997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

7000 discount on 2011 Turbo S..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM
raidentech is infamous around these parts
Obviously from a financial stand point it's a huge mistake. But if money is no object, then it shouldn't be a discussion topic after all.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raidentech
Obviously from a financial stand point it's a huge mistake. But if money is no object, then it shouldn't be a discussion topic after all.
Money (cost) is a relevant topic (look at the title of the thread) .
Plus if the same 100K is up for discussion regarding his current car it could have enough added Hp to slam dunk a 997.2 tt S. It could also offer more interior upgrades , look better (opinion aerokit and wheels), and leave him with enough change in his pocket to buy another car.

In my opinion --the Turbo S would make more sense if he didn't already have a Turbo.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-06-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bryansdc@sbcglo
Will the TurboS hold it's value more then a regular turbo.How have the past Turbo S cars held up money wise. Also why are dealers not bargaining. Please give me so common sense advice...Thanks
yes & no.

yes, maybe a little better due to more options are standard on the S.

no, because if u justify the extra 100k spending, u'll never get that money back or even close to it.

would they hold better value let's say in 3 years? nope. just do a search on how many they are on the market now so u know u won't get $hit back when u want to sell it in few years. however, it's a monster like u said. it's the best performer on the market right now in the price range. if u know u gonna have fun & don't care about losing money, get it. otherwise, keep the Turbo u have now & wait for the next turbo.

as far as discount goes, i don't see why dealer is not willing to deal. maybe just not the right time but they're just playing game with u. it's still early in the month. if u really got to have the car, make them an offer. let's bet they'll call u back before the month ends.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM
idivethesea is infamous around these parts
Wow, thanks for this thread, I'm in the exact same position with the same intention, although my dealer says sticker for the S....says who!

I've been off the boards for a while and did not know the new turbo will be out in roughly two years. I'm going to wait as suggested.

You guys just saved me a 100K...for now

Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by -AW-
yes & no.

yes, maybe a little better due to more options are standard on the S.

no, because if u justify the extra 100k spending, u'll never get that money back or even close to it.

would they hold better value let's say in 3 years? nope. just do a search on how many they are on the market now so u know u won't get $hit back when u want to sell it in few years. however, it's a monster like u said. it's the best performer on the market right now in the price range. if u know u gonna have fun & don't care about losing money, get it. otherwise, keep the Turbo u have now & wait for the next turbo.

as far as discount goes, i don't see why dealer is not willing to deal. maybe just not the right time but they're just playing game with u. it's still early in the month. if u really got to have the car, make them an offer. let's bet they'll call u back before the month ends.
If you look at the 993 Turbo S it's worth more than new. The 996 Turbo S was really no different than a 996 Turbo X50 and the price reflects it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
bryansdc is infamous around these parts
So guessing from the feedback so far the upgrade is not worth 100,000 unless you can really afford it.I really wish I new if there was a huge difference in performance between the 2 cars...If it is only marginal then it really is a waste.How long before we can see some used 997 Turbo S's on the market.Maybe I should wait for that and try and find a clean one...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
So guessing from the feedback so far the upgrade is not worth 100,000 unless you can really afford it.I really wish I new if there was a huge difference in performance between the 2 cars...If it is only marginal then it really is a waste.How long before we can see some used 997 Turbo S's on the market.Maybe I should wait for that and try and find a clean one...
You can wait forever - there will always be something newer and better coming up. Buy what you want and can afford.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
There is a HUGE performance difference between the 997.1 TT and the 997.2 TT S. I have driven both and there is no comparison. there have also been videos posted of the 997.1 TT vs 997.2 TT pdk here on 6 speed- the pdk pulls away dramatically.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
It all depends on the hype of the new 998/991. If they hit a home run, or make everyone think they're going to, then it will take a big hit. Looking a Porsche's history, they have no intentions of moving backwards. They know exactly what they're doing. The next one will most likely kill this one, most likely in handling due to the near mid engine approach. The new body style/interior will be a major update. The 0-60/1/4 mile should be the same but the price will probably be lower than the current "S". This is what will drive the prices down on the current "S"s.

Plus, I don't care what they say, they won't quit delivering the current "S", or non "S" turbos, until the current market is satisfied. This new guy wants to move as many cars as he can. I do think it hold better for the next year, but if the above is true, then it will drop a lot upon that announcement. The same thing happened with the new Cayenne Turbo, made my '08 take a bath.

Plus, under the new regime, who's to say they won't release the new turbo earlier than expected? He says he wants to speed things up, that they're moving too slowly. They released all three versions of the new Cayenne at once didn't they?

Just keep in mind, not only does this current car represent unprecedented, almost unreasonable performance considering their model to model track record over the years, but also there's a new sheriff in town. Porsche is different now, who knows what's on the horizon...

If you have the money then go get it. I probably will. If you don't, but you're intoxicated by the specs, then sober up and hang tight. My bet is we haven't seen anything yet. Porsche has no choice but to trump this new car now that they've eaten their own lunch... Plus everyone else is going to be forced to catch up too. It's an exciting time in the car world. You'll be able to get this car used for a substantial savings if you wait a while.

Finally, don't underestimate the ability of your own car especially if you tune it. It's a very fast car with a very proven motor. Unless you're going to spend your life clocking it 0-60 you'll probably not know the difference of a few 10ths anyway. Heck my Ruf 550 would nearly make you **** your pants when you got on it and it was a 996 The 997.1 is a great platform and the tuners are just now really catching up to it.

Just my opinion. YMMMV.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 AM
bryansdc is infamous around these parts
I just want to Thank all you guys for responding to my thread.This is a GREAT forum and all of you have given me intelligent and truthful answers which makes my decision tougher...I really appreciate all the feedback even though i do not know what to do...

Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
I've driven both and yes there is a difference but I wouldn't call it HUGE when we're talking about 100k difference... That's a lot of money IF you have to go borrow it... Plus, you had better throw some serious maintenance monies in down line if you lunch those ceramic brakes, you're forced to have, dealing with that huge performance.

My bet is we'll be saying the same thing when the new one hits. Porsche has no choice but to make us do such or they'll be moving backwards, for the first time in history...

The OP is obviously trying to justify the huge upgrade at this point. 100k is a lot of money to **** away. I'm all for getting what you want, always have been, but I'm trying to stay within the context of the thread. If you have it, go do it. If you don't, and you're bored, it will take a LOT less money in the short run to put a smile on your face.

Yes there will always be something better however this car will be the first one really worth buying used. You really don't ever get sick of a stock car that does sub 3's and 10's in the 1/4 mile. Now how it holds up and whether or not people get sick of the mandatory PDK is yet to be seen... Both motor and tranny are very new to Porsche's world and untested in the long run especially with this kind of juice. If these cars start developing problems and/or Porsche changes the motor on the next ones then it will be like the stock market crashed in the resale department.

The 997.2 is not built on a proven platform. In fact it's a brand new platform/first year model in a lot of ways.

Last edited by Ted; 10-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
If you look at the 993 Turbo S it's worth more than new. The 996 Turbo S was really no different than a 996 Turbo X50 and the price reflects it.
the price on the 993 Turbo S is very artificial & only works for collector really. consider the amount it was built, i guess it qualifies the price tag for the collector crowd. i don't believe anyone would spend that much money on a 993 Turbo S to buy it to drive.

all i can see the 996 Turbo S was massively produced and the price reflects it. 997 Turbo S will be the same in few years. no difference.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by -AW-
the price on the 993 Turbo S is very artificial & only works for collector really. consider the amount it was built, i guess it qualifies the price tag for the collector crowd. i don't believe anyone would spend that much money on a 993 Turbo S to buy it to drive.

all i can see the 996 Turbo S was massively produced and the price reflects it. 997 Turbo S will be the same in few years. no difference.
The 993 Turbo S routinely sells for more than it did new. There is nothing artificial about it.

The 996 S had no performance edge over the Turbo X50. That's why the car sells for the same price as a 996 Turbo that's loaded up.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
The 993 Turbo S routinely sells for more than it did new. There is nothing artificial about it.

The 996 S had no performance edge over the Turbo X50. That's why the car sells for the same price as a 996 Turbo that's loaded up.
forget about performance. the buyer who consider buying the 993 Turbo S now is not going after the performance.

artificial meaning, will u spend $185,000.00 now buying a used 993 Turbo S? if not a collector. or u would rather spend $185,000 buying a loaded 997 Turbo S with discount? for driving purpose. sorry, it's not for average Joe to spend that money on a modern classic. i wouldn't.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
I would pay real money to know why Porsche always waits two years to roll out the TT model when they release a new 911? I mean crap man with the other model cars they always release the TTs at the same time!

The TTs is the best performing car in the price range? HELL!!! The TTs is the best performing car you can buy brand new, for street use, period! It's only a few tenths slower than the Bugatti 0 to 62 MPH and out performs, quite easily I might add, other cars costing over twice as much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7000 discount on 2011 Turbo S..