997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch beginning to go... replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:13 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Sachs stage 2 clutch , all you need, similar feel to stock.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Babag 007
Thanks Robert. Agreed; the product and price appear spot on. While visiting Vivid I also reviewed their Clutch Masters 8.5in Twin Disk Clutch w/ Flywheel. More substantial and priced accordingly, I am unsure if it is overkill for my needs. Likely producing HP in the low to mid 600's. I also will likely put no more than 20,000 miles on the car over next 2 yrs before purchasing a 2011 or newer.
I have the way over kill clutch setup. You know when my car is in gear because there is absolutely no slippage with my triple disk ATS with LWFW.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Babag 007
Seattle,

I see you lowered your 07' TT. My car is nearly the same ride w/ Fabspeed upgrades. Wondering what lowering the car did from both a cornering standpoint as well as making the ride bumpier. I'd love to corner better but I also don't want to have a rougher ride. Trying to avoid plunking down coin for a 2011...

Also, you mentioned that the new clutch took a few weeks to get used to. Is it a bear or, now that you are used to it, is it like factory smooth?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad,

I bought the car with all of these mods already installed. I've actually never been in another 997 Turbo, stock or otherwise, so I can tell you if the ride is a lot worse or not. I'm assuming that it is stiffer than stock. With sport mode on it certainly does let you feel every bump. In regular mode I'd actually prefer it to be a little less 'bouncy'. It is perfectly smooth for my tastes and not at all abusive to my behind.

I actually posted a few times about the clutch when I first got the car. Keep in mind that it had been 2.5 years since I had owned a manual car and therefore I was a little rusty. The clutch engagement point on my car is really high. It also engages very quickly. There is not a lot of slip so you can easily stall it if you forget to input a few more revs as you let out the clutch. The LWFW decels very quickly as the clutch engages as well. That is all part of the learning curve. I don't find it difficult at all now. Every once in a while I do still have a jumpy first gear start but overall I really like it. Makes it feel very direct and fits the overall theme of the car as it is currently set up. My 3-year old describes the 911 as Daddy's race car.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor
Kai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant future
It just comes down to preference of how aggresive you'd like to go and what your future power mods will be. If you plan on modding the car to a good amount of power down the line you might as well do the clutch accordingly while you are 'in there'

Old 10-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Babag 007 is infamous around these partsBabag 007 is infamous around these parts
All great feedback! Much thanks.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Sachs stage 2 clutch , all you need, similar feel to stock.
Thats what I have, works great, cant tell a difference than stock other than it grabs like mad and handles my mods no problem.