997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

first time at the track - prep tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
first time at the track - prep tips

Hi guys,

I have my first track day at Mosport coming up this weekend. I will do the following:

check oil and fluid levels
check nuts and bolts on exhaust
check tire pressures and wheel nuts

any other suggestions for preparation? Would you change the tire pressures for the track? It's not a race, it's a lapping day (for charity no less). I'm a noob on the track so any tips appreciated.

I was going to use race gas and aggressive tune but since this is my first time at Mosport I'll just stick with the regular tune file.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Regarding fluids, if ur brake fluid isn't relatively fresh change it.

Have fun,
Ken

Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 PM
alfordporsche is infamous around these parts
Other Suggestion

Flush brake fluid--No fun losing brakes (pedal goes to floor) when they get hot.

I usually use ATE 200.

Check brake pads and rotors.

PCA chapters (e.g., Peachstate) and probably PCA have track day prep checklists that may be usual to you, including a list of things you should bring with you to the track.

I will be at Road Atlanta at the Peachstate PCA in three weeks. Looking forward to a great time there. I will start prepping my car in a week or so for the DE event.

Have fun!

Regards,

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alfordporsche

Flush brake fluid--No fun losing brakes (pedal goes to floor) when they get hot.

I usually use ATE 200.

Check brake pads and rotors.

I had my brakes go in my E60/M5 at Homestead.....very scary. It was my fault I didnt have them flushed after a previous event, 4k lb car and soft pedal = no bueno.

Ken

Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by floridaBMW
I had my brakes go in my E60/M5 at Homestead.....very scary. It was my fault I didnt have them flushed after a previous event, 4k lb car and soft pedal = no bueno.

Ken

Yikes, that must have been scary. I used to race my '05 CTS-V with a Magnuson supercharger. Used to hit 140mph on the front straight at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. Brakes pulling down 4000lbs over and over again is nothing short of amazing. They never faded on me but I can imagine how scary that would be.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Followup--DE Manual

I could not upload DE Manual--file too large. You can download the Manual.

Go to Peachstatepca.org
click on "driving events"
click on "DE Manual"

There is other information you may find useful such as "FAQ's for DE"; "Before the Event"; and "At the Track".

Click away!

You will have a great time. One piece of advice, do not turn off any of your car's driver's aids (stability control ...). This can result in issues you do not need or want to deal with. Leaving them on will have no negative impact on your performance.

Regards.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Ken--Brakes

Originally Posted by floridaBMW

Ken
I also had a similar experience when I was younger and dumber.

My first time at a DE event in a new 2005 Corvette Z51 at Carolina Motorsports Park my brake pedel went to floor. I mistakenly believed the brake fluid was new enough that I did not need to change it (I had picked up the car at the National Corvette Museum 3 weeks earlier right after it came off the assembly line). I was wrong. The experience was invaluable. I learned very quickly how to use the gears to get the car slowed. I also learned the imporatnce of changing the brake fluid and checking the pads and rotors shortly before every event. It only took 15 mins. to flush the brake fluid in the paddock thereafter and I was back on the track. It took longer to locate brake fluid than it did to change it.

Regards.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by alfordporsche
I also had a similar experience when I was younger and dumber.

My first time at a DE event in a new 2005 Corvette Z51 at Carolina Motorsports Park my brake pedel went to floor. I mistakenly believed the brake fluid was new enough that I did not need to change it (I had picked up the car at the National Corvette Museum 3 weeks earlier right after it came off the assembly line). I was wrong. The experience was invaluable. I learned very quickly how to use the gears to get the car slowed. I also learned the imporatnce of changing the brake fluid and checking the pads and rotors shortly before every event. It only took 15 mins. to flush the brake fluid in the paddock thereafter and I was back on the track. It took longer to locate brake fluid than it did to change it.

Regards.
Could'nt agree with you more, lesson learned the hard way for me.

Ken

Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Don't let the 'red mist' take over. Drive within your limits until you feel comfortable with the track.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
"I need u to move me to the fastest rungroup so I can drive my cars flat out, that is how I drive, flat out"

Ken

Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
thanks for the tips guys.

I have had the car for less than 6 months and I believe the brake fluid was changed within the year. I don't have time before Sunday to get the brake fluid changed but I don't think it will be a big deal. The other cars and drivers were at the same event last year and I don't think any of them pushed the cars to the point where the brakes faded. The group of cars include M3s, C6Z06, Audi R8, Maserati. I don't think anyone is super experienced on the track and it's more about fun than winning any kind of prize.

I'm pretty conservative. I'll drive around the track a couple of times following some of the more experienced cars until I feel comfortable letting her rip!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg

I have had the car for less than 6 months and I believe the brake fluid was changed within the year. I don't have time before Sunday to get the brake fluid changed but I don't think it will be a big deal......I'm pretty conservative.
I would strongly recommend taking to dealer to have it changed if you don't have the time. Safety first-yours and everyone that is on the track with you. Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by PT Doc
I would strongly recommend taking to dealer to have it changed if you don't have the time. Safety first-yours and everyone that is on the track with you. Good luck and have fun.
I agree, you should find the time on this one...MISSION CRITICAL, brakes and tires.

Ken

Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg

I have had the car for less than 6 months and I believe the brake fluid was changed within the year. I don't have time before Sunday to get the brake fluid changed but I don't think it will be a big deal. The other cars and drivers were at the same event last year and I don't think any of them pushed the cars to the point where the brakes faded. The group of cars include M3s, C6Z06, Audi R8, Maserati. I don't think anyone is super experienced on the track and it's more about fun than winning any kind of prize.

I'm pretty conservative. I'll drive around the track a couple of times following some of the more experienced cars until I feel comfortable letting her rip!
Try to find time to have a higher temp brake fluid put in. You'd be surprised how easy it is to boil your fluid within just a couple of laps. Also the longer it's been since last changed, the more chance of having moisture in it. That will also lower the boil point considerably.

Good luck keeping up with the more experienced guys...before you let it rip.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sure none of the other guys changed their brake fluid prior to the last similar event. We're just a bunch of amateurs and won't even come close to pushing the cars to the limits. But thanks for emphasizing this point. If I start tracking regularly then of course it will be done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first time at the track - prep tips