997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010 | 02:37 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
so scott a question to one of your response, how do you or any body else figure out the auth code and the rsa pass key ( i am assuming) , almost seems like you have to hack it? because even if you use third party software and wipe every thing out, then how does porsche read the dme once that is done because all the porsche specific auth code and rsa would be wiped out then ?, am i missing some thing here

Ronnie
The seed keys have to be figured out or hacked as you stated . Once the seed key formulas are obtained then they are used for access and then reading and writing. Some have several levels of the keys as challenges sent back and forth. The seed key formulas do not change so it is still accessed the same as it always was. These are used for port programming.
When bench flashed they are programmed in a boot mode or direct by a BDM etc. To bench flash requires the DME's removal and taken apart. This in some cases is just 4 screws on the DME for the 7.2 or 7.8 series while ones like the Cayenne or DFI are screwed and glued. Before the DFI cars the 29F400 in the 7.2 or the 29F800 in the 7.8 or Cayenne could also be removed and programmed and then reinstalled. These are soldered in .

BMW uses an RSA certificate for many of the cars as an example and the certificate is actually protected so should you use it without permission you would be in trouble. What has to be done in these types of protection is a work around and much more work is required, yet nothing is impossible. Well almost.....

Old 10-08-2010 | 03:46 PM
trompazo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Softronic
The control of the PSM/ABS is in the control unit itself. This control unit is the black box that is attached to the pump and what the electrical wiring attach's to. These units as a whole are write once in which they cant be programmed again. The 1996 993 DME was also like these as they were write once only. These DME's though can be reconfigured for different chips so they can be reprogrammed. The PSM/ABS unit is a different story.

The different cars have different PSM/ABS units such as the GT2 to the 997 Turbo. These units are preprogrammed to different values. The 987 to 997 is also different etc. The values are also so configured that they keep the car line in its place. A Cayman units values are set so that it handles well yet since it was not made for racing does not do well with slicks on the track unless altered.

I have for many years reconfigured cars such as the Cayman's in which I may have installed a 3.8S or X51 engine and then changed the CAN configuration and PSM/ABS so it actually ran as a Mid engine 911 in which does not exist. These cars have no issues with the PSM being intrusive. I also get many to fix after such said conversions.

Some of the changes could be to the DME as the PSM/ABS unit relies on torque values from it. The DME is an input. This will not change what the PSM/ABS was programmed to yet how it acts on what it receives via CAN.
This is very interesting.

So basically, I should be able to buy the ABS/PSM controller for a GT2, plug it in and I would have less intrusive stability control. And I assume if I bought the different dash panel with the GT2 buttons, I could then turn off my stability control while retaining traction control like in the the GT2?

This would make sense in my car as I have done about 200lbs of weight loss mods and essentially have all the GT2 suspension parts and stiff coilovers already.

What about the GT2 launch control? Is that a part of the DME? I know you make launch control an option on the 996 and assume you could do it for the 997tt.

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2010 | 04:25 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trompazo
This is very interesting.

So basically, I should be able to buy the ABS/PSM controller for a GT2, plug it in and I would have less intrusive stability control. And I assume if I bought the different dash panel with the GT2 buttons, I could then turn off my stability control while retaining traction control like in the the GT2?

This would make sense in my car as I have done about 200lbs of weight loss mods and essentially have all the GT2 suspension parts and stiff coilovers already.

What about the GT2 launch control? Is that a part of the DME? I know you make launch control an option on the 996 and assume you could do it for the 997tt.

Thanks again.
The GT2 is 2 wheel drive while the 997TT is 4 wheel so it is not as simple in this case. You would have to recode other systems to do it and the launch control etc would work . The DME would be coded to the B830 file tuned or not. The all wheel would also have to be changed to 2 wheel as the car would be controlled as 2 wheel for the torque loads compared to 4 wheel etc. Basically the car is coded and converted to a GT2 in this case.

Old 10-08-2010 | 06:26 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I would like to see some screenshots from your tuning software

Thank you Scott
Have you used Rev 4 since the 5.34? Send me a PM.

Now as far as the tuning software I will have to give that one a bit of thought as mine is not as others. Some I do on just bin code in which I posted a file. The other is the developer software by Bosch.

Best,
Scott Slauson

Old 10-09-2010 | 12:11 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Scott,

I have a question if I may...

Reading through the thread, you said you do a lot of hardware work, not just software tuning.

Why have you not sought out our business? I mean us individual Porsche owners?

Old 10-09-2010 | 03:10 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Scott,

I have a question if I may...

Reading through the thread, you said you do a lot of hardware work, not just software tuning.

Why have you not sought out our business? I mean us individual Porsche owners?
Good question. Well I had for the most part spent my time building Race engines , transmissions and tuning the cars for race teams over the years. I didn't have the time to offer this work to anyone else as I always had to many of them lined up to get done. I do all the work myself as it is the only way that I can guaranty it was done correctly and would last. This is not to say that one mechanical over rev by a driver to 12k can end the life of an engine quickly.

I have opened a facility now that I will take in these types of rebuilds. These can range from vintage 4 Cam Spyder engines to 997 Cup cars. Yes of course the Turbo engines and transmissions are in this. I have many pictures hung up of older GTP and Lights cars that I worked on and also Cup cars ranging from 964-997. There are also the 908 and other vintage cars in there. Prices would vary on what is to be done such as a restoration on a 4 Cam or Race rebuild on a 997 Cup Car. The older Cup cars in the 996 range often require updates to the Con rods, Heads , cam housings and more.

Engines and transmissions can be either sent to me via freight or the car delivered on an appointment only. I will also be doing conversions for those who want it done correctly the first time. I get many of these to fix after the fact and have one now sent in from Michigan....

I hope this better answers your question.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:04 PM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Softronic
Have you used Rev 4 since the 5.34? Send me a PM.

Now as far as the tuning software I will have to give that one a bit of thought as mine is not as others. Some I do on just bin code in which I posted a file. The other is the developer software by Bosch.

Best,
Scott Slauson
great thread scott. do you have any info on the 997 turbo cams going bad and a fix 4 it ?

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:48 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
Scott,

I have a few questions:

1- does Porsche ever update their stock maps? If so, how can I find out what version I have and what the latest version is?

2- what AFR do the stock maps target?

3- will tuned maps affect oil change interval? I'm thinking a richer than stock AFR will lower oil change intervals and if a tuner tweaks AFR...

This thread is brilliant as these questions have been lingering in the back of my head. If you can answer them, then that would be wonderful!

Best,

Michael.

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:51 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Scott, very informative indeed, thanks! And now to the questions:

1. About PSM. Can you write a code for a 996 turbo DME that would allow it to discuss with 2WD Carrera PSM 5.7 unit?? From your previous post I assume that it would be possible.
2. What prohibits a ME7.8 to run MAFless? Or what's there to be done in addition to programming?
3. Changed instrument panel with incorrect mileage ( ie. used one with double the correct amount ). Is it possible to code it for correct miles?
4. How flexible is the ME7.8, ie. how large corrections to fuel injection it can do at WOT -if any- to keep the programmed AFR?

Old 10-10-2010 | 10:27 AM
NCturbo is infamous around these parts
Also interested in pete95's question

Old 10-10-2010 | 01:54 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Fantastic thread. I am glad to finally get to know who the "mover and shaker" behind the scene is. I honestly at first thought you worked for Vivid Racing!
I can't wait to see a car tuned, hardware and software, by you, Scott.

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:51 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Scott,

I have a few questions:

1- does Porsche ever update their stock maps? If so, how can I find out what version I have and what the latest version is?

2- what AFR do the stock maps target?

3- will tuned maps affect oil change interval? I'm thinking a richer than stock AFR will lower oil change intervals and if a tuner tweaks AFR...

This thread is brilliant as these questions have been lingering in the back of my head. If you can answer them, then that would be wonderful!

Best,

Michael.
I thought I would stop in on Sunday and get one of these done .

Yes Porsche does update the stock maps often enough that many may not have the quote latest Rev. This would apply mainly to cars still in production as most older ones have a final one Rev by now. I will have to give a few examples on how it works as they are all Not the same.

The first would be a 996TT. The files are formed in series such as the lower number starts them and though out their production it increases as it evolves by MY and emissions requirements as an example from low to high and keep in mind some may be used for LEV or EU or both; 6020,6120,6150,6600,6610,6612,6700 . The next series of numbers is the map that is in the car and the last 2 digits show its REV. This as an example is for a Manual Trans K16 996TT 2002 and started with a 6600 5803. The Rev's would then go to 5813 next and then 5823 etc. For this series the last was as a 6600 5823. This is not to say that the rev warrants a re-flash of a car as it may be something as simple as a very slight fuel trim. Porsche also can only flash the DME 3 times so if there was 10 revs they would not want to buy every owner DME's every 3 times. Some may be a safety issue in which they would send you a card to go to the Dealer at that point.

The 997TT cars follow the same configurations such as they started B712, B721,B730,B740 and lastly B742 for now. The GT2 cars use a B821 or B830. These first set of numbers are major Revs and always supersede a minor as the last 2 digits when present. So in this case if your LEV 997TT came with any other initial file short of the B742 it would be updated to that one when flashed. The last set of digits in these hold minor revs in that series Such as a B742 5873 has a minor rev to a 5883. The latest B742 file in this case would be the B7425883. Now in the future you may see a B750 and so on.

The normally aspirated cars had the same history yet the last two are always a rev. A 2006 CaymanS has a A822 series file for that year and started as a A8225803 and went through revs up in which it has stayed a A8225843. Notice how it went in progression as a A8225803 to a A8225813 and then A8225823, A8225833 and lastly the A8225843.

This takes a bit to understand yet those are the basics on how the files are made and then how Rev's apply. This information can be found under DME and then ID or vehicle data in a Porsche tester or after market scanners like Durametric .

The second part asks as far as AFR's . That depends on Open or closed loop. Closed loop will typically target 14.7 in which is considered a clean burn for emissions yet that will change given RPM to load demands. Open loop will not be controlled by the O2 sensors yet rely on the fuel map for such. When a car is run on a dyno it would be in open loop and run at that given rpm to load setting in that map. These settings vary from tip to man trans and of course turbo to NA cars.

The last part asks about the AFR to oil changes. Basically a file that is to fat or rich will wash down the cylinders and contaminate the oil. This would not only warrant more frequent oil changes, possibly fouled plugs, ruined Cat's yet more important power is being wasted. While the O2's will try and adjust in Closed loop they can only adjust so much and not in Open loop.

Old 10-10-2010 | 03:16 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by cannga
Fantastic thread. I am glad to finally get to know who the "mover and shaker" behind the scene is. I honestly at first thought you worked for Vivid Racing!
I can't wait to see a car tuned, hardware and software, by you, Scott.
No I do not work for Vivid although they and others sell the software. I do make some files differently for specific vendors. Most who are in the Porsche Club should Know me from doing technical for the club and racing. Softronic is a Race sponsor also and found on the back of all time sheets. Should you go to a race and find a 6'5 former Marine looking at the cars it would be me... The hair cut is still high and tight and shorter than the other officials unless they are bald.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 10-10-2010 | 03:37 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Scott, very informative indeed, thanks! And now to the questions:

1. About PSM. Can you write a code for a 996 turbo DME that would allow it to discuss with 2WD Carrera PSM 5.7 unit?? From your previous post I assume that it would be possible.
2. What prohibits a ME7.8 to run MAFless? Or what's there to be done in addition to programming?
3. Changed instrument panel with incorrect mileage ( ie. used one with double the correct amount ). Is it possible to code it for correct miles?
4. How flexible is the ME7.8, ie. how large corrections to fuel injection it can do at WOT -if any- to keep the programmed AFR?
Let me answer 1 and 3 as my time is getting short for now and the other 2 may take a bit more in discussion.

Yes the 7.8 DME can be changed for the use in other such installs. Basically I can change it to work as you described. The 2 wheel car would have to be a 5.7 2000MY converted or a 2001 MY with 5.7 or newer to work.

The clusters are typically not adjustable as you describe. There are some places that will adjust the mileage yet they have issues and I will not as a rule. Sorry.

Old 10-10-2010 | 03:55 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
Do you program files to use E85? If so, how do we (current customers) get you to make one for us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts