997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010 | 08:50 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
The 997TT cars follow the same configurations such as they started B712, B721,B730,B740 and lastly B742 for now. The GT2 cars use a B821 or B830. These first set of numbers are major Revs and always supersede a minor as the last 2 digits when present. So in this case if your LEV 997TT came with any other initial file short of the B742 it would be updated to that one when flashed. The last set of digits in these hold minor revs in that series Such as a B742 5873 has a minor rev to a 5883. The latest B742 file in this case would be the B7425883. Now in the future you may see a B750 and so on.
Hi Scott, my car has a GIAC tune that is flashed onto a second ECU that I purchased from dealer (the original one was removed and kept for comparison). Questions please:

1. Independent of the GIAC flash, I assume it is a good idea to make sure that my car has the latest version of Porsche file?
2. If answer to 1 is yes, what do I have to tell my dealer to have this done please?

I believe many of us here would be interested in your answers to these questions. Thank you for taking the time.

Old 10-11-2010 | 08:37 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Scott, my car has a GIAC tune that is flashed onto a second ECU that I purchased from dealer (the original one was removed and kept for comparison). Questions please:

1. Independent of the GIAC flash, I assume it is a good idea to make sure that my car has the latest version of Porsche file?
2. If answer to 1 is yes, what do I have to tell my dealer to have this done please?

I believe many of us here would be interested in your answers to these questions. Thank you for taking the time.
I many times inform a customer of their file status when it gets read out and depending on its age recommend or not to have it flashed by the Dealer. This prevents them overwriting the file as soon as it goes into the shop for something else. The Dealer as I stated will send you notification should it be safety related to come in. Many times they will do it when the car is in for service in which it is done as a "Service Action" to the car. A Service Action is something that the manufacturer does when they get a car in and is not to be confused with a "Recall" in which has to be done as a notification in the mail to you. All the files created by the Manufacturer are good unless as I stated it was a safety issue in which they would have to notify you.

You would be best as in all cases to check on what you have and then call the Dealer and explain what is in the car. Keep in mind that this will erase all previous files in the car tuned or not. Do not flash the car without talking to your tuner again as it may end up not running.

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:16 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
scott any input on the cam problem with 997 s ?

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:59 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
[quote=Softronic;3004051] Porsche also can only flash the DME 3 times so if there was 10 revs they would not want to buy every owner DME's every 3 times. [quote]

Does this also apply to aftermarket flashes through the OBD port? Is there a limit to the number of times I can switch from my performance file back to the stock file for a smog test, then back to the performance file?

Old 10-11-2010 | 01:20 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by edelectra
scott any input on the cam problem with 997 s ?
Send me a PM as to the issue you have had or heard on them as Porsche has not issued any problems on it nor have I seen any that had not been caused by another outside influence. This would be from breaking or scoring.

Old 10-11-2010 | 01:25 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
[quote=landjet;3004764][quote=Softronic;3004051] Porsche also can only flash the DME 3 times so if there was 10 revs they would not want to buy every owner DME's every 3 times.

Does this also apply to aftermarket flashes through the OBD port? Is there a limit to the number of times I can switch from my performance file back to the stock file for a smog test, then back to the performance file?
No it should not as most tuners all use either a form of port flashing such as ours or others that do not index this. The removal of the DME and flashing with BDM or chip direct wouldn't either.

Old 10-11-2010 | 01:54 PM
artur777 is infamous around these partsartur777 is infamous around these parts
Scott,

What would you advise for 997.2 Turbo PDK owner regarding the best tuning package bring at the same time quite reliable?

-softronic ecu
- exhaust
- intercooler
- softronic tcu
- modded turbos

Thx for your personal opinion

Old 10-11-2010 | 02:46 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Thanks about the answers, but...

Originally Posted by pete95zhn

2. What prohibits a ME7.8 to run MAFless? Or what's there to be done in addition to programming?

Old 10-11-2010 | 04:21 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Along those lines, you mentioned that there are some corrections needed to the file to go from MAF to MAP on a 997.1t but otherwise it's automatic. Would you mind elaborating a little more on what those corrections are? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010 | 04:57 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TTdude
Along those lines, you mentioned that there are some corrections needed to the file to go from MAF to MAP on a 997.1t but otherwise it's automatic. Would you mind elaborating a little more on what those corrections are? Thanks.
I think that I would rather not post them. While I will post information on tuning I do not want to get into specific things to change as they would only be for the benefit of others in my field and not have much purpose for an individual. Sorry.

Old 10-11-2010 | 08:35 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
I many times inform a customer of their file status when it gets read out and depending on its age recommend or not to have it flashed by the Dealer. This prevents them overwriting the file as soon as it goes into the shop for something else. The Dealer as I stated will send you notification should it be safety related to come in. Many times they will do it when the car is in for service in which it is done as a "Service Action" to the car. A Service Action is something that the manufacturer does when they get a car in and is not to be confused with a "Recall" in which has to be done as a notification in the mail to you. All the files created by the Manufacturer are good unless as I stated it was a safety issue in which they would have to notify you.

You would be best as in all cases to check on what you have and then call the Dealer and explain what is in the car. Keep in mind that this will erase all previous files in the car tuned or not. Do not flash the car without talking to your tuner again as it may end up not running.
Thanks Scott. I am starting to understand a little better, but still some lingering questions please. I am sorry if my questions seems so rudimentary to you. I hope that's what this thread is for; educate amateurs like me! TIA. Let's say I have version B721 in my car:

1. When I flash the ECU with my GIAC tune, I no longer have version B721 in my car? The GIAC tune completely replaces B721?

2. Let's say for safety reason Porsche comes out with version B730 and now does a recall. If I am to benefit from the revisions of B730, I will have to replace the GIAC tune with B730, and NEVER flash the car with an after-market tune again?!

3. How could we tall what version we have in our car please?

Last edited by cannga; 10-11-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2010 | 08:47 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Thanks about the answers, but...

I did say I would get to this in my post.... To keep it simple rather than technical as this is a rush ,nothing depending on the application. The 7.8 DME is used in a 996 version or a 997 in which is a 40mhz processor. Mafless files have been used in the 964 in which was much earlier, 993, and of course the 996 in Racing. All of these cars had been NA and factory produced as Cup cars. Turbos have been Mafless in Porsche proto types back to the 5.2 CC460 chip range that I know and have the code on. So can a 7.8 DME 996 series be run Mafless? Yes . Would a 7.8 40MHZ be better ? Yes. The much faster Maffless production Siemens DFI 997.2 units work the best for now.

Last edited by Softronic; 10-12-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: text error
Old 10-11-2010 | 09:41 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks Scott. I am starting to understand a little better, but still some lingering questions please. I am sorry if my questions seems so rudimentary to you. I hope that's what this thread is for; educate amateurs like me! TIA. Let's say I have version B721 in my car:

1. When I flash the ECU with my GIAC tune, I no longer have version B721 in my car? The GIAC tune completely replaces B721?

2. Let's say for safety reason Porsche comes out with version B730 and now does a recall. If I am to benefit from the revisions of B730, I will have to replace the GIAC tune with B730, and NEVER flash the car with an after-market tune again?!

3. How could we tall what version we have in our car please?
No worries as this thread is in fact to educate people and you are asking questions. No question is ever stupid or dumb , we ask so that we can educate others who ask .

I would rather everyone not post any tuners names as this whole thread is not against or for anyone. Lets in the future just say tuner A or B yet not a name. The company you did mention has been around for many years and has my respect in the Internet. I have been called many things yet not by them.

The flashing process is different by the tuner. Some may only flash the MAP region so that it is changed back to original, or the way it was before the flash while others alter the processor and flash. Most never updated your flash.

As a general rule you should get a flash built upon the series that is in the car such as a B740 or B742 etc. The minor revs fall within these numbers. Now should Porsche say that the B740 had a Safety issue only as example and was changed to a B742 then yes the file should be based on that base of a B742. When the Dealer flashes a new file it would require you as a consumer to flash the car with quote the tuned file again. This file is either done by a tuners Dealers as a rule in which they would have to flash it all over again or by yourself. When you do this yourself the files are more specific for the Porsche base file and then would require the tuner to send a more custom file.

The file versions can be checked with a Porsche tester or after market products like Durametric under DME.

Old 10-12-2010 | 01:54 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Scott,

1. Why do some tuners have a hard time tuning for altitude while other do not? I have personally been a victim of a "canned" tune where the vendor was unwilling/unable to compensate for higher altitude environments.

2. What is the difference between 01 and later 996's where the installation of a GT2 wing causes wing error light but can be "ignored" on 02 and later but not 01's?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:34 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cpturbo
Do you program files to use E85? If so, how do we (current customers) get you to make one for us.
Did you forget to address my question?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts