997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

7000 discount on 2011 Turbo S..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by simoncpj
funny folks are saying if he can afford the depreciation hit, then why is he worrying about getting the best deal possible. The reality is he is probably able to afford the depreciation hit because he is hardwired to get the best deal possible and to want the best for himself.

Simple equation, if the desire have the best and to recoup the depreciation hit results in recouping the loss by working harder for the next one, then you win (provided nothing else of higher priority - e.g. Family, wine, retirement - is sacrificed along the way). Buy the car, work harder, enjoy it.
+10

Old 10-10-2010, 01:31 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
All this criticism of the tts by 997.1 owners is starting to bore me....
+1

Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
rosenbergendo is infamous around these parts
Agreed!

I was offered and drove 2 997.1 modded with EVT and one with TPC upgrades. They reminding me of souped of Civics and Evos. The handling on 997.1's was in my opnion, horrible. I thought the cars were ok but kinda- meh. I have driven a 997.2 PDk and while I love shifting, that car is the real deal. I have seen vey few if any modded cars doing 0-60 in 2.7!!! I went a different direction and got a 2010 GT3, but wouldnt hesitate getting a 2010 or 11 TTS in a second.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simoncpj
Funny folks are saying if he can afford the depreciation hit, then why is he worrying about getting the best deal possible. The reality is he is probably able to afford the depreciation hit because he is hardwired to get the best deal possible and to want the best for himself.

Simple equation, if the desire have the best and to recoup the depreciation hit results in recouping the loss by working harder for the next one, then you win (provided nothing else of higher priority - e.g. family, wine, retirement - is sacrificed along the way). Buy the car, work harder, enjoy it.
So only he can define what "the best for himself " is yet he is asking us .
To me that reveals doubt .. and when in doubt I usually would say buy nothing and hang on to his savings.. Because he can always buy the car .. tomorrow --unless he buys the wrong car .. only to say that he spent 100K to confim that doubt. But heck .. education is expensive and it's easy for you to suggest it with his money .

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-10-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I was offered and drove 2 997.1 modded with EVT and one with TPC upgrades. They reminding me of souped of Civics and Evos. The handling on 997.1's was in my opnion, horrible. I thought the cars were ok but kinda- meh. I have driven a 997.2 PDk and while I love shifting, that car is the real deal. I have seen vey few if any modded cars doing 0-60 in 2.7!!! I went a different direction and got a 2010 GT3, but wouldnt hesitate getting a 2010 or 11 TTS in a second.
1) why is it that the 0-60 number is the benchmark ? I don't know why the figure even matters because who races to 60 and then stops ? It's not a competition race.

In my opinion the 0-60 number is a marketing strategy which caters to more of a juvenile street racer mentality than a mature driver . If the driver is a mature street driver he won't race on the street . If he's a driving competitor then that 0-60 is useless at the drag strip or 1 mile track events.

Lastly ... there are 997.1tt cars modded which can beat 2.7.

2) I agree with you that the 997.1 handling is not as good as the 997.2tt . Of course 100K can buy him a lot to improve that but it still won't matter . It won't even matter with the 997.2tt . None of these Turbo cars can handle in the precise manner of the Gt3 that you chose --just as the Gt3 would lose in a drag race or 1 mine event. They are different types of cars .
If handling would be what he's after .. the turbo is not the car in either case.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-10-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
All this criticism of the tts by 997.1 owners is starting to bore me....
I really like the new car . It's a fantastic machine. I just don't feel it's so good that it's worth losing on his trade and paying retail for new :
1) when he already has a Turbo and 2) when the 991 redesign is not far off.

I also feel that when a person has doubts about buying an almost 200K car he loses nothing by holding onto the savings until he is certain .

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I really like the new car . It's a fantastic machine. I just don't feel it's so good that it's worth losing on his trade and paying retail for new :
1) when he already has a Turbo and 2) when the 991 redesign is not far off.

I also feel that when a person has doubts about buying an almost 200K car he loses nothing by holding onto the savings until he is certain .
Could be true or could be that he is looking for justification. Buying any sport or luxury car is an emotional purchase no matter how you slice it. Because of this, one often looks to justify the decision. I realize this yet still look for the ok sign.

I would imagine that many asking questions have already decided on what they want to do but are just looking for someone else to say its ok. This is something you won't get from your boss.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Exactly, especially considering you could buy a lake house with the same funds The issue isn't whether the 997.1 is better than the .2, it is how much Porsche is getting for the new automatic transmission plus a little 50HP power bump, it's just hard for me to get my head around sometimes. Throw in the fact the increased vandalism is on the rise by jealous *******s around here, and the fact the roads just plain suck, makes me wonder if it's worth it. On the other hand you got to love the new package, pretty spectacular

Question, I just came across a new '11 white/blk cab, NON "S", well appointed, for a really good price. I've never driven a straight PDK Turbo, only the "S". Will I miss the power? The Cab being a bit more sluggish/heavy has me concerned without the extra ECU bump. I would also imagine this thing might get clobbered in the resale department down line with it's big brother sharing it's same release year with better options, albeit I could care less about ceramics... Thoughts?

Last edited by Ted; 10-11-2010 at 09:55 AM.