997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

For those running MAFLess on Stock Airbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
For those running MAFLess on Stock Airbox

I decided to take out my MAF's completely since I run a MAFless tune and help
with the airflow on stock airbox and stock turbo inlet piping.

The throttle response seems better and butt dyno tells me car pulls harder.

Taking out any restriction in the airflow should only help car breath better.

I had 2 plastic pipes fabricated by a local fabricator, pictures attached.

Attached Images    

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 09-25-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Todd K mafless tune is AWESOME!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx

The throttle response seems better and butt dyno tells me car pulls harder.

Taking out any restriction in the airflow should only help car breath better.

I had 2 plastic pipes fabricated by a local fabricator, pictures attached.
Nice fab work. How is the point of restriction determined? With vtgs, I wouldn't think it would be the maf meter but what do I know. Do you have any performance times, 100-200 km/h or 60-130 mph? It would be interesting to see what the e85 tune lays down compared to race gas.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
What is a 'MAFless' tune and what is the benefit?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have a PBOX hope to get one soon and time myself.

Originally Posted by TTdude
Nice fab work. How is the point of restriction determined? With vtgs, I wouldn't think it would be the maf meter but what do I know. Do you have any performance times, 100-200 km/h or 60-130 mph? It would be interesting to see what the e85 tune lays down compared to race gas.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Advantages

By changing the engine from MAF mode to MAFless/MAP mode, vehicle modifiers claim two advantages:
The MAF may pose a physical restriction across the vehicle's intake tract, thereby reducing airflow into the engine. By removing the MAF this restriction is eliminated, potentially improving engine performance.
By moving the airflow measurement sensor from the intake plumbing to a point closer to the cylinders, the time lag from air moving past the sensor to reaching the cylinder can be reduced, thereby improving throttle response.

Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
What is a 'MAFless' tune and what is the benefit?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:12 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Are you running a speed density/N-alpha tune or combination of both?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM
That Todd would know, only thing is if MAF is plugged it defaults to MAF tune unplugged goes into MAFless tune no CEL showup.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 AM
That's pretty cool. You will need to optimize your SD tune with your different components as SD tunes are much more specific for the mods you have on your car compared to MAF tunes. Once you get yourself a Pbox you will be able to assess gains/losses. Sounds like your having fun!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
When i dynoed my 996TT a year and a half ago,at the first pass it showed 572AWHP (mustang)...During fine tuning the maf went off...and so i repeated dyno with maf not operating...and guess what...575AWHP...so it doesnt make a difference at WOT whether you have a maf or not...the differences were in idle and part throttle where the car just couldnt operate proper...but at WOT it didnt play a role...
996/997 engines have both,maf and map in order to have precise measures of any conditions...Almost any other turbo engine has only one of these sensors...So if one fails the car can operate with the other...without any major issue...
997 has two mafs and that is the reason why we dont failures such as 996TT...air flow is seperated and divided by two and maf output voltage stays well below failure limit...

Old 09-25-2010, 07:07 AM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
well this all explains why my tuner (who is currently doing a proto build) took pics of the MAFs removed from my car...

Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
i did some testing 4 todd ova a year ago and the car def spools faster and is smoother without mafs and no cel

Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting! great info. on this thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Technically neither... Basically there is no true way to measue load, it's cacutaled with throttle position as one of many inputs but load is the same if your running 1 bar or 2 bar.... kind of a scary thought.

Basically the only reason this "works", is because of the dual bank wide band fuel control.

Far from optimal, but we've done the same thing on other makes in the past.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Geez, I wish I knew what you all are talking about. It sounds interesting but I don't have a clue as to what's going on and whether it's good or not so good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those running MAFLess on Stock Airbox