997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning and the Real Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:30 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by edelectra
scott any input on the cam problem with 997 s ?
I wanted to touch back on this question as I have received more info on this . Some reports by dealers has been that a Tuned file caused an insert to rotate in the head in which causes a cam fault. Im not aware of any tuned file by any tuner or even Porsche that would cause this. The vario cam is actuated via oil pressure from a solenoid. These solenoids are in fact what most of any issues are from and is either caused by a short in the windings or broken or contaminated spring plunger.

Any inserts in the water cooled head as in the 996 or 997 coming loose would be from inproper tolerances unless severly overheated. This has not been an uncommon problem over the years and Porsche has always corrected it. These parts are all manufactured for Porsche by other companies and have to be kept in check by them.

Old 12-01-2010 | 01:01 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Scott, here is a question that I always get asked about Softronic... How does the tuning take into account different environments such as altitude. A customer in Colorado would be different then one in Arizona. Or does that not matter?

Old 12-01-2010 | 02:09 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott...thank you for having this thread and thank you for your awesome tune on my 996TT with alpha 28s!!!

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Scott, what's the typical power that you see in one of your stage 2 997 tt cars?

Old 12-01-2010 | 09:09 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, what are the limitations of using a stock MAF with >600 crank HP. What are the draw backs of not using a more robust method of metering air above that level?

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:12 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Scott, here is a question that I always get asked about Softronic... How does the tuning take into account different environments such as altitude. A customer in Colorado would be different then one in Arizona. Or does that not matter?
The tuning does matter for climate to a certain extent. Porsche's tuning or perhaps most tuning to a stock car wouldn't. The tuning to high HP made cars that is very critical in octane and all parameters would. These would be like 800HP 996TT and higher. They would still run and be safe yet would not be optimized for the given location.

The 964 started to use a barometric pressure offset or compensation. The jump to the 7.8 DME in the 996TT and others not only improved on this but added more compensation or rather table adjustments for alt and density etc. Basically most tuning to a car in Florida at higher temps, humidity and at sea level when set correctly within these parameters would be OK also in Colorado. When I mention set correctly I would state that it would be adjusted with these variables in the Porsche (Bosch) file. Problems could arise if the tuner was only capable to make boost and timing changes as an example and exceed the correctable variables.

Last edited by Softronic; 12-04-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: text
Old 12-03-2010 | 06:14 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by bad107
Scott...thank you for having this thread and thank you for your awesome tune on my 996TT with alpha 28s!!!

No problem and Im glad you are enjoying your car .

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:25 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Scott, what's the typical power that you see in one of your stage 2 997 tt cars?
The stage 2 file has been dynoed at about 80BHP. The stage 3 is much faster than all others posted yet it could go into limp mode. I have held back in sending this file out for this reason. Yes it would be very fast and shows high gains yet why when it can go into limp mode? The file has broken all times that I have seen or tried yet I will not release it until it works properly. I do not think getting a very low trap speed and end it in limp mode is worth the press. I'm confident that it will be completed shortly though.

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:37 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Softronic
The stage 2 file has been dynoed at about 80BHP. The stage 3 is much faster than all others posted yet it could go into limp mode. I have held back in sending this file out for this reason. Yes it would be very fast and shows high gains yet why when it can go into limp mode? The file has broken all times that I have seen or tried yet I will not release it until it works properly. I do not think getting a very low trap speed and end it in limp mode is worth the press. I'm confident that it will be completed shortly though.
Dear Scott,

What type of hardware modifications is targeted for stage 3 file ?

Thanks,
Emre

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:45 PM
|
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Zippy
Scott, what are the limitations of using a stock MAF with >600 crank HP. What are the draw backs of not using a more robust method of metering air above that level?

The stock MAF is good up to about 640BHP.When the HP is increased beyond this point the file can go into a pre set configuration given the parameters set to that point. These settings are similar to how a Mafless car runs.

OK this is a question for all to think on and perhaps reply. You could say a riddle me this.
The 996TT uses the same MAP as the 997tt.1 and 997TT.2.
The 997TT.1 can run Mafless yet has a MAF as does the 996TT.
The 997.2 does not use a MAF Though.
What is the difference as to why these cars run this way?

Old 12-26-2010 | 08:18 AM
Chris A. is infamous around these parts
Just bringing this thread back up since its been very informative.

Old 12-26-2010 | 11:23 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Scott,

What power increase can I expect on stock 997TT with just softrnic tune only? Thanks

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:55 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is a before and after dyno. Consider that a exhaust usually accounts for about 10-20whp. The stock exhaust with 400cell cats is a cork, so you will see more torque, but less topend. Still HUGE gains - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/proj...he-next-level/

Old 12-27-2010 | 03:30 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
997.1TT stock cats are 600cell...Dan are you aware what mods are needed for softronic stage3?

Old 12-27-2010 | 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
600? I believe they are 400. Can someone else confirm.

As far as mods for their "stage 3" flash you mean?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tuning and the Real Facts