997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

motortrend video: ZR1 VS 997.2 TURBO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Jim Campbell is infamous around these parts
Any one else surprised at how much faster the Zr1 was around the track? I would have expected it to be quicker but not by 3 seconds!

Ta

Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
Any one else surprised at how much faster the Zr1 was around the track? I would have expected it to be quicker but not by 3 seconds!

Ta

I'm assuming the ZR1's 60-130 times are much faster given the power:weight advantage. The host driver also stated that the gearing was in the ZR1's favor on that track. Less shifts = quicker times when all else is essentially equal.

I know I'm gonna get flack for saying this but I swear my '05 CTS-V felt more balanced around corners than my 997TT. I'm not saying it was quicker around the corners, just left me feeling more confident. Then again, I've only had the 911 for 6 weeks now and my cornering experience so far is only limited to on and off ramps. I tracked the Caddy in about 5 HPDE track days.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
This is what a road/ track test should be, line them up same day same driver same track. I've tracked turbo porsches for years at Willow and no question it's a hp track and it's no secret that the key for fast times is turns 5 through 8. Turn 8 exposes the porsche's weakness, with the rear weight bias wants to take you east. You need a lota wing in the porsche to overcome the physics. But almost 4 seconds a lifetime in road racing.
I was disappointed in the porsche not being able to do the mile as I would of thought that the ZR1 to be less reliable in a track setting. The ZR1 was spot on to what I've seen them run at the Mojave Mile. I don't think this will change any porsche owner mind into buying a Vett.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
Predictable result for sure, but really too bad they had mechanical issues with the Pcar!?!?!

As a track car, it'd be hard to argue against the virtues of the ZR1 and it's lightweight chasis. You could spend a bit of money on race seats, maybe cage and belts and have a really enjoyable beast. Having owned a couple Z06s recently I can say however that personally as soon as I left the track I always had to live with this second rate feeling of the interior, the crappy fit and finish, and the "perceived" reputation that comes along with vette ownership. It also just feels (looks?) like the bigger less sporty car if that makes sense, and there are some angles where it just plain struggles in the looks department - especially as compared to some of the more exotic / euro offerings in the price range.

On the flip side I do totally agree that the shorter gearing in the Turbo is at times a hinderance as compared to the vette. Certainly took me a while to get used to going from the Chev to the Porsche. Even in just spirited acceleration.

The point about them probably trying to keep the price range somewhat similar between the two vehicles is valid, but we all know that a factory Turbo is going to have the floatiest and least track oriented suspension set up of any 911. It's no surprise that a professional driver would struggle a bit with the confidence it inspires.

A GT2 or GT2 RS with weight to power ratios of approx 6.0 and 4.9 respectively would be interesting to see compared independently in the same manner as this against the ZR1 and its ratio of 5.4.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
DarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to all
imagine if that was a PDK, would of been another 2 cars on the ZR1

Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
what track was that at??? Only 126mph trap speed on a ZR1 is funny as heck...it should be trapping a minimum of 4 mph faster than that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOqqfGtqHo

Last edited by TAILWAG; 09-21-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added video
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
That vid shows an excellent launch for the ZR1.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
BOTH turbos failed...on a brand new P car. Kind of embarassing. How does that happen?
Jim

Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
That vid shows an excellent launch for the ZR1.
..and MIR in december

Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
quattrogeek is infamous around these parts
Motor Trend picked the top of the food chain in the Chevy lineup, yet they failed to extend the same courtesy to Porsche, which is understandable considering the price point. However, i'm wondering if the PDK equipped turbo would have been a better choice, since the premium in price isn't out of reach for anyone cross shopping a ZR1? Im sure the PDK car would have erased the 3 or 4 second gap the ZR1 puts on the manual turbo around the track.

ZR1 is a car with a great engine/chassis, however too bad about that interior, far to stripped down for anything costing over 100k.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Interesting match up. ZR1 beats the 997 GT2 in the 1/4 mile and it's interesting how the 997.2tt is quicker in the 1/4 mile. I bet if you put Ranger in the ZR1 you would see a much different result

Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
BOTH turbos failed ??? This seems way past odd. Anybody able to confirm this most curious event ?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by art4iza
Interesting match up. ZR1 beats the 997 GT2 in the 1/4 mile and it's interesting how the 997.2tt is quicker in the 1/4 mile. I bet if you put Ranger in the ZR1 you would see a much different result
I bet Ranger could shave time in the 997.2 TT as well.

Actually I would like to see ranger in a 6 speed 997TT against a PDK.

Last edited by TXTurbo; 09-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Results as expected.
The TT isn`t a track weapon, it is Porsche´s allround weapon.
The GT2 RS would spank the ZR-1 really badly on the track.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
You can't beat basic physics. The ZR1 is going to be faster. It has a longer WB, 138 more HP and more balanced weight distribution. I think the only car that could beat the ZR1 at Willow is the GT2 RS and that too in a professional driver's hand. For us mere mortals the ZR1 is going to be faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: motortrend video: ZR1 VS 997.2 TURBO