997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:52 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997turbofl
Scott can you post up some pics of your facility.

Sure, I will have to take a few.
I would also just like to say that I try and stop in when I can to answer question. This though is in between working as I'm not typically on the internet all day.

Old 10-07-2010 | 09:09 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Thanks. Why does the knock sensor pull more in 5th gear than the others in those data logs? Also, is there a big difference tuning on a chassis dyno vs engine dyno?
Typically a car in 5th or final drive at full throttle would be at its highest loads do to heat soak, power to gen the speed it is traveling etc. Some of the correction that is used to control the det would be to fatten up the tune yet it also takes away HP as you have unburnt fuel. The knock sensors will also pic up other harmonics so altering them allows a leaner tune and lower set timing numbers as a max.

An engine dyno is definitely the best yet you have to pull the engine.

Old 10-07-2010 | 10:05 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ted
Yes it's part of the dealer's Scan Tool software. It's job is to determine whether the ECU has been compromised, very sophisticated, really can't be beaten. Even if you swop out ECU's the counters in the system will be off. This is even if the Porsche dealer does it. The difference is if they replace it for whatever reason they notate it in the system so your warranty won't be voided downline. In other words it can't be beaten/changed even by them. Again, PCNA usually doesn't even ask the dealer to go looking there on a warranty claim if they're a reliable dealer that doesn't turn in unreasonable amounts of claims... In other words the "Watch Dog" doesn't just pop up when they plug in to the OBD port.
If you have a Softronic tune (or any other that use the client) and you flash back to stock tune can Watch Dog detect that? I note that the flash counter doesn't change in this case.

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:07 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
As I understand it, yes it does show up. It may be different now with the new ECU's and the way they try to get around the counters but I don't think so. I know Stephen at Imagine swore up and down it wouldn't show up on an old 996 I had, well it did...

Scott needs to answer this. I've found all of these tuners pretty much allude the question. For instance, the way Champion has dealt with this issue is not by claiming it's undetectable but by issuing a warranty for the length of the factory warranty themselves if something was to go wrong. I'm in no way endorsing them or implying who's best, just trying to answer your question... However I do feel their approach does deal with the issue at hand IF their warranty is what they claim it is.

Scott, would you please put this to rest for us. Is it cloak-able or not? Do re-flashes, flipped ECU's, proper flashing go unseen or not?

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:42 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Lets just say that for every front door there is usually a back one also and different levels of access. Porsche cant as a rule retrieve lost Imob codes on DME's, alter hrs, Over revs etc yet it can be done, not by them though. Many times a Dealer enters a wrong code or exceeds the 3 programming rule and ask for assistance.

The Watchdog or DME monitoring is largely on itself and independent among the other control units. The issue with using a different DME is simply the other units do not increment with them so it is a given as an example that a car with 10 hrs couldn't have 10k miles on it or 300 in another registry etc. Porsche does replace DME's under warranty so the counter for that DME would be 0 yet it is recorded in the history of the car.

A simple rule of thumb is ALL tuned files are detectable period yet there is a difference in a correct Porsche file and how it is loaded as to if it is out of sequence. A tuned file can be detected by its simple binary or even CVN that is viewable on a PIWIS yet you have to know what the correct code is to verify. The PIWIS used to do this however starting in version 18 it was dropped so that it was not readily checkable and used by others.

Last edited by Softronic; 10-07-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added Text
Old 10-07-2010 | 12:52 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Thanks Scott. This is pretty much exactly what I said but explained in greater detail. Once again, the good thing is Porsche doesn't go looking for these things usually. For instance, I had to have a brand new X50 motor replaced under warranty on a past 996 due to internal bearing issues. It was a 54K motor. Porsche never asked the tech to go look and see if had been modded (in this case it had not) and just sent the brand new motor in overnight. I had another 6-speed 996 in the past that had the second gear pop out issue. It was modded but Porsche never asked anyone to look and just replaced the transmission.

Anyway don't want to hijack and get off topic however this is a big deal to a lot of people who are, or will be, reading this thread. The good thing is the GT1 motor and package seems to be very reliable even pushed to the limit hence quelling some of the fears brought on by modding the earlier 996's which had issues even w/o modding them... In other words modding a 997.1 seems to be much less risky.

Old 10-07-2010 | 01:23 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Lets just say that for every front door there is usually a back one also and different levels of access. Porsche cant as a rule retrieve lost Imob codes on DME's, alter hrs, Over revs etc yet it can be done, not by them though. Many times a Dealer enters a wrong code or exceeds the 3 programming rule and ask for assistance.

The Watchdog or DME monitoring is largely on itself and independent among the other control units. The issue with using a different DME is simply the other units do not increment with them so it is a given as an example that a car with 10 hrs couldn't have 10k miles on it or 300 in another registry etc. Porsche does replace DME's under warranty so the counter for that DME would be 0 yet it is recorded in the history of the car.

A simple rule of thumb is ALL tuned files are detectable period yet there is a difference in a correct Porsche file and how it is loaded as to if it is out of sequence. A tuned file can be detected by its simple binary or even CVN that is viewable on a PIWIS yet you have to know what the correct code is to verify. The PIWIS used to do this however starting in version 18 it was dropped so that it was not readily checkable and used by others.
If I'm understanding you you're saying that a tuned file is detectable. I'm asking if you flash back to the untuned file (the original file sent by the tuner - e.g. you!) can Porsche detect this with Watch dog or other means?

Old 10-07-2010 | 02:34 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
If I'm understanding you you're saying that a tuned file is detectable. I'm asking if you flash back to the untuned file (the original file sent by the tuner - e.g. you!) can Porsche detect this with Watch dog or other means?
The original file that you would flash back to is not detectable as it is the correct file for the car and the CVN, flash counters etc correctly shown. There is nothing lets say detectable than what is correct for the car. I guess you could say it is technically detectable as correct.

As an example someone could have a tuned file in their car and it would be any including mine. Should the car race as stock it would fail. Now if it was flashed back to original and I pulled the entire binary and checked the indexes etc it would be fine.

I would rather discuss general questions etc than my specific software as I do not want this as a sales or promotion for any company.

Old 10-07-2010 | 02:56 PM
Ted
But wouldn't the mileage logged still be off?

Scott, I don't think anybody is going to think you're bending this towards yourself. Many have wanted to understand this specific subject for a long time. If you're indeed one of the blessed few that can overcome the ECU modding/unmodding dilemma then so be it.... That's a good thing to know.

Old 10-07-2010 | 03:12 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Could you further explain the "128MB" vs "1MB" reading of the DME files? Why is it that diffcult to read it entirely?

PS: Have features like post cat O2's disable/lauch control anything to do with the ability to fully read the DME?

Old 10-07-2010 | 03:47 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Ted
But wouldn't the mileage logged still be off?

Scott, I don't think anybody is going to think you're bending this towards yourself. Many have wanted to understand this specific subject for a long time. If you're indeed one of the blessed few that can overcome the ECU modding/unmodding dilemma then so be it.... That's a good thing to know.
Would you be referring to the mileage in the DME to cluster when using two DMEs one tuned and one Porsche? If so yes. If not then please ask again as I may not have understood it correctly.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 10-07-2010 | 04:01 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
Scott,

Whats the difference between EU2 and EU4 rom files? EU4 is shown as EU400 in durametric software right?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2010 | 04:04 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Could you further explain the "128MB" vs "1MB" reading of the DME files? Why is it that diffcult to read it entirely?

PS: Have features like post cat O2's disable/lauch control anything to do with the ability to fully read the DME?
Perhaps you could tell me which DME or car? You said 1MB so I think it is a 7.8 that you are referring to as per your car listed.. The 128 was most likely 128K?

Last edited by Softronic; 10-07-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Text Added
Old 10-07-2010 | 04:25 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, sorry...yes I was referring to my car's (996t) DME and yes I meant 128K, not M...

I read it on your website and became curious about it..

Old 10-07-2010 | 04:27 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Scott,

Whats the difference between EU2 and EU4 rom files? EU4 is shown as EU400 in durametric software right?

Thanks
Hello ,

I noticed your last post on times congrats .

The EU2 files basically do not have the "Tank Ready status" or also known as fuel tank evap system nor the "Secondary 02 Sensors" for Catalytic converter efficiency. The EU4 cars are about the same as the LEV North America versions. You could though change an LEV or EU4 to a EU2 version if you wanted by deleting these in a tune. The older ROW cars had no emissions features while the LEV versions always have.

Just for reference there are other sub versions of these like the one for Japan that decreases emissions at idle. They are though under these sub categories of EU4 or EU2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts