997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Camshaft needs replacement anyone else ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Camshaft needs replacement anyone else ?

This started with a persistent cell light the code reads P0021 cam bank 2 , over advanced error,they replaced both cam sensors but light came back on.Now they'er replacing the whole camshaft & it's been at the dealer for 3 weeks supposed to be ready this week,all covered under warranty.Dealer said they have done several Todd at Protomotive told me he knows of many also,so i guess its happening quite a bit.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:07 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
I had this code as well...The dealer said all they did was reset it...I haven't had it come back on yet, but really haven't driven the car...They told me they've fixed several as well with either sensors or new cams...I wonder what the price is if you were out of warranty...

Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skeeter
I had this code as well...The dealer said all they did was reset it...I haven't had it come back on yet, but really haven't driven the car...They told me they've fixed several as well with either sensors or new cams...I wonder what the price is if you were out of warranty...
Had my tuner reset it once & it came back on right away, then i had the dealer look at it & they reset it & it took a couple of spirited drives to come back on ,but def noticed a difference when it was on like it was holding back a bit.Next dealer visit they did the sensor & it came back on before i even got home,hence the cam replacement this visit.I'm guessing pretty expensive & glad it happened now as i'm off of warranty April.

Last edited by twturbo; 09-26-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Jonnydeep83 is infamous around these parts
Had same problem, covered under warranty. replacing the cam fixed the problem for me. That was roughly 23k miles ago. No problems w/ the cam or the sensor since. If i remember correctly the root cause it had something to do w/ a piece blocking oil flow inside the cam shaft causing it to get stuck in an over advanced position. It did take them 3-4 weeks to fix though. a week to diag, a week to get the parts, a week to put humpy back together again and then they insist on test driving the car for something like 100 miles before giving it back to you.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
so porsche did fix it even though the car is modded ?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-3076r.html

Here's a link with pictures of somebody that had their's replaced...He said he paid out of pocket since the dealer denied his claim since it was mod'd...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Jonnydeep83 is infamous around these parts
My car was unmodded but the final bill on the warranty claim ended up being around $10k. IMO for that kind of money, if they deny your claim you should consider getting a lawyer involved since it is clearly a "known issue" and has happened to a number of unmodded cars.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm at a "mod friendly dealer" who told me it's all covered under warranty & glad to here i'm not alone on this one ,had the same kinda power loss as keitha described in his post & glad to hear there's no problems afterwards i'm at 20 k miles .

Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
does this effect a certain year or specific vin?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM
misdeismo is infamous around these parts
Hmmm, interesting problem. If the issue is related to oiling, would just replacing the camshaft be enough? Is it buildup of carbon deposits causing the blockage?

On a side note, damn a 100 mile test drive period? I don't know if I could let them do that lol.

Last edited by misdeismo; 09-27-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: incorrect terminology used
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
I'm at a "mod friendly dealer" who told me it's all covered under warranty & glad to here i'm not alone on this one ,had the same kinda power loss as keitha described in his post & glad to hear there's no problems afterwards i'm at 20 k miles .
Good for you that your dealer is mod-friendly. So is the new camshaft a different design? I wonder in a few years whether there will be a whole slew of failures. Best wishes with your fix.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same prob it was coverd under warr even with modded car. if u make enough noise they will here u. there is a sleeve that is pressed into end of cam that turns and blocks oil passage .the job took a week and no problem since its been a year

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
ehh, I hate hearing about problems like these, just stinks, especially if they dont take care of the problem under warranty. Glad you all had yours fixed with no out of pocket expense.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
kithta faced the same prob ..
and i dont advice u to buy the same OEM ones if u goin to spend money and buy ... buy the GT3 ones

Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
kithta faced the same prob ..
and i dont advice u to buy the same OEM ones if u goin to spend money and buy ... buy the GT3 ones
Has anyone upgraded to the GT3 Cam shaft have any input?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camshaft needs replacement anyone else ?