997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:58 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
I thought I would give a bit of my background and try and make it short. I own and write programming for Softronic in which is a given. I write and check the software for Porsche in many different levels of racing. Some of this is compliance checking of the race cars binary to files for an entire race group. The compliance checking is done first by pulling the entire map via the port from a race car and checking it against either one that I have written for the series or one that the car came with from Porsche. Many race groups like the PCA have a stock class in which no tuning is aloud unlike some in HSR that have an entire series flashed etc. Once this is pulled and if it fails my initial inspection I would then check exactly what was changed and why. The changes could be as small as a raised RPM limiter or as large as an entire fuel table. Both of these would fail unless it was aloud or made for that series.

Some of my other work has been in the development of software that is used for flashing, reading , writing and end user tools for the cars.

I have been building race, street engines and transmissions for just about 30 years now. These would range from a 550 Spyder 4 Cam to 997 Cup car. This offers not only the knowledge and capabilities of making a high HP engine that will last in racing yet a better understanding than just tuning it. My passport as it is referred to in Porsche is full of stamps and certifications from classes in the US and Germany. Yes this would include being a Porsche Master Technician.

Sometimes I'm used as an expert in technical articles in Panorama, Road and Track, Car and Driver, Excellence and more. While some articles I have written , my time is limited so I usually help in the data for them.

I did say I would make it short so I do not want to tire everyone with more on me. Yes I could go on further yet we should start on why this was started.

This subject has always been discussed on sites among people yet mainly by those that sell it or use it and not by those that actually make it. This doesn't offer the true correct facts many times as the answers would usually be mine is better than yours. I have even seen posts that would make them the authority on what I made or did. Many who know me are familiar with a quote of mine that I use "Janitor by day and Guru by night". This is all in fun as anyone can post as an expert or under any ID they want in a forum yet who are they really and what do they do for a living?

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:59 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997turbofl
I was recently over at prototech and they told me that protomotive writes all the tunes for softronic and tpc. They also stated that they never give the full tune out just a mild version.

Simply.... Not True. I hope this is not an indicator already on how this thread will be used.

Last edited by Softronic; 10-06-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: text
Old 10-06-2010 | 09:11 AM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
I have a question:

From my understanding the 997.2 Turbo is basically the same car as the 997.2 Turbo S. Its like a highly optioned Turbo. Car and driver says "The creation of the S involved revising the engine software to pump up the maximum boost from 11.6 psi to 14.5" I have a 2010 not an "S" and my owners manual says max boost is 14.5. I have also seen 14.5 under hard acceleration so Car and Driver is inaccurate.

My question is 1. Do you know the real difference between the base and S model tunes?

and

2. From a tuner's perspective, is it possible to duplicate the factory S tune so that it can be added to the car and Porsche service would not know its a tuner's flash. The purpose of this would be to keep your warranty without having to worry about reflashing to stock.

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:34 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
If you remove the maf sensor, how does the 997t utilize MAP sensor to calculate VE? Is that automatically done on the back end?

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:43 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Hoppity
I have a question:

From my understanding the 997.2 Turbo is basically the same car as the 997.2 Turbo S. Its like a highly optioned Turbo. Car and driver says "The creation of the S involved revising the engine software to pump up the maximum boost from 11.6 psi to 14.5" I have a 2010 not an "S" and my owners manual says max boost is 14.5. I have also seen 14.5 under hard acceleration so Car and Driver is inaccurate.

My question is 1. Do you know the real difference between the base and S model tunes?

and

2. From a tuner's perspective, is it possible to duplicate the factory S tune so that it can be added to the car and Porsche service would not know its a tuner's flash. The purpose of this would be to keep your warranty without having to worry about reflashing to stock.
Yes and no as Porsche protects files for cars such as "S" models and higher grade sold cars. While the file could be flashed by a tuner the correct way for it to be installed would be by a Dealer themself or factory tester. The problem with that is Porsche uses release codes by the VIN so a release code would not be given for a non "S" turbo.

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:59 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TTdude
If you remove the maf sensor, how does the 997t utilize MAP sensor to calculate VE? Is that automatically done on the back end?
The 997.1 can utilize the MAP sensor as does the 997.2 . There are some corrections that are made to the file for the elimination of the MAF in the 997.1, otherwise it is automatically done.

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:00 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Thats very kind from you scott !!!!

thanks alot ..

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:31 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I would like to know which tuners are selling your files as their own?

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:38 AM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Softronic
Yes and no as Porsche protects files for cars such as "S" models and higher grade sold cars. While the file could be flashed by a tuner the correct way for it to be installed would be by a Dealer themself or factory tester. The problem with that is Porsche uses release codes by the VIN so a release code would not be given for a non "S" turbo.
Thanks, I had no idea the vin was tied to the flash.

Can you elaborate on the first question without giving away trade secrets? What is the difference in the tune between the regular and S if its not more boost, how are they getting more hp?

Old 10-06-2010 | 12:52 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
I love honesty. I've always known that "Watch Dog" would catch it every time. The good thing is Porsche usually doesn't ask a respected dealership/tech to even look for it. It doesn't just come up on the scan tool. You have to go into a different program to see the violation. Thanks Scott for your time and honesty.

Questions:

What causes these flashed cars to go through plugs? It happened to me several times along with a lot of others whether they announced it or not.

How do you feel about the new motor taking mods at this point?

Old 10-06-2010 | 03:23 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
GT2 plug interval recommendation is shorter than 997.1 interval so its not just the tuned turbos that go through them quick.

GT2 2 yr / 12k
Turbo 997.1 4 yr / 24k

Last edited by gmoney; 10-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010 | 03:56 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Softronic
...? The first question may be why is Softronic posting this? Or why should we trust or listen to you?
google link juice and increase online marketshare/mindshare?

quid pro quo!

Old 10-06-2010 | 04:06 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Why do you guys( a generality) adjust the o2 sensor to such a high threshold that the readiness codes never come up, hence failing emissions testing?

Old 10-06-2010 | 04:55 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Why do you guys( a generality) adjust the o2 sensor to such a high threshold that the readiness codes never come up, hence failing emissions testing?
That would depend on the tuner and what they do to them. The front or primary O2 sensors are always used however the back ones are sometimes eliminated or altered. The rear O2 sensors measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters and would have to be changed should the cats be eliminated or altered below spec (For Racing or off road use). While they can be eliminated or not used the Ready Status can still be set permanently by the tuner or not. The rear O2 sensors are used in LEV and EU4 cars. Some states also do not require all of them to be in ready status yet a set amount such as 4 or 5. Now keep in mind there is no way to get around a tail pipe test even if the Tuner set the ready status as permanent. A car without Cats will pass the ready status yet fail the tail pipe.

Old 10-06-2010 | 05:02 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ttpopo
google link juice and increase online marketshare/mindshare?

quid pro quo!
I would have preferred to do this whole thread under a personal user name such as "Marine8541" yet this site banned it the day I became a sponsor. Basically I have no choice and have to post under Softronic no matter what it may be about.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts