997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

bilstein pss 10's on 2010 tt question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
bnahm is infamous around these parts
bilstein pss 10's on 2010 tt question

I just installed the pss 10's and set them for soft. I cannot tell any difference when sport mode is on or off with firmness of ride. before, with sport mode, there was quite a difference in the firmness of the ride. Not so now. With the sport mode on or off, the ride feels soft. Anyone else notice this and if so, why?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
You sure you fitted and correctly connected the PASM compatible version?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the PSS 10 has manually adjustable damping and rebound but is not compatible with the PASM system. The Damptronic version is compatible but does not have the manual adjustments.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I believe the PSS 10 has manually adjustable damping and rebound but is not compatible with the PASM system. The Damptronic version is compatible but does not have the manual adjustments.
I thought the PSS10 was the Damptronic and the manually adjustable version is the B16?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
From the Bilstein website:

The Bilstein B16 DampTronic® kit is designed to integrate directly with the exclusive Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system. This coilover system of monotube shock absorbers has been fine-tuned to produce the finest performance possible from the car's electronically controlled suspension module. The threaded body additionally allows for adjustable lowered vehicle ride height of 30mm to 50mm. Bilstein's patented Triple-C-Technology® coating ensures long-lasting resistance to corrosion.

The Bilstein B16 PSS9/10 kit is a race inspired system, providing the ultimate in high performance tuning. The manually adjustable monotube gas shock absorbers feature 9 or 10-stage precise compressiong and rebound settings, from comfort to competition. The threaded body allows accurate adjustablity of the front and rear progressive springs to achieve the vehicle ride height (30mm to 50mm), center of gravity and level of performance handling desired. Bilstein's patented Triple-C-Technology® coating ensures long-lasting resistance to corrosion.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:34 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I see. I had them reversed..

Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bnahm
I just installed the pss 10's and set them for soft. I cannot tell any difference when sport mode is on or off with firmness of ride. before, with sport mode, there was quite a difference in the firmness of the ride. Not so now. With the sport mode on or off, the ride feels soft. Anyone else notice this and if so, why?
I do not have any experience with 997.2 Turbo, but here's what my experience is with the 997.1 Turbo:
Yes the difference between Sport and Normal is a lot more subtle with Bilstein than with the stock coilover (also made by Bilstein btw, just a cheaper, less advanced version). In fact the first few times I drove my Bilstein Turbo, like you, I thought that there was no difference at all! But with time/familiarity and if you take the car out to some very twisty mountain roads and switch back and forth, you would/should be able to tell easily. BTW, the correct names as mentioned above are B16 Damptronic for PASM version, and B16 PSS10 for the non PASM version.

There is an explanation for this:
In stock 997.1 Turbo, the spring rate is soft, to compensate, they vary the dampening rate **A LOT** to achieve desireable stiffness in sport mode (sky high dampening rate is my bet). This is not necessarily a good thing.
In Bilstein Turbo, the spring rate is stiffer, so the dampening rates of the 2 modes are more moderate and the values are closer to each other -- this is why it's hard to tell the difference between the 2 modes.
In stock 997.2 Turbo, Porsche recognizes the mistake of 997.1 and did stiffen the spring. The 997.2 Turbo indeed felt stiffer and better than 997.1 Turbo (but still not as good as Bilstein IMHO).

BTW, here are the spring rates:
Stock 997.1 Turbo:
Front: 206
Rear: 457 Linear
Stock 997.2 Turbo:
Front: 206
Rear: 514 Progressive (342 initial, 514 final)
Bilstein Damptronic for 997 Turbo:
Front: 340 Linear
Rear: 565 Linear
Helper springs 115 front, 145 rear (don't count towards rate).

Last edited by cannga; 09-29-2010 at 11:34 AM.