997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:21 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by L8Apex
There is a thread about Technical data on "flashes" and data logs that would be interesting to discuss. Primarily the ignition angle at full throttle from some of these data logs.

I had looked at this once before and I believe the question was why one tune would hold the timing while the others did not? In a simple answer the Knock Sensors. These are desensitized so they do not react to the stock standards. Basically the same tune with them at factory would tend to pull the timing yet not if altered.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:22 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ted
I love honesty. I've always known that "Watch Dog" would catch it every time. The good thing is Porsche usually doesn't ask a respected dealership/tech to even look for it. It doesn't just come up on the scan tool. You have to go into a different program to see the violation. Thanks Scott for your time and honesty.

Questions:

What causes these flashed cars to go through plugs? It happened to me several times along with a lot of others whether they announced it or not.

How do you feel about the new motor taking mods at this point?
What is the "Watch Dog" you're referring to? Is it Porsche software?

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:23 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I would like to know which tuners are selling your files as their own?
this is a good question...but I'm not optimistic it will be answered.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:31 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Yes it's part of the dealer's Scan Tool software. It's job is to determine whether the ECU has been compromised, very sophisticated, really can't be beaten. Even if you swop out ECU's the counters in the system will be off. This is even if the Porsche dealer does it. The difference is if they replace it for whatever reason they notate it in the system so your warranty won't be voided downline. In other words it can't be beaten/changed even by them. Again, PCNA usually doesn't even ask the dealer to go looking there on a warranty claim if they're a reliable dealer that doesn't turn in unreasonable amounts of claims... In other words the "Watch Dog" doesn't just pop up when they plug in to the OBD port.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:33 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
I'm quite sure Switzer uses Softronic.

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:05 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Great thread..educational...Thank U.

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:12 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Does Softronic have an in-house Dyno for tuning purposes? Do you do any street tunes? Do you rely on client feedback for hp/tq gains when they dyno their car?

When you do "custom" tunes are you just manipulating data from the end user original software tables, or do you have generic file that is sent to everyone? How do you account for climate and altitude conditions for clients in various parts of the world?

What tables do you typically modify on a tune? o2, egt, ignition, ?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a potential client just interested in clearing up things I have heard.

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:41 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
I had looked at this once before and I believe the question was why one tune would hold the timing while the others did not? In a simple answer the Knock Sensors. These are desensitized so they do not react to the stock standards. Basically the same tune with them at factory would tend to pull the timing yet not if altered.
How do you know these tunes have the knock sensor desensitized? And why would any one want to do that? Sounds like a great way to destroy a motor.

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:18 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997turbofl
I was recently over at prototech and they told me that protomotive writes all the tunes for softronic and tpc. They also stated that they never give the full tune out just a mild version.
If you didn't misunderstand them then they are self serving and just full of ****.

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:35 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, this sounds like the makings of a very interesting and educational thread. I think you should focus on the the 996, 997.1 and 997.2. It would be very interesting to hear what you have to say about each, from a tuneability perspective, in relation to each other. Also, if you could simply post articles on topics that have been a mystery for years, for example '600+hp 996 tunes utilizing the stock MAF', it would be very enlightening. Your comments would be invaluable as there is currently a complete void of this kind of information available here.

Mike

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:46 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
I am interested in where the edges are in pushing the limits of the stock engine in a 997.1 from a general tuning perspective. I think that is what many of us are searching for. Saying the same thing in a different way, what are reasonably safe parameters of the tuning segments without major risk? I'm not talking about "warranty" issues, just practical "I don't want to blow my motor up" issues. (pardon me for not being very educated in this area, but I do want to learn.)

Old 10-06-2010 | 11:34 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Thanks. Why does the knock sensor pull more in 5th gear than the others in those data logs? Also, is there a big difference tuning on a chassis dyno vs engine dyno?

Old 10-07-2010 | 05:13 AM
darmawaa is infamous around these partsdarmawaa is infamous around these parts
I have an AWE 750R program (with modified VTG, exhaust, manifold, TB, etc).
I put VP MS109 (RON 109) fuel for drag race and set the GIAC for race fuel software, on the way home when the fuel tank almost empty I fill 65L with pump gas 95 RON octane, and forget to change the program to pump gas.
I just remember that I forget to change the program a few days later. I didn't feel any knock at all, even with 14 octane difference. So the knock sensor must be working with GIAC software.
I have an Mitsu Evolution X tuned by Ecutek, I can definitely hear the knock even from changing RON 95 to RON 93 (2 octane difference).
So, tunes are NOT created equal. Some is better than others.

Old 10-07-2010 | 06:34 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TestJet
Does Softronic have an in-house Dyno for tuning purposes? Do you do any street tunes? Do you rely on client feedback for hp/tq gains when they dyno their car?

When you do "custom" tunes are you just manipulating data from the end user original software tables, or do you have generic file that is sent to everyone? How do you account for climate and altitude conditions for clients in various parts of the world?

What tables do you typically modify on a tune? o2, egt, ignition, ?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a potential client just interested in clearing up things I have heard.
Yes Softronic has a dyno that we use, engine and wheel.... Then again you ask how we account for climate conditions around the world. This wouldn't be done on a single dyno in one location. I like to data-log real world conditions when required. A wheel dyno would measure full load in a given gear, what about the other 99% of the map in all driving conditions? Dyno's are also the most abused tool I have seen in the tuning world. I had written on how a Lemon scented air freshener gave 10HP compared to Pine and did it in front of a room full of people. The dyno showed it was true and all the tables had been the same yet and the runs had been done 30 minutes apart. Lets say it did not in reality yet I could show it on a Dyno. Shops will also set cars up differently from one run to a run months later needless to say the climate conditions may not be the same. Others simply do not set up correctly or sell brand A and the customer has brand B so the run comes in low and many more.

I wouldn't call any tuned file generic as Porsche uses in large 3 files world wide , LEV , EU4, EU2, they do not tune each car at each location. Why? Simply the 997 40mhz DME is very adaptive as long as the info is in it. Then again this also applies to the 996 DME's that used in large LEV and ROW files untill they added EU2 and EU4. One file LEV is used by them for all of NA. This would be 91 oct,93 oct, Florida hot and humid, AZ hot and dry, CT fairly mild at times, Canada etc. Porsche does state though one given HP figure for all 3 of these worldwide.

I modify all that you listed and much more and yes each read or individual car is modified since they hold the cars VIN in the file. I otherwise could have made tunes up on a disc and send them out just for programming to Dealers and not require a read. This is not to say there is anything wrong with that either.

Last edited by Softronic; 10-07-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Text
Old 10-07-2010 | 06:42 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Scott for President !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts