997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Raise the height of GT2 seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 AM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
Raise the height of GT2 seats

Is there any way to raise the height of GT2 seats. Is there some way to put a plate/spacer under the rails? I would be more comfortable with about a half inch of increased height and it seems that it would be a simple process to do this but 'don't want to re-invent the wheel'

Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Can you add more padding to the seat cushions?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Il nino, I've got the same challenge but am making some progress with some personal mods. To get more of a vertical driving position (similar to driving a shifted kart, where the shoulders are well-supported and you can see well over the wheel and fenders, which helps your perception of the car rotating on it's axis), I've put some heavy foam between the bottom of the seat back and the top of the base. I made some templates of the shape I needed then cut them out of very heavy foam i got at Home Depot (in the GT2 section). I colored them with black marker to make them blend in with the carbon fiber. It's working great. On the seat backs, i wasn't getting enough lumbar support and it was killing me. If you pull on the padding in the seats, you'll discover they are velcroed on the bottom to the seat. As a first attempt, i took some foam piping insultion (maybe 4" diameter) and spread it out. That makes it about 8" wide and probably about 3/8" thick. I then took about three of these and built up a piece that would give a contour that will fill the lumbar portion of my back. It isn't perfect yet, but it's one heck of a lot better than it was. I recently stopped by an auto upholstery shop and described the problem. The owner whacked off a large piece of seat foam and advised getting an electric carving knife (the kind your wife will miss when it comes Thanksgiving time cause you left it in the garage). These work great for this work - $12 @ Walmart (what else would you work on a $207k car with but a knife from Walmart?!?!). I am going to create a piece that follows the contour of my back, similar to the seats I have in my 2004 Subaru STI - they are great. I will keep the the original GT2 seat pads, but slip this contoured pad behind it to give me the support and comfort I need. I think you will be able to do the same on the seat base, to adjust the height. I almost went for a set of Adaptive Sport Seats, but I don't really want to add another 40 lbs. If i don't get the comfort i need, i'll reconsider. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 AM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your ideas. I was trying to keep the look of the seats and was trying to come up with a way to put a shim under the rail system on the floor. I am going to continue to research it and if I come up with something I will email it to you. My email is ilnino@aol.com so send me yours and I let you know if I find another solution.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 AM
griggsat is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sladep
Il nino, I've got the same challenge but am making some progress with some personal mods. To get more of a vertical driving position (similar to driving a shifted kart, where the shoulders are well-supported and you can see well over the wheel and fenders, which helps your perception of the car rotating on it's axis), I've put some heavy foam between the bottom of the seat back and the top of the base. I made some templates of the shape I needed then cut them out of very heavy foam i got at Home Depot (in the GT2 section). I colored them with black marker to make them blend in with the carbon fiber. It's working great. On the seat backs, i wasn't getting enough lumbar support and it was killing me. If you pull on the padding in the seats, you'll discover they are velcroed on the bottom to the seat. As a first attempt, i took some foam piping insultion (maybe 4" diameter) and spread it out. That makes it about 8" wide and probably about 3/8" thick. I then took about three of these and built up a piece that would give a contour that will fill the lumbar portion of my back. It isn't perfect yet, but it's one heck of a lot better than it was. I recently stopped by an auto upholstery shop and described the problem. The owner whacked off a large piece of seat foam and advised getting an electric carving knife (the kind your wife will miss when it comes Thanksgiving time cause you left it in the garage). These work great for this work - $12 @ Walmart (what else would you work on a $207k car with but a knife from Walmart?!?!). I am going to create a piece that follows the contour of my back, similar to the seats I have in my 2004 Subaru STI - they are great. I will keep the the original GT2 seat pads, but slip this contoured pad behind it to give me the support and comfort I need. I think you will be able to do the same on the seat base, to adjust the height. I almost went for a set of Adaptive Sport Seats, but I don't really want to add another 40 lbs. If i don't get the comfort i need, i'll reconsider. Hope this helps.
Thank you for this info! While if anything I need to lower my sitting position, extra lumbar support would be a huge relief! I guess I better hop in the Turbo and head to WalMart!