, exactly, I pm'd you how to fix it, none of the tricks others suggested worked for me. The farnbacherloles guys (aka manhattan motorsports) figured it out for me after a lot of tedious work, refllashing won't work either. the ecu has to essentially be rewritten to all the factory maps and parameters, only available from porsche and only with special equipment. BTW, a new ecu runs about 1400 USD here, not sure about canada.
Feel free to pm me.
c

This is one way for sure. Most tuners would be able to recover this ecu as well!

The 997 is a tough dme to recover if it is bricked while flashing the processor memory. There is 1 meg of memory that can only be flash written and 1 meg that's on a surface mount flash rom (solder). Ive acutally seen DME's that have failed writing the processor memory that the dealer/porsche hasn't been able to recover but we could.

Good luck to the original poster. This should be able to be recovered on the bench with out too much trouble.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Are you able to get vin recognition? If not get Todd to unlock the dura cable to the master mode. This should be recoverable although it will take a lt of perseverance, a proper LAN connection, a nice fast processor, perfect battery and computer plugged in to socket power. Everything really needs to be working for you 100 percent every time you do a file change or disaster can happen but don't give up, you can fix this. Todd will be able to walk you through the procedure.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys! The cable can not log in with the DME, I guess I messed up the vin# part on the flash according to Todd K. The DME goes to Todd today and he can get it recovered in bootmode.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fried my DME today