997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

after market exhaust and egt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
TT are you using durametric for logging? If so how do you get boost to show like that?
Lucky that someone collected all the juicy Durametric threads together...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-software.html
"Boost pressure of sensor" is an Actual Value in the Durametric and it is displayed in mbar. In my car, at idle it is 990 (this number will vary depending on how high above sea level you are - I think). The standard atmosphere (symbol: atm) is a unit of pressure and is defined as being equal 14.696 PSI, 1013.25 mbars (at sea level). 0 Bar reading in the car is actually equal to 14.696 PSI or 1.013 BAR (at sea level) so the gauge is a measurement above atm (the Durametric is a total reading). 1.0 BAR reading in the car is an additional 14.696 psi or 1 additional bar of boost pressure.

Under acceleration, if I record a reading of 1569 through the Durametric it needs to be converted to match the reading on the gauge in the car.
1568 - 990 (reading at idle) = 578 mbar / 1000 = .57 BAR or .6 bar on the gauge or 8.5 psi.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Yes, I'm using Durametric. It spits out boost in mPa. I enter an equation in excel (mPa-950)/1000 to covert it to bar. Likewise for EGT--reads out as Celcius but converted to F using C*1.8+32.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Lucky that someone collected all the juicy Durametric threads together...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-software.html
Yes very helpful indeed. Thank you sir!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !

LOL!!!! Where do you get this stuff...

Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Great to know! Many thanks! So I guess the next question is where does the PLX guage monitor egts, before or after the cats?

EGT sensors are pre-cat

Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Btw, my barometric pressure reads 950 since I'm up higher in elevation. Less O2, which explains why I'm not running in the 5's (60-130) on my vtgs....

Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Great to know! Many thanks! So I guess the next question is where does the PLX guage monitor egts, before or after the cats?
Unless Ron has plugged a new sensor in somewhere, it's got to be reading the same sensor as Durametric.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
LOL!!!! Where do you get this stuff...
Who...Leonidas?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks. Not familiar with a PLX guage. So is the conclusion then even 100 cell cats has enough backpressure to significantly raise egts assuming the numbers are accurate?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cgng30
thanks for taking the time, that is interesting results, as your egt never went over 1300 F, and i see you are running ~ 1.4 boost, that is funny i went for a spirited HS drive yesterday and i didnt data log but i was using my PLX GAUGE, and every thing was on the money except my egt went up too 1650 F, with 100 cell , (full boost, stock tune) so i am confused now, or am i missing some thing here, because what am I going to see if i do a tune with higher boost, theoraticaly it will be worse? unless some thing isnt right with my car?
after doing some more research, it seems like plx might be labeling their sensors incorrectly as i selected cat temp in obd menu to monitor, and in the sensor menu it shows up as egt for the sensor i selected, and from what i found from the plx forum is "Using the Cat temp is not the same as EGT. The cat temp values are normally computed in the software and will not change when you mod the car. There are tables in the tuning software where you tell it what temps the cats will be at for certain rpms and load ranges."

I will have to some more digging in to this,or perhaps i will have to do a durametrics data logging!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Hard to say...I've never used a PLX before, not sure if reads as consistently or accurately as the Durametric (or the other way around.)

Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. Not familiar with a PLX guage. So is the conclusion then even 100 cell cats has enough backpressure to significantly raise egts assuming the numbers are accurate?
i think my plx gauge might be the culprite as to how it is displaying data, i will have to data log it with durametrics and verify for sure

Old 10-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, it will be an interesting comparison between.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
EGT sensors are pre-cat

it seems like it is measured right out of the turbos in the above pics, so the plx has 4 cat temp reading (two are na) and they are interpreting this as egt which i dont think is right as cat temp should be higher then egt , no ? and which is what i am seeing higher then normal reading , i will find this out for sure with Dm logging,....

Last edited by cgng30; 10-17-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Your post got me curious so I did some datalogging. After about 15 min of street/freeway driving in 65 F weather, I WOT'd it. Here is what I got for EGTs (0 cell cat) under some good load and high boost.

which exact parameter did you select for lambda and egt, etc, there are few egt,lambda parameters with have similar wordings, so my test is the same as yours. apples to apples ......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: after market exhaust and egt