997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

sport chrono clock replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Looking good. Is the swivel function built into the housing or the chrono itself?
yes , all is functional and looks as oem, the chrono clck was replaced with the plx gauge in the oem bezel

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bonehead
Looks good. But still a bit confused as to how you wired it to your OBD port/fuse box for power? And if I understand correctly, you just tucked the sport chrono clock into the hole in the dash and put the wart right on top of it?
i havent figured out the permanent power yet, i as i was testing it before final inatall, the obd cable is separate and plugs in the obd por at all times. as far as the clock goes its tucked in the dash wart hole , please look at on of the pics , you will see a white packing wrap in the whole

Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
yes , all is functional and looks as oem, the chrono clck was replaced with the plx gauge in the oem bezel
So can you swivel the plx just like the original chrono? Very nice looking job.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
So can you swivel the plx just like the original chrono? Very nice looking job.
yes sir it swivels just like the original chrono, because all the facia and bezel are re used in this method, and only the actual clock is swapped out, there are 4 set screws that hold the clock in the bezel, the clock is wrapped up and tucked in to the cavity in the dash hole so all the chrono functions still work as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
yes sir it swivels just like the original chrono, because all the facia and bezel are re used in this method, and only the actual clock is swapped out, there are 4 set screws that hold the clock in the bezel, the clock is wrapped up and tucked in to the cavity in the dash hole so all the chrono functions still work as well.
Outstanding. I'll have to give this some serious consideration. Thanks for the write-up and answering questions.

If I haven't rep'ed you already for this, you got one coming.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Outstanding. I'll have to give this some serious consideration. Thanks for the write-up and answering questions.

If I haven't rep'ed you already for this, you got one coming.
no problem at all, i will put a video and some dyi pointers, it is pretty straight forward actually.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
sorry - i have to ask, what is that thing?
It's an after market individually configurable electronic automotive gauge. If you go to PLXdevices .com you can see exactly what it can be configured for.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
ok, here are couple videos i took of the display installed and working, i matched the boot up screen to look like the nav screen , looks pretty close as oem, and the gauge back ground as turbo. the videos are not as good as it was taken with a droid, but as you can see this a good tool to keep an eye on things on the fly , especially with a tune. i wanted to do this before the tune. you can see the IAT rise as the boost goes up and if you let the car idle after a run, egt as well . I still havent figured out a permanent power installation as i have to put a uhf filter as the unit is generating some noise in the fm band except for that i am pretty satisfied for 335 $

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYjpKYGl0c

Last edited by cgng30; 10-08-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Upload to youtube and link is the best way.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by dma550
Upload to youtube and link is the best way.
thanks that worked, why didnt i think of that

Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
classsss really cool bro ...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! thanks for the video. How is the boost peak/hold ? I know it's probably not as accurate as a manifold pressure sensor, but I'm tired of watching numbers while I'm flooring it!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Nice! thanks for the video. How is the boost peak/hold ? I know it's probably not as accurate as a manifold pressure sensor, but I'm tired of watching numbers while I'm flooring it!
i am not monitoring boost on the gauge as i did not install a boost sensor , i am using the factory boost meter. i am monitoring , ait, timing, lambda and egt, sorry if i was not clear. the factory boost is good enough for me

Last edited by cgng30; 10-09-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Hmm... but isn't boost available through the bus? I know you could add a sensor for accurate boost, but I thought the bus carries boost and would be accessible through the gauge, and plottable on a graph, no?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm... but isn't boost available through the bus? I know you could add a sensor for accurate boost, but I thought the bus carries boost and would be accessible through the gauge, and plottable on a graph, no?
you are absolutely correct, except boost is not part of the OBD II bus, please read my previous post as i said i have not installed any additional boost sensor etc, i am just monitoring obd II sensors, hope this clears it up,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: sport chrono clock replacement