997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo - 6 Speed manual or Tiptronic??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
skydiver is infamous around these parts
997.1 Turbo - 6 Speed manual or Tiptronic??

I know this is the 6 speed forum but I am looking for a 997.1 Turbo and need help deciding on which way to go!

At first I thought why would anyone buy a car like a Turbo with a tiptronic unless of course they didn't know how to drive a manual? But when I started searching through vehicles listed for sale, almost 50% seem to have tiptronic!

I have driven a 6 speed manual and I was blown away! I have not had a chance to drive a steptronic. I do mostly city/highway driving and do not plan to track or race the car. While stop and go traffic can be a pain with a clutch, it is pure enjoyment!

On the other hand when you're planning on blowing away the car next to you at the light, putting it in drive and letting the car do the shifting is much faster than trying to do manual shifts. Plus with the new PDK transmission now, manual shifting is becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately the 997.2 is out of my price range.

I realize it may be a personal choice but perhaps some current owners who have driven/owned both can offer some advice. I would think a Turbo with steptronic may be difficult to sell later as well? If you were to buy a an 07/08 Turbo would it be tiptronic or manual??

Last edited by skydiver; 10-18-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
You'll find an abundant amount of information about this question through the search function. Either way the vehicle is awesome so just go with the one that fits your needs/wants/etc...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TestJet
...To be honest with you, I asked the same question when searching for my car...It's all up to you...I would find the car with all the options you want and just go for it...You can't go wrong with either...They're both fun to drive...A tip will launch better off the line than a manual...Test drive both and go from there..I went with a tip because I didn't want to deal with shifting in bad traffic...I'm happy with mine...I wouldn't worry about resale value, because a car is not something you buy to ever get a return in...Well most cars thats is...

Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
skydiver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skeeter
...To be honest with you, I asked the same question when searching for my car...It's all up to you...I would find the car with all the options you want and just go for it...You can't go wrong with either...They're both fun to drive...A tip will launch better off the line than a manual...Test drive both and go from there..I went with a tip because I didn't want to deal with shifting in bad traffic...I'm happy with mine...I wouldn't worry about resale value, because a car is not something you buy to ever get a return in...Well most cars thats is...
Thanks guys. Unfortunately searching, posting etc is quite limited for new members. I can't even see any links above until I have at least 10 posts! Quite annoying!

I realize what you're saying about shifting in traffic. At the same time I don't want to give up the 'fun factor' of manual shifting which makes it a tough decision. I'm not really concerned about resale value but for some reason I think more people would want a manual. I had a steptronic BMW 540i M a few years ago and several buyers said they would have bought it on the spot if it was a 6 spd manual. Could it be there are a lot of tiptronic Turbo's listed for sale because the manual ones sell first? There are no tiptronic Turbos for sale locally which makes it difficult to drive & compare. For those of you that have driven both, would you say it's just as fun to drive as the manual??

Last edited by skydiver; 10-17-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM
roppy5 is infamous around these parts
I had the same thoughts before I picked up my manual 997tt. It's a tough one. I only drive mine on the weekends so I went with the manual. Also, if you plan on doing some upgrades to your engine or ecu, a Tiptronic might give you some limitations there. I'd do some research here on the forum to find out. My ecu has been flashed and I had to upgrade to GT2 clutch. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
The only gripe I have with the manual is 1st gear... you just use it up way to quick. Beyond that, I love driving the manual on this car... it's very smooth and easy.

It would be nice to be able to just punch it at a stop light and take off to 150mph... but then again, that would probably be too damn easy. At least shifting slows me down and keeps me out of trouble!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
Drive both if you can. The turbo has a hydraulically boosted clutch which is much easier to use in traffic than my old 996 C2.

The tiptronic seems to sell for less than a manual 997 - something that will probably increase as more PDKs are on the used market.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
CarreraMark is infamous around these parts
I have a 996 TT w/ manual and went through this decision making process. Ultimately, the conclusion I can to is that you lose 'some' of the ability to drive the car with a Tip but that trade off was less important to me. This is largely because I love the car and the brand but it is a daily driver and I didn't hit the track or any seriously spirited driving that made me feel like i need a manual.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
I think I know why there are so many Tips in 997.1 Turbos. When that model was first released, the various car mag tests showed the Tip was faster than the manual. Lots of people ordered them with the Tip as a result. Many months later I think I remember some of the tuners found the Tips had the boost set a bit higher at the factory...

The Tip is a very good auto tranny, if you like that sort of thing.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Got mine 6 speed, the M3 is SMG.

If it had an SMG or dual clutch maybe I'd have considered it, but I haven't been turned on by traditional automatic transmissions in a sports car.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I had an E46 M3 6 speed. Loved it and it was never tiring in traffic. Sold that and thought what the heck and bought a '09 C63 with the 7-speed AMG speed shift or whatever it's called. Its pretty neat as it was almost like a real automated manaul as it blips the throttle on downshift in manual mode. Anyways, I left it in auto 99% of the time. It was such a boring car to drive in terms of driver involvement so I sold that as well.

That's why I went with 6speed on mt 2011 TT

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skydiver
I don't want to give up the 'fun factor' of manual shifting
Sounds like you already made your decision. You just haven't realized it yet.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TestJet
how you do dat?