997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

For those running MAFLess on Stock Airbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Im going to be very blunt... Your incorrect on all points.

Yes, me7.8 has a map sensor... but is NOT used with load calculation in anyway shape or form.

Yes there are me7.x based ecus that can run map only for load caculation (2.5l vw rabbit for example), but the 997tt isnt one of them.
I think his point was that if the maf sensor is in place then it is not used in load calculation. But if the maf sensor is removed then the 997t dme is capable of using map in load determination.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
You would think this is the way it works, but its not. With out the maf load is greatly based on rpm and alpha-n.

It works "well" on the 997tt because of closed loop fueling to redline and speedy knock control.
Are you sure about this and not speed density? Have you done a mafless tune on a 997TT? Alpha-N tunes would be pretty risky unless for a very specific application, like drag racing. The new 997.2TT does not use MAF. I don't know what they use for load but I would bet they are using MAP and speed density, not alpha-n.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
So if you're using alpha-n, it's one specific set of maps based on rpm and throttle position. At WOT, things are pretty constant so you can set timing, fuel, etc...OK fine. However, alpha-n tunes do not take in consideration IATs. So what about non-wot situations, everyday driving? How do you tune for that? Do you have a summer tune vs a winter tune? As you know, there are many Proto cars running around with mafless tunes. Are you saying they are all alpha-n?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Alpha-n on load calculation for certain parts of the DME. Keep in mind fueling is done through a wideband PID and timing is close loop with knock control. This is the only reason that maf-less works as well as it does on these cars.
I would be very worried to run a tune that relies so heavily on knock sensors and wideband PID to constantly set timing and fuel. MAP pressure is also not taken into consideration with a pure alpha-n tune. Most alpha-n tunes, say in drag racing, run open loop. I just don't see how the rapid dynamic adjustments to timing and fuel could keep up in an efficient manner in a closed loop system that is running on alpha-n. This type of situation would be constantly increasing timing and then pulling timing. Same with fuel.

I'm not trying to discredit any other tuners theories. Its just important to know thats not how these DME's were designed to run. You are basically taking away the heart of the system.
Agreed. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I run mafless tune since summer with no problems, is it unsafe for the engine?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by milou
I run mafless tune since summer with no problems, is it unsafe for the engine?
Ask Proto what type of tune you are running for mafless, Speed-Density or Alpha-N. He wouldn't give you an unsafe tune.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
kelesha is infamous around these partskelesha is infamous around these parts
Im going to be very blunt... Your incorrect on all points.

Yes, me7.8 has a map sensor... but is NOT used with load calculation in anyway shape or form.

Yes there are me7.x based ecus that can run map only for load caculation (2.5l vw rabbit for example), but the 997tt isnt one of them.
Tony, I am correct you can trust me like i wrote you every turbo car equiped with ME7 ecu(include Porsches) can run with MAP sensor based load calculation, problem is to "teach" ecu to done that
And properly made mafless tune is a lot more safety for engine than normal tune on car with faulty or dirty MAF

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
kelesha is infamous around these partskelesha is infamous around these parts
You are teaching the ecu load correction....not calculation. 2 very different things.
With correct software inside ECU if the MAF is unpluged then its calculation and not correction, in same time load correction is from other factors like temperatures, altitude and etc...

Take a stock car... unmodified. Do a 3rd gear pull with the maf, and with out the maf. Then without the maf again and raise boost 1-2 psi.
It will become clear then.
The way you explain dont work true mafless, like i already wrote mafless tune is something different, its to tell ME7 to calculate load without MAF sensor but with MAP still conected, if you disconnect MAP too, then that complete different story and its something similar like to run stock car with stock ECU with MAF unpluged

Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Take a stock car... unmodified. Do a 3rd gear pull with the maf, and with out the maf. Then without the maf again and raise boost 1-2 psi.

It will become clear then.
If you do this, my prediction is the car will run fine the first time without the maf and then struggle a bit when you raise the boost (no maf). If you do this repeatedly the ecu will "learn" the new boost level and you would be good to go thereafter.