997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010 | 03:51 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
They are 600cell...Yes I asked about what other mods are needed in order to get advantage of stage 3 softronic flash...

Old 12-27-2010 | 04:05 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
To keep this thread on topic, please PM me or email me to discuss.

Old 12-27-2010 | 04:13 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Ok...So i should ask directly Scott the following question...Supposing my car is flashed with stage 2 softronic flash,which needs an exhaust to perform its best...If i add better ICs or remove my cats,does the DME fully adapts to new IATs and EGTs or new file is needed?(which might be called stage 3?)Also when switching between different fuels,why some tuners claim their flash fully adapts while others need to reflash the car and switch between files?

Old 12-27-2010 | 11:59 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
600? I believe they are 400. Can someone else confirm.
From Europipe's website:

"The stock 997.1 Turbo exhaust uses ø 118mm 600 cpsi catalytic convertors (cells per square inch)"

Old 12-28-2010 | 05:27 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a before and after dyno. Consider that a exhaust usually accounts for about 10-20whp. The stock exhaust with 400cell cats is a cork, so you will see more torque, but less topend. Still HUGE gains - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/proj...he-next-level/

Thanks but I was hoping to find dyno results for stock + tune only. This one seems to have an exhaust system.

Old 02-03-2011 | 02:02 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Softronic
I had looked at this once before and I believe the question was why one tune would hold the timing while the others did not? In a simple answer the Knock Sensors. These are desensitized so they do not react to the stock standards. Basically the same tune with them at factory would tend to pull the timing yet not if altered.
This thread a bit old now however this statement surprised me and I would like to understand it more from Scott.

The table being discussed (posted below) shows a run made at full load >180mph by a 7GT2 with >620HP if I am not mistaken.

Scott, you mentioned that this sort of timing stablity was due to a change in the sensitivity of the knock sensors if I understand it correctly. This raises two questions about the tuner..

1) The tuner in question would be someone who cannot be trusted by putting this engine at risk of detonation!

2) On the other hand it must take an amazing tuner to achieve such stability in AFRs, EGTs, IATs and timing, at such load levels, while achieving such acceleration rates, and without any knock activity..

So which one is it, what should we understand form this?

I honestly doubt modification to knock sensing is the right answer. In my opinion this is one hell of a tune, the engine seems to be extremely happy and relaxed while reaching those speeds with those times. in fact the bahaviour looks a lot like factory stock tuning..

Tuning by relying on knock sensing levels is obviously not right, true that the engine is somewhat protected so why not, however this will cause timing to be pulled back over and over again, and boost would be pulled back then, so the only way to keep performance going under such loads is bycompensating with alteration to boost, then EGTs and IATs would be all over the place, and it becomes a vicious circle.

I have no tech background, just typing this based on my logic.. Does it make any sense?

Is this really tuning resulting from modification of knock sensors?

Thanks

Old 02-03-2011 | 11:34 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
When scott said 'desensitized', he might have been referring to the whole process- not just sensing of the KS, but what the tune does in response to a sensed input.

I am guessing you can 'feather' the response and have a less dramatic response to a KS input. Hence still the same 'sensitivity' but less 'gain' on how the DME reacts.

The question of course is how much 'safe zone' is there between the factory tune and disaster.

Just typing based on even less knowledge...
A

Old 02-24-2011 | 11:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
I honestly doubt modification to knock sensing is the right answer.
+1 on that but there aren't many that think that way. Band aid central

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:38 PM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Really enjoyed reading this.

Does Scott has a direct email or contact number?

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:39 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Scott is out of town till Tuesday. You can direct any questions through us.

Last edited by vividracing; 02-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2011 | 02:43 PM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Scott is out of town till Tuesday. You can direct any Softronic questions through us.

It was regards to my question here:-
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3215636 (my last post in that thread)

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:44 PM
Former Vendor
He can respond when he is back

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:02 PM
He can respond when he is back

OK thanks, as long as I order by Tuesday will I still get the promotional price your doing? I just don't want to order until Scott has answered my question, thanks.

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
Cant guarantee when he will response. Special ends May 31

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:10 PM
Cant guarantee when he will response. Special ends May 31
Also do you have any better shipping options to the UK as your website was requesting £95 for shipping which seems rather steep for what is just a cable, can you do better deals on the shipping please?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts