997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:17 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
will respond in PM.

Old 05-26-2011 | 06:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Scott can you please explain why the over rev range counters register high range spikes when in fact the engine has never gone beyond the rev limiter nor been mis shifted on any down changes to cause an over rev spike. Are you aware of what can be done to correct the recording of these false over rev events? I'd like to know exactly what it is thats within the ECU that conflicts between the tune file and the counters that is causing this to occur. Are you able to elaborate?

Old 05-26-2011 | 10:16 PM
MrMan is infamous around these partsMrMan is infamous around these parts
I have a general question about the relationship between Porsche and tuners. Why is tuning so clandestine? I would think that if Porsche charged a fee to become an aftermarket partner or whatever you would call it, they could make very high margins providing support to all the tuners. Additionally, money could be made selling super-extended warranties that would allow owners to mod up without jeopardy. I am sure there are good business reasons why this is a bad idea for Porsche but I don't see what they are.

Old 05-26-2011 | 11:14 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrMan
I have a general question about the relationship between Porsche and tuners. Why is tuning so clandestine? I would think that if Porsche charged a fee to become an aftermarket partner or whatever you would call it, they could make very high margins providing support to all the tuners. Additionally, money could be made selling super-extended warranties that would allow owners to mod up without jeopardy. I am sure there are good business reasons why this is a bad idea for Porsche but I don't see what they are.
Let me count the ways....

First, anyone that knows anything will not share that with other tuners- it is their 'proprietary edge'... since what tuners do has no 'protection' (ie cannot be patented nor licensed) it is kept secret.

Second, Porsche will not let these secrets out for industrial competitive reasons (ie other applications)

thrid, Porsche would be legally 'on the hook' if they permit knowledge that allows mods to be performed. You can have all the disclaimers you want, people sue. Porsche has infinitely more to lose than ANY tuner.

Fourth, if porsche opened this up then tuners could get around their tamper codes, modification detection.

Finally, would you spend $20k for a 'super' extended warranty? If I was porsche and I had unlocked the DME to allow a tuner to grenade your motor at will, that's what I'd ask.

Old 05-27-2011 | 08:00 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Scott can you please explain why the over rev range counters register high range spikes when in fact the engine has never gone beyond the rev limiter nor been mis shifted on any down changes to cause an over rev spike. Are you aware of what can be done to correct the recording of these false over rev events? I'd like to know exactly what it is thats within the ECU that conflicts between the tune file and the counters that is causing this to occur. Are you able to elaborate?
My understanding (as limited as it is), is that once the RL has been raised or manipulated, all of the calibrations for over-revs 1-6 are thrown off. Hence, numerous false type 4,5,6 codes, when really it was a type 1 at best.

Old 05-27-2011 | 12:49 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrMan

No way is P going to do that, liability for sure, but emissions is such a huge deal in many countries around the world. Total crap IMNSHO. Most of the manufactures have taken steps to secure their engine computers from "tampering". Some very smart people that rightly so consider what they do "intellectual property" and with no protections are going to keep what they do top secret. That's not to say that other tuners can get a hold of a car with a competitors tune, download it and analyze what they did .. I'd be willing to bet there's more of that going on than you can imagine.

--CC

Old 05-27-2011 | 07:03 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
My understanding (as limited as it is), is that once the RL has been raised or manipulated, all of the calibrations for over-revs 1-6 are thrown off. Hence, numerous false type 4,5,6 codes, when really it was a type 1 at best.
Thanks Chris. I believe you are correct there is incompatibility between the tune file and the range counters. The big problem i forsee is when a warranty claim needs to be made or, a request for goodwill is asked. Given the number of over rev spikes recorded i can only imagine things wouldn't go down too well. I wonder just how many users of these tunes are aware of the status of their range counters? Also is there a cure for this problem in the pipe...?
Hopefully Scott can add something here.

Old 05-27-2011 | 07:18 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Awesome thread. Thanks fro doing this.

I have several questions:

How far can the DME "adjust" before throwing a code. IE what happens if you add a simple boost controller to a stock file? I assume the engine will compensate at least for some time?

Can you make a tune which is basically stock parameters with increased boost acceptability? How far off are tunes from these "stockish settings besides more boost?

Can you adjust cam timing at all on the cars compared to factory settings or is that a mechanical thing?

Some tuners have established themselves as more "powerful" than others. And I have heard of a few, but not many blown engines, mostly centered around only 2 tuners. NOT throwing rocks. But I've been here long enough to know that these are generally pretty silent. I your opinion are these engines running too much boost? Timing? Deadened knock resistance? a combination? bad fuel?

There was a time when rev limits kept going higher and higher on the 996T motors. As high as 7600. This trend seems to have subsided after a few breakdowns. What do you consider a "safe" rev limit? I have mine set at 7,000 now.

Can the 996T support boost by gear limits?

I'll keep them coming. Thanks again for doing this! It's great and super informative.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 07:28 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I'd be curious to hear a response to the overrevs as well. I guess it's possible that raising the rev limiter could mess up the overrev calibration but is this known for sure? It seems to me that these would be independent events but that's just a guess. One way of testing would be to record your current overrevs then take the car to 6900 rpms and not shift, just let off the gas and don't go through neutral. Then see where the overrevs are recorded. It could be that a slight delay in letting off the gas after depressing the clutch, could send the motor's inertia into a higher rev range. Just a thought.

Old 05-27-2011 | 10:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TTdude
I'd be curious to hear a response to the overrevs as well. I guess it's possible that raising the rev limiter could mess up the overrev calibration but is this known for sure? It seems to me that these would be independent events but that's just a guess. One way of testing would be to record your current overrevs then take the car to 6900 rpms and not shift, just let off the gas and don't go through neutral. Then see where the overrevs are recorded. It could be that a slight delay in letting off the gas after depressing the clutch, could send the motor's inertia into a higher rev range. Just a thought.
Possibly. But once the ignition is killed instantaneously upon spiking the rev limiter whatever inertia is present is not going to rev it to 9000 rpms to record a 6. It would also have to be one hell of a full on downshift to cause that as well. There's definitely something going wrong between the tune file and the range recorders imo....especially if you know as fact you havent gone anywhere near those rev levels. It'd be great to hear the "word" on this from the tuners....but no one seems to want to talk about this issue.

Old 05-27-2011 | 10:43 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I don't know how plausible it is to get to 9000 rpms if you shift just before rev-limiter (say 7199) with no load. Overrevs seem to be a bit taboo unless your considering buying a car with DME readouts that show overrevs--lol.

Old 05-27-2011 | 11:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TTdude
I don't know how plausible it is to get to 9000 rpms if you shift just before rev-limiter (say 7199) with no load. Overrevs seem to be a bit taboo unless your considering buying a car with DME readouts that show overrevs--lol.
lol indeed. It seems these days so much emphasis is being placed on DME readouts when it comes to buying/selling one of these cars when in true essence its all just mumbo jumbo 99% of the time particularly if the car has had a tune file. It really becomes anyones guess whats really been going on behind the wheel/throttle. Maybe theres some value in a compliant DME readout when sitting on a bar stool chatting with your buddy that has a DME with spikes all over the ranges.

Last edited by speed21; 05-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
lol indeed. It seems these days so much emphasis is being placed on the DME readouts when it comes to buying/selling one of these cars when in true essence its all just mumbo jumbo 99% of the time particularly if the car has had a tune file. It really becomes anyones guess whats really been going on behind the wheel/throttle.
Yeah, that pretty much says it.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:45 AM
ca993twin is infamous around these parts
Question

I have an odd question... being an old (I mean really old) software engineer... is the source code written in a high-level language and then compiled? Are there drivers available for the various sensors and doo-dads? Is most of the code comprised of look-up tables? Writing this sort of code sounds like a lot of fun (in an extra-geeky kind of way). Thanks, Steve