997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

first time at the track - prep tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If you don't have a clear bra, bring some wide blue painters tape. Your hood and fenders will appreciate it.

Helmet and extinguisher...not sure if your event requires these.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you don't have a clear bra, bring some wide blue painters tape. Your hood and fenders will appreciate it.

Helmet and extinguisher...not sure if your event requires these.
Really? is it b/c there's a lot of stuff kicked up off a track?

helmet and extinguisher not required for this particular lapping but I believe it is for any "race" events.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 AM
2000gsr is infamous around these parts
What day are you going? Is it on the GP or DDT track? I'll be at the DDT track on Sunday.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Really? is it b/c there's a lot of stuff kicked up off a track?

helmet and extinguisher not required for this particular lapping but I believe it is for any "race" events.
Man, I am REALLY surprised that no helmet is required! Is this an event where you will be following a pace vehicle?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Sounds like this is a very benign lapping day. Other than checking my brakes I wouldn't do a thing.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Sounds like this is a very benign lapping day. Other than checking my brakes I wouldn't do a thing.
Maybe, but as Forrest Gump once said, "**** happens".

Bogg said earlier, '...until I feel comfortable letting her rip'. Does that sound like no helmet required?!?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the tips guys.

I have had the car for less than 6 months and I believe the brake fluid was changed within the year. I don't have time before Sunday to get the brake fluid changed but I don't think it will be a big deal. The other cars and drivers were at the same event last year and I don't think any of them pushed the cars to the point where the brakes faded. The group of cars include M3s, C6Z06, Audi R8, Maserati. I don't think anyone is super experienced on the track and it's more about fun than winning any kind of prize.

I'm pretty conservative. I'll drive around the track a couple of times following some of the more experienced cars until I feel comfortable letting her rip!
Keep your eyes up and moving! Bad stuff happens if you follow & fixate on the car in front of you. He goes off, you go off. Your car will go wherever you're looking. Also, remember that "in a spin, both feet in". Research shows that an amazing number of drivers who are involved in an off-the-track excursion neglect to apply the brakes. It's easier on the car if you get on the brakes rather than hitting some stationary object while still going "flat out". Good advice above on the brake fluid! Have a blast!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
There's no pace car but plenty of monitoring. Specific rules about when, where, and how you are allowed to pass other cars (remember, this isn't a race). It's a closed event just for this charitable event. Some of the guys have gotten over 200km/h on the straightaway last year.

Lol, I don't know what the GP or DDt track refer to but it is the "big" track from what I understand.

Just got my cat delete pipes today from AWE but there won't be any time to try them out unfortunately.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
2000gsr is infamous around these parts
The GP track is the "big" track, you will have tons of fun! I'll be next door at the "small" track. Make sure you wear a helmet!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
There's no pace car but plenty of monitoring. Specific rules about when, where, and how you are allowed to pass other cars (remember, this isn't a race). It's a closed event just for this charitable event. Some of the guys have gotten over 200km/h on the straightaway last year.
Be careful, as u mentioned its not a "race" ... understood. Keep in mind most "track days" folks refer to are called HPDE's (High Performance Drivers Education) not timed racing events. HPDE refers to driving schools held on dedicated race tracks designed to teach drivers proper high speed driving techniques. Inexperienced drivers are required to have an instructor ride along to teach driving line and technique to drive at speed on a track with other cars. These events also have strict rules on passing based on ur "run groups" and require tech inspections and helmets.

Ken

Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Please...WEAR A HELMET!! You'll be going too fast to not protect your head.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Sounds more like parade lapping than an HPDE, esp if they don't require any tech or protective equipment. While all the recs of changing the brake fluid and whatnot are great ideas, probably a bit overkill for this. Regardless, have fun, Asher!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sounds more like parade lapping than an HPDE, esp if they don't require any tech or protective equipment. While all the recs of changing the brake fluid and whatnot are great ideas, probably a bit overkill for this. Regardless, have fun, Asher!
I hope he has fun too but going 125mph (200km) without taking precautions is living too much on the edge for a first timer.

This is beginning to sound like someone's idea of a good time that doesn't understand what they are doing.

I sincerely hope all goes well and everyone has a great time.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey if those guys I hang around with can do this without getting into trouble then I'll be fine. No accidents last year, just one flag (grey or black, I forget which).

There is a drive-around orientation where you stop at every turn and get an explanation. There are some experienced guys in the group and I plan on riding with one of them and/or having them in my car. None of us are yahoos or interested in trashing our cars. Accidents can happen, I understand, but I'm confident it will be a trouble-free event based on the guys attending. Looks like the weather is going to be really nice. Can't wait!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I was checking my fluids today and to my surprise there was no reading on the dipstick for the hydraulic fluid. Didn't notice any steering issues. Guess I'll head off
to find some and top it up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first time at the track - prep tips