997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:10 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cpturbo
Did you forget to address my question?
I'm currently not making them until further checking on the interaction with these specific engines. E85 should not be used with certain base alloys and plastics in which are used in these.

Old 10-13-2010 | 05:55 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Scott,

1. Why do some tuners have a hard time tuning for altitude while other do not? I have personally been a victim of a "canned" tune where the vendor was unwilling/unable to compensate for higher altitude environments.

2. What is the difference between 01 and later 996's where the installation of a GT2 wing causes wing error light but can be "ignored" on 02 and later but not 01's?

Thanks!
The higher alt does affect a tuned car more so than a stock one. Basically the mixture would be different for higher alt then sea level. The DME does adjust this to a degree and basically OK in a stock car. The problem is what may be acceptable at sea level in that tune is beyond what can be adjust or compensated in a high alt. I think that some tunes are made OK for most all locations, however sometimes they do have to be adjusted or made within standards so it would not be a problem. The tuner in fact may not have the resources to alter the file as it is mainly sold as a general flash.

The second question as to the difference as I recall, however I will have to re-check on it ,was the coding of the Cluster and a few of the pin outs on it.

Old 10-14-2010 | 09:48 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
scott, is that true that few of the tuners in us and europe use your flash client to load files and if so can you expand on that as to how that works? and whats entailed

regards
ronnie

Old 10-17-2010 | 11:34 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Besides timing, boost, and afr what other parameters do you adjust in your tunes?

Old 10-18-2010 | 10:17 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TTdude
Besides timing, boost, and afr what other parameters do you adjust in your tunes?
To many to list as nothing is as simple as just changing the timing as there are multi levels for the timing, timing advance limit, AFR's by fuel tables, lamda controls, fuel injection partial or full load, air mass flow, Boost can be changed in the tables or elsewhere. RPM if asked, Torque limits and I could keep on going.

Old 10-18-2010 | 10:20 AM
|
Basic Sponsor
I wanted to give a everyone heads up as I will be away until 10/24 doing some work for a Race series. I will not be able to reply to questions until after I arrive back.

Best Regards,
Scott

Old 10-28-2010 | 12:39 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Could I ask a question that may have been asked and or answered?

If someone flashes a DME on there 996TT with a tune that allows for operating parameters outside of the factory programming- then "returns the original factory tune" to the DME...is it possible for "Porsche" (this means dealer, PCNA, stuttgart) to detect that the DME was modified?

We can further define this to be 'only for softronic tunes' if that narrows down the answer:

Yes

No

Thanks

A

Old 10-28-2010 | 01:00 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
See Pandora's Box for a discussion on this:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...criticism.html

Old 10-29-2010 | 12:10 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Softronic
I'm currently not making them until further checking on the interaction with these specific engines. E85 should not be used with certain base alloys and plastics in which are used in these.
About the e85, since almost all pump gas in the US has 10% ethanol, I was told that all fuel system parts in all cars made late 80s and later were compatible with ethanol, thoughts on this?

Old 10-29-2010 | 04:07 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TTdude
See Pandora's Box for a discussion on this:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...criticism.html

I wouldn't say this whole thread that you pointed to offers much information. I started to look at it and lost interest on page 6. Most of the experts do not offer any facts other than statements and bias from all ends.

Last edited by Softronic; 10-29-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-29-2010 | 05:01 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by xsbc63x
About the e85, since almost all pump gas in the US has 10% ethanol, I was told that all fuel system parts in all cars made late 80s and later were compatible with ethanol, thoughts on this?
I had a rather long explanation yet when I went to post it the site had me logged off again and then deleted it.

Most cars since 2000 are made for 10% ethanol with 90% gas. This is not the same as 85% ethanol to 15% gas. Most things are not of the same strength or consistency when diluted. E85 should not be used with certain alloys sug as Al or Mg unless coated for it. This is not to say that it has the same effects other alloys such as AlSi as Si has been added to the base.Some items that are typically replaced are the fuel lines, pump etc.

E85 while cheaper than gas does require more to produce the same energy. Typical use is 1.4 gal of E85 to 1 gal of gas.

Old 10-29-2010 | 05:20 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ard
Could I ask a question that may have been asked and or answered?

If someone flashes a DME on there 996TT with a tune that allows for operating parameters outside of the factory programming- then "returns the original factory tune" to the DME...is it possible for "Porsche" (this means dealer, PCNA, stuttgart) to detect that the DME was modified?

We can further define this to be 'only for softronic tunes' if that narrows down the answer:

Yes

No

Thanks

A
I will say that this past weekend we had 20 DFI cars flashed and flashed back to original and two testers from a Porsche Dealer trying to find a flaw and could not. Now granted the tuned file could be fully read out with the proper equipment yet not the Porsche tester and determined to be a of such by the binary. The original restored DME offers nothing different then any other DME pulled from a car on the production line.

Old 10-29-2010 | 05:36 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I will say that this past weekend we had 20 DFI cars flashed and flashed back to original and two testers from a Porsche Dealer trying to find a flaw and could not. Now granted the tuned file could be fully read out with the proper equipment yet not the Porsche tester and determined to be a of such by the binary. The original restored DME offers nothing different then any other DME pulled from a car on the production line.
I know this subject is controversial but I must say from my own experiences so far with my p dealer regarding being able to tell whether the car has ever been flashed, and I can assure you they have done their best to have a look, they have not been able to detect a thing. So maybe their is truth in it that some tuners have mastered this one.

Old 10-29-2010 | 11:21 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
I had a rather long explanation yet when I went to post it the site had me logged off again and then deleted it.

Most cars since 2000 are made for 10% ethanol with 90% gas. This is not the same as 85% ethanol to 15% gas. Most things are not of the same strength or consistency when diluted. E85 should not be used with certain alloys sug as Al or Mg unless coated for it. This is not to say that it has the same effects other alloys such as AlSi as Si has been added to the base.Some items that are typically replaced are the fuel lines, pump etc.

E85 while cheaper than gas does require more to produce the same energy. Typical use is 1.4 gal of E85 to 1 gal of gas.
yea i know, i run it in my 97 supra, and it makes damn good power! i have been running it for 2 years now with 0 issues and all stock fuel lines (minus the one i had to add) - not that a porsche uses the same style fuel lines, but no issues on the supra

Old 10-30-2010 | 09:14 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cgng30
scott, is that true that few of the tuners in us and europe use your flash client to load files and if so can you expand on that as to how that works? and whats entailed

regards
ronnie
scott you must have missed my question, re posted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts